Traveling to fish

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

davemaine
Guide

Re: Traveling to fish

Post by davemaine »

I'm only traveling to places I can get to in my own car this season. No way I'm spending time in an enclosed space with others--and that includes friends and extended family members. This virus is no joke!

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

Loogie, are you flying in the front of the plane (pilot)? or in the back?

American Airlines is now filling every seat.
Recently a TSA whistleblower said that conditions are unsafe in security check-thru.

Airports are miserable places of mass humanity where you don’t have control over general “jack-wagonry”.

Driving, the only thing that you cannot avoid, is the gas pump. Which you can disinfect. You can avoid the public restrooms, and other health risks.

In Covid-free times, airline travel has always been a crap-shoot in regards to colds, flu, etc.

No one in my car is sitting behind me coughing up a lung.....

BTW, I fly a lot. Not now.
[/quote]

Brooks, I fly the airplane, but I do get to deadhead (ride in the back quite often). My observations are from going to work every week. It's definitely a choice to fly or not to fly, I am just giving a perspective from a different point of view, not trying to convince anyone. I believe it is safe even if the plane is full, if you have folks that obey the rules, and we make that crystal clear before we close the door. There are a lot of procedures and process in place to clean these cabins to standards, but obviously its not for everyone, and there are folks that are at higher risk than others.
The TSA whistleblower was in one location, and I haven't read his complaint, I have seen and experienced TSA in lots of airports during this pandemic, I can tell you from experience, that the only place I was worried was Canada, they had no social distancing rules before the security flow. In general I see folks being very compliant in the US, they want to travel after all. Like I said, flying is an option, if you measure the pros and cons, it might be a good option, then again it may not, it depends on the reason for travel. I just want folks to hear the perspective from a professional that does this for a living, its not perfect and there are risks. Thats up to everyone to make that decision. Driving long distances has risks as well, and not necessarily CV-19. Like anything if you do it smartly and plan ahead you will mitigate those risks. If you are planning on driving 3,000 miles, I would venture to say its safer to fly.

Doug K
Master Guide

Post by Doug K »

drove out to fetch #1 son from MN. In CO and MN masks are prevalent, in IA and NE not so much.. my wife went into a gas station in NE and the (unmasked) clerk said, 'first mask I've seen today' at about 4pm..
odd.

I was surprised to realize just how fast the air turns over in the aircraft, didn't know it was that quick.
The flying itself is probably relatively low-risk - Hepa filters, air is replaced fully in 2-3min, air is dry so not hospitable for the virus.
The main worry would be the airport for me.
A friend is a pilot and has been flying all through this thing, he's still healthy..

we are driving out again to MN to take another son to college..
but no fishing longer than I can go and return in a day..

tiptop
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by tiptop »

I'll be driving out west to fish next week. Normally I fly and rent a car but I'm sorry, I don't believe the airlines are as safe as they claim. When you're sitting a couple feet away from a half dozen people, not to mention all the other people on the plane, I just don't believe that the air filtration system is able to assure safety. And while masks should be worn, their effectiveness is debatable. My wife an I have flown several time a year over the last 20 years and it seems like every time we return one of us catches a cold (virus) on the plane. I'd rather fly, but not this year.

cregb
Master Guide

Post by cregb »

Since my Alaska trip to the Kanektok was cancelled for late July, I decided to pivot to local trips. Currently staying in a familiar cabin on the Watauga in Tennessee for the holiday weekend social distancing and within limited driving distance.

Water releases from the S. Holston and Watauga were not ideal today and will chase them tomorrow to get in some tail water fishing time. Meanwhile, wet my line on a small local stream and spent time about 5800 ft on balds which isn’t bad for East of the Mississippi.

The flower is a Grays lily which is endangered and a little uncommon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilium_grayi

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

Beautiful!

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”