Traveling to fish

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

jimwright
Master Guide

Traveling to fish

Post by jimwright »

In a week or so I'll be leaving for a 2 week trip in western Montana. I normally fly Southwest into Spokane then drive over into Montana. Lately I've watched some programs showing the TSA procedures and getting through terminals and that with the thought of spending a few hours in a closed airplane surrounded by strangers gave me a bit of pause. I have decided to drive instead and should be where I stay in Montana with about a 6 hour drive the 3rd day. I'll actually spend a little less on the trip without the flight and rental car. I'll have 4 days more invested but I've got the days available and will be able to take a bit more stuff that I don't really need this way too.
I was wondering if anyone else had chosen not to fly on a coming trip?

ctwhite
Guide

Re: Traveling to fish

Post by ctwhite »

I've put off a western trip in lieu of more time spent here in the east. All of it by (pickup truck), including a long-haul drive to the Carolinas. Travel costs should be right in line with what air travel and car rental would have been, so no worries there. As a self-employed person, my time is flexible. I haven't logged serious drive time in a few years and I'm kinda looking forward to it. It's a great way to experience the country...

Oxbow
Master Guide

Post by Oxbow »

Ditto for me but for the same and some different reasons. Next Sunday I will start driving to Montana but with a canoe on top for the Smith River and then fishing for a week after that. But I agree - the vehicle is really nice for taking all the stuff you want to bring, especially my 2 piece rods which normally don't make the plane trip. My drive will take 29 hours and I don't mind a bit - quite relaxing for me.
In September I will be back for another 2 weeks and again will drive which does not eat into my fishing time that much cause I drive straight through with rest stops. I would not want to take a plane trip right now due to the virus and so am happy to drive and see the country.

TimM
Master Guide

Post by TimM »

I just drove about 11 hours one way for a UP / WI trip. In the past few years I'd flown to save two vacation days but I made up for the drive by stopping to visit friends along the way. Happily a lot of long stretches that were 55 MPH have been upgraded to 65 MPH which cut down on the time. I may drive again next year. :)

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

I fly for a living, in my airline it is mandatory to wear a mask. I have been flying a full schedule since this whole thing started. The procedures in place at airports are pretty strict, if you follow them you will be safe. If you choose to ignore the mask or the distancing rules around the airport or for that matter your hygiene rules on the road, the gas station, the bathrooms, the gas handles et, you will be exposed. Dont think for a minute that a gas station in the middle of nowhere is safer than an aircraft. I am not trying to convince anyone about what they feel comfortable doing or not, it matters not to me, but I am just making you aware that the inside of an aircraft is safer than many places you might encounter that are not obvious. Without getting technical our a/c have Heppa filters and they move the air out of the cabin every 2 minutes. The exposures and exponential growth of the virus is mostly in the 18-34 age for obvious reasons, large conglomerations with no distancing. Cabins in a/c are very controlled, if you dont follow the rules you get kicked out period. There are plenty of people operating a/c every day flight attendants to pilots that are not catching this bug. Passengers are still flying, if you decide to fly follow the rules. If you drive, you are exposed to a whole myriad of other threats, so be smart. Driving longer than 6 hours is the equivalent of x amount of alcohol in your body according to an Air Force Study, so dont push your drive and end up pushing daisies because you have to make a 12 hour drive. Just thought I would share my perspective, the news isn't always accurate.

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

Hi Dave, thanks for the input. I would reconsider but I lived in Billings back in 1973-74 and haven't been back since. I've contacted some of the guys I used to work with (the ones still alive) and I'm going to stay a couple of nights and swap tales. Besides I'm not very smart and still actually like driving.

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

IMO, airplanes are used to cross oceans. Everywhere else, I drive. I have made exceptions but only for health (treatment for my wife) reasons. I honestly believe the planes are probably safe altho there doesn't seem to be any consistency in the way they are dealing with this pandemic. Airports OTOH are (once again IMO) the cesspools of sanitation in the US. I'll stick to the road.

EP
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

From another perspective, and one many may not have thought of -- your shoe soles. Before the outbreak, many of my fellow Asian American friends and family routinely left their shoes at the door, and then don slippers for the house. This is normal in Japan and in Hawaii, less so on the Mainland, but it's still pretty common. Just think of the one surface we can't avoid, the ground, and whatever lands there. Sure, we can avoid or clean our hands after touching packages, counters, gas pump handles, door handles, dispensers and such, but that pesky ground thing...like the dirty bottom of the purse thing, whatever that has touched then touches your carpet, table, chair, etc.

I have two spray bottles of a bleach solution, one for the car, one for the front door, and I spray my soles before entering.

Cimarron
Guide

Post by Cimarron »

At least on the news, they say that if you have to spend more than one night on the road, it's safer to fly. I too wold prefer to drive, just to have control of my environment, but like Loogie said, there are many uncontrollable situations out there. If I could sleep in the car or a tent, I'd think about it. Every summer we drive to our cabin in Canada, which probably won't let us in any time soon, but the thought of four days on the road with all the unknowns and a medically fragile child is way too much to consider. Summer in the mountains is starting to look really good, if only it would rain.

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

Eric Peper wrote:
06/30/20 20:10
IMO, airplanes are used to cross oceans. Everywhere else, I drive. I have made exceptions but only for health (treatment for my wife) reasons. I honestly believe the planes are probably safe altho there doesn't seem to be any consistency in the way they are dealing with this pandemic. Airports OTOH are (once again IMO) the cesspools of sanitation in the US. I'll stick to the road.

EP
If you dont travel in airplanes how do you know there is no consistency in the way they are handling the pandemic? If you are getting this through the media then you are misinformed. The media reports are questionable on their knowledge about the protocols established. Same for the airports disinfecting and operating. If you actually travel you will see that the mitigation procedures are real and effective or this would not be happening. Controlling access in and out etc. Don't say they are inconsistent if you haven't experienced it during this pandemic. I would also stick with the major airlines (standardization of process) vs the small low cost carriers, crossing the US from east to west coast for example takes longer than flying to London from the east coast. Where you sit matters in comfort. All the major airports I fly to have very strict protocols in place, I feel safer there than a lot of places people are using with minimal procedures, for example grocery stores, Lowes or similar places, in those places if someone chooses not to wear a mask, there is nothing you can do about it if the business doesn't enforce it. You try to drop your mask on our airplanes, you'll be walking. Stick to the road its your choice, but dont make assertions about something you haven't even experienced during this pandemic.

I'm with Flykuni, I dont use anything in my house that I use to walk outside for work. Those shoes gear and carry on stay outside and they get sprayed period.

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

I just returned from Montana and Idaho. Flew American, Chicago re-routed to Dallas, then to Bozeman and back. On the way out MANDATORY MASKS on the planes, every other seat occupied. At O'Hare 90% of folks were masked, in Dallas 50%. While in Montana only shop owners and out of state folks were wearing masks. Cat calls from the unmasked a couple times associating the mask as a political statement. In Idaho even worse. We passed up going out to some restaurants and fly shops due to no apparent effort to spread tables out or require staff to mask. We ate outside as mush as possible. One restaurant we watch the two spritz 2 wipe cleaning of a table. Not very effective technique.

On the way home, same situation except the planes were fuller. 85% full plane on Dallas to Chicago flight. Pilot had to warn passengers twice to put face masks on. Some folks felt it is a personal affront to there personal beliefs to practice safe health practices during this pandemic.

My advice if you walk, drive or fly, wear a mask at all times, sanitize surfaces you are coming in contact with, CONSTANTLY. Avoid locations where staff and patrons obviously do not care about yours or their health.

Carl

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Years ago I had made the trip by driving from N.J. and back three times. I was young and foolish then, (Now I'm old and foolish). All I can tell you is that it's a LOOOOONG ride. For me if I HAD to go to MT. I'd fly, wear a mask and disinfect everything you are about to touch.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

This whole situation makes traveling no fun...
I’m probably go fish less this year because of Covid

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

Loogie wrote:
07/01/20 07:19

If you dont travel in airplanes how do you know there is no consistency in the way they are handling the pandemic? Stick to the road its your choice, but dont make assertions about something you haven't even experienced during this pandemic.
Sorry if my remarks bothered you, but I believe I stated in each case that they were my opinions NOT "assertions." I WILL confess that at 78 I am very gunshy about participating in any travel conveyance involving more people than my wife and me.
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Last year I traveled fairly extensively to fish, both in US and internationally, and this year have been doing the opposite. I've been researching overlooked streams for day trips from my house (some longish days), and have been having a ball. Unsung places can provide very nice sport, solitude and a sense of discovery, when there is no fly shop withing 50 miles. YMMV. It's taken a pandemic to force this on me, but this experience has been a silver lining.
Another thing I am grateful for is the great bass fishing/lakes in this part of the country. Not that I indulge, but so many others do!
Last edited by creakycane on 07/01/20 11:55, edited 1 time in total.

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

Since my bride is a 2 time cancer survivor with limited immune capabilities we travel via auto/camper. Our Airstream provides us with a safe travel mode to and from the destination, plus a wonderful place to stay once we're there! Fuel stops are strictly for fuel and I am gloved at those times.

You are absolutely correct as to the reception you receive in some of the NW states as well as others with low Covid19 numbers... and some of those folks are starting to pay the price. We were recently on the White River in Arkansas where the county only had 5 or 6 cases by mid-May. The numbers there have exploded, as well as here in Huntsville, AL. We are still thinking about a trip out to Rapid City and the Black Hills as their numbers are quite low.... but with Trump and his congregation celebrating the 4th at Rushmore we're in a wait and see mode... both for the trip out (via air) and the stay.

Ralph

GrsdLnr
Master Guide

Post by GrsdLnr »

jimwright wrote:
06/30/20 16:54

I was wondering if anyone else had chosen not to fly on a coming trip?
I usually go by air to upstate NY and PA for trout and spend a month or so early May to June - cancelled this year. Second choice would have been early fall but not going then either - less out of concerns about air travel safety than because I have the misfortune to reside in a state that's designated as an out of control COVID hotspot, NY insists on a mandatory quarantine of 2 weeks and spending half my trip stuck inside a hotel is a deal-breaker (not blaming NY state authorities at all - they paid a heavy price already and understandably don't want a repeat of March/April)

Finding fly fishing worthy of the name requires a minimum 7 - 8 hour drive, so that's that.

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

Eric Peper wrote:
07/01/20 10:32
Loogie wrote:

If you dont travel in airplanes how do you know there is no consistency in the way they are handling the pandemic? Stick to the road its your choice, but dont make assertions about something you haven't even experienced during this pandemic.
Sorry if my remarks bothered you, but I believe I stated in each case that they were my opinions NOT "assertions." I WILL confess that at 78 I am very gunshy about participating in any travel conveyance involving more people than my wife and me.
Nope, your remarks dont bother me at all, I am trying to inject reality to the situation, this is your quote "I honestly believe the planes are probably safe altho there doesn't seem to be any consistency in the way they are dealing with this pandemic." To me that says you are aware of inconsistencies in the way the airlines are dealing with this. My remark was in reference to that, how many times have you flown during this pandemic? Can you make that statement and be credible? If you have experienced inconsistencies then I stand corrected, if you haven't then its a conjecture in the form an assertion that is not true.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

Loogie wrote:
07/01/20 13:07
Eric Peper wrote:
07/01/20 10:32
Loogie wrote:

Nope, your remarks dont bother me at all, I am trying to inject reality to the situation, this is your quote "I honestly believe the planes are probably safe altho there doesn't seem to be any consistency in the way they are dealing with this pandemic." To me that says you are aware of inconsistencies in the way the airlines are dealing with this. My remark was in reference to that, how many times have you flown during this pandemic? Can you make that statement and be credible? If you have experienced inconsistencies then I stand corrected, if you haven't then its a conjecture in the form an assertion that is not true.
Loogie, are you flying in the front of the plane (pilot)? or in the back?

American Airlines is now filling every seat.
Recently a TSA whistleblower said that conditions are unsafe in security check-thru.

Airports are miserable places of mass humanity where you don’t have control over general “jack-wagonry”.

Driving, the only thing that you cannot avoid, is the gas pump. Which you can disinfect. You can avoid the public restrooms, and other health risks.

In Covid-free times, airline travel has always been a crap-shoot in regards to colds, flu, etc.

No one in my car is sitting behind me coughing up a lung.....

BTW, I fly a lot. Not now.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

I hope this thread doesn't erupt, because we're chatting and discussing like adults. Hat's off, boys. I have a personal story to tell re this pandemic -- my extended family is huge, branches of us are in SF, TX, MI, SC, PA and now even Oxford, England, and we've stayed pretty smart about being safe. I dreaded the thought that with so many in the family one of us would eventually "get it." It has happened, a niece, mid 30s, church-going girl, living very safely and observing precautions. She has no idea how she got it.

She tested positive after showing early symptoms, and went into quarantine. She was close to entering a hospital, but was advised to stay home till things worsened, and battled at home for the past month. She's had the cough, diarrhea, headaches, body aches, fever, fatigue and worst, she went into a dark place and confessed to the family she thought of ending it. Now, this is a strong-minded, Christian girl, this niece of mine.

She has found support from us and from online groups. She tells us she is what is called a "long-hauler," meaning, she has months of recovery. There seem to be many different reactions out there, from flu-like cases, to incapacitation and death. It may come back, we're not sure on the anti-body factor, she's now in a better frame of mind. We just don't know everything we need to know about this virus--we've learned the hard way about HPV, HIV, Herpes Simplex 2, and others. This one is yet in the first phase. So, take care my friends.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”