Double Taper lines

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

PA Limestoner
Master Guide

Double Taper lines

Post by PA Limestoner »

Does anybody manufacture DT fly lines in 60 ft or 20 meters. Looking for plastic lines. Thanks

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Double Taper lines

Post by mer »

Not that short that I am aware of.
Sounds like "get a Hook and Hackle 90ft DT and cut 30ft off" to me.

trouts

Post by trouts »

Bass Pro sells their Small Stream lines in DT, but they are only 45'. This or cutting a full length DT line is probably your best bet.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

Yes, sixty feet seems an odd length among lines. 406 makes theirs at 80' I believe and Orvis used to make a lot of theirs, both DT and WF, at 82'. For very small stream fishing with a very light rod, a 5'5" one piece Tom Smithwick bamboo, I cut a Cortland DT4 in half and spooled it on an Orvis CFO I with some backing. It can do anything you need on small trout streams, shooting some backing if you need more than 45' plus leader. The CFO I was just right for balance, appearance and function on that rod.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Double Taper lines

Post by ibookje »

Barrio makes a great DT in 82 ft.
Price is nice too :)

https://www.flylineshop.com/barrio-mallard-dt.html

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

Not sure why you want such a short DT except to fit into a reel with limited capacity. You could of course buy a standard DT and cut the middle 30‘ out of it and splice or weld the two 30‘ ends together if it‘s important.

Morten

Post by Morten »

406 DT fly lines are 75 feet, or 25 yards. So the body should be around 20 yards.

BambooNut
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BambooNut »

Morten wrote:
06/22/20 05:14
406 DT fly lines are 75 feet, or 25 yards. So the body should be around 20 yards.
It says they're 80'.

https://406flylines.com/shop/ols/produc ... esentation

tabrods406
Guide

Post by tabrods406 »

BambooNut wrote:
06/22/20 10:28
Morten wrote:
06/22/20 05:14
It says they're 80'.

Tom from 406 Fly Lines here. You are correct it is 80' for 2 through 5 weight and 90' for 6 through 8 weight. We had originally planned to do 75' lines but due to manufacturing constraints we went with 80'.

Tom

Morten

Post by Morten »

I stand corrected then. Just looked at the package, it has 75 yards written on it. But nevertheless, 406 DT 5, are the least bulky of all the wannabee silk line out there.

Dwight
Guide

Post by Dwight »

Like 16pmd said, you can cut a portion of the middle out (leaving two ends comprising the length line you want) and then splice the two ends together. That is done by pulling a short piece of 20lb backing coated in flexible epoxy through the 'hollow' middle of the core of each end butt end to join the ends. The result is a clean, smooth, strong joint. Dwight

L Swearingen
Sport

Post by L Swearingen »

Why would he want such a short line ?
So he can cast "the whole line" of course !

Larry Swearingen
http://planingforms.webs.com

RAZINGKANE
Guide

Post by RAZINGKANE »

I'm pretty sure I know the issue you're having and why 60' would be ideal. I have several J Austin Forbes reels...great reels, lovely and well made, but they barely hold a full length line, and at that, they want to rub on the reel body, and that is with no backing. Unfortunately, although I love the reels, I use them for small river/stream fishing only with lines 5 wt and under and cut a full length DT in half and add appropriate backing. Not ideal by any means, but you do get two lines for the price of one. (Tongue in cheek.) Oh yeah, I use both Cortland 444's and Cortland Sylk, and of course the problem is worse with the 444's. All this begs the question, "Why manufacture reels that won't handle standard lines at all?" If reels are produced and marketed as being proper for certain line weights, then I figure they ought to hold the line and at least some backing. Having to cut 20-30' out of the middle and splicing is not just a pain, but just plain wrong. My opinion.

John

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”