First bamboo rod and reel

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Tntrout

First bamboo rod and reel

Post by Tntrout »

I am looking into buying my first bamboo rod and reel.I fish the smoky mountains, and tail waters in middle tn.I would like a vintage rod and reel to use with silk line.I will be using the rod for size 14 to 20 nymphs and dry flys.What would be some good rods and reels to look into?

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: First bamboo rod and reel

Post by Loogie »

TNtrout welcome to the bamboo forum. You will get lots of great answers. If you will fish tailgaters and SMNP streams, a nice vintage Granger 8040 would be perfect. Its an 8', 4 oz 5wt fly rod, a classic if you will. And they are affordable...your problem will be locating one, however any 5 weight fly rod under 4 oz will be terrific. I am sure more comments will be forthcoming, just want you to know that if you get an 8040, your quest is over, dont bother reading any more posts...just kidding.

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

What Loogie said, an 8040 Granger would be a good fit for you. A nice Pflueger 1494 Medalist would make a combo. I might add that for me the Goodwin Granger "Favorite" and the Wright & McGill Granger trade rod I've had both cast a 406 DT4F line very well.

Tntrout

Post by Tntrout »

Thanks for the answers.I did a little looking around for a 8040 granger and had no luck.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Sorry, but the Granger 8040 gets recommended because it's a good rod. In fact, the rods guys will recommend will be good rods, we wanna help. The Featherweight Heddons at 7 1/2' and 8' get notice (more of them around); their 3-pc models, too. Fine rods, lots were made and I've seen several listed lately. The South Bend 296 gets mention, good rod whose price has stayed fairly steady o ver the years. Then there's the Orvis line, bazillions of them out there, with prices fairly steady too. Not all Orvii are good rods (IMHO some are sort of weird to me, like the Nymph, ugh), but they are durable and hold good value. I own two and they are models I think are great, and am proud to own and fish them.

Have you perused the scores of rods from dealers on Collecting here?

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Hey took a quick look, and this popped up, not pristine but good for reference:

GOODWIN GRANGER ROD CO. - MODEL "GRANGER VICTORY", 8' 3PC 2 TIP 4-5 WT. Medium fast dry fly action. #8040. Rod was re-finished at some point. Mid is short 1 1/2". Rod looks great! /bright nickel silver ferrules. Wrapped in green and black varigated silks and tipped in goden yellow. Western styled cork grip with up-locking full nickel silver reelseat. Rod comes packed in olive cloth rod bag and stored in factory labeled rod tube. Rod is in excellent fishing condition. $595.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Other than my dislike of 2-piece rods, I like the 7 1/2' Fishkill by Montague. The 7 1/2' Orvis 3 7/8 oz is a popular all around trout rod, but will run around $250 more than the Montague. The Heddons mentioned are also good choices along with the Granger 8040. If this is you first and likely only bamboo, my recommendation is to find a 7 1/2' Orvis. They rarely have problems. Spend a few hours researching on this forum to gain some insight as ro what to look for prior to plunking down cash.

Perry Palin
Master Guide

Post by Perry Palin »

Writing from the Upper Midwest, I have to mention the rods built on the PHY Perfectionist taper. A noted regional rod maker donates rods based on the Perfectionist taper for fundraiser raffles because, he says, "I've never met anyone who didn't like that rod." It's a 7 1/2 foot 4-5 wt rod, and mine is 3 1/2 oz. For the size of flies you are fishing, the Perfectionist would be great.

The other recommendations you have received are all good ones. You don't define "vintage" or give us an idea of your budget, and that makes it a little harder to respond.

The Orvis impregnated rods are just about bomb-proof. I have a 7 1/2 foot Battenkill (at the larger 4 oz size) that I fish with a 5wt line. It has a non-critical issue with one of the tip tops, but other than that it's great after many years of service. But I'm thinking about selling it since I got my Perfectionist.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Spotted a 7 1/2' 2/2 Black Beauty on a seller's list, 695., decent price. Great rod. As Perry says, and many others, the Orvis is a goodie to consider.

123dooclimber
Sport

Post by 123dooclimber »

Hi, I have an early Granger Victory 8040.. I purchased it from a forum member a few years back. He had all of the ferrules reseated. I had 1 thin overcoat of spar varnish to freshen it up. It looks good, nd fishes good. $350 plus $20 shipping to conus. It comes with the original rodbag and black fiber tube. If you're seriously interested in this rod, Email me and I'll send you some pictures. My email is: dooclimber@yahoo.com This is a good stable rod that casts and fishes very well and it will give you years of good fly fishing. Regards, Paul...

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”