Out of the closet

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Out of the closet

Post by narcodog »

Well, it's not what you all think. In a previous thread about a sinking silk fly line, folks come up with different solutions, some good and then there are others.

So where am I going with this? I, yes me, I formulated "Otter Butter". Through a handshake agreement Michael Hackney asked me if I would be interested in letting him manufacture and sell the formulation. He came up with the name and packaging. It was my idea to use a section of chamois instead of the felt pads used in other dressings. In the beginning it got a nice stipend but over the years according to Micheal, cost went up and and my share dropped. That is not a big deal, I'm just glad that folks are using the Butter and are satisfied with the product. Michael has done a few changes from what I have read and I have changed what I make for myself over the years. It's better now then when it first came out. I also developed a completely natural product that also woks well. I make it very limited quantity's and have just given it to a few folks to test. One tested really went above his test and provided me with great feed back.

As was stated in the previous thread new lines need some extra application, so they will float longer. This is what I recommend. Warm the O.B. and be sure the chamois pad is THOROUGHLY saturated. Then run your line both ways through the butter. Let it rest about 30min and repeat. Then before you hit the water again run the line both ways through the O.B. I then wait about 20 mins so the stuff will set up.

In cold weather I put the container in front of the vehicle heater or just put it in my pocket so it's warm by the time I get ready to make the application.

Now hot weather can produce a different problem. The product has a melting point of about 105* as a result your pad will sink into the OB. Just pull it out scrape some off back into the container. Now you need to still go in both directions but wipe any excess off. I just squeeze the pad more tightly which should remove the excess.

Then I fish, I can usually fish 8 or more hours without re dressing. Now some will say BS, well that's your opinion. Folks that fish with me can attest to it.

Here is another little tip. About a month ago a forum member contacted me about a line he had that would not float. Now I am no expert but I had him send the line to me. I without dressing I took the line to a pond and fished it for about an hour it would not sink. I then took it down to the crick and fished it about another hour it still would not sink all of the way, just here and there.

What I did was wash that line and two others in a mild detergent and removed all of the old dressing. The water was dirty after washing. I redressed the line and sent it home. If you are having problems with your silk line sinking after dressing wash and dry the line and see how it preforms afterward.

Dwight
Guide

Re: Out of the closet

Post by Dwight »

Narcodog,

If you, or anyone on this forum, can tell me how to dress a silk line to repeatedly swing soft hackles and wets under tension for a couple hours while the line remains on the surface (not suspended in the surface or just below), i will be a very happy angler indeed (: I've tried all manner of dressings (otter butter, mucilin and zen) and applications (including those you mentioned) and I cannot achieve that feat swinging for trout or steelhead. If possible, the line would release from the surface for spey and role casts effortlessly!

Dwight

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

It's been my experience fishing silk lines that they "float" differently than modern plastic lines. They seem to float "in" the surface not "on" the surface like a plastic line. I typically get 4 or 5 hours of fishing my double-taper silks then switch ends. That while using either Otter Butter or Mucelin.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

"What I did was wash that line and two others in a mild detergent and removed all of the old dressing. The water was dirty after washing. "

That is actually a good "trick" even on modern plastic lines. Warm water, a little bit (couple drops) of Dawn dish detergent, soak it, pull through a sponge, rinse off. I'm guessing for a silk line something like Woolite may be better.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

What is in OB? You dont hv to reveal trade secrets, but I’d like to know a little bit about a substance thats on my hands and in my gear bag.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

Otter Butter ingredients:

Paraffin
STP oil treatment
Eye of Newt
Durian fruit extract
EVOO
Used turkey fryer oil
glycerin
Bacon fat
Fossilized Mastodon urine

cregb
Master Guide

Post by cregb »

There should probably be a slight pinch of tongue of bat in there as well. 😂

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

Flykuni3 wrote:
07/12/20 15:55
What is in OB? You dont hv to reveal trade secrets, but I’d like to know a little bit about a substance thats on my hands and in my gear bag.
There is no lead in it, since you live in Calif. ;) It contains waxes and essential oils. :D Although DrL. has got a great list :rollin

16parachuteadams
Master Guide

Post by 16parachuteadams »

Great stuff Dog, I liked the original just fine and the newer samples seem just as good particularly in the hot weather. Keep up the good work and come fishing soon.

Silver Doctor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Silver Doctor »

I have used Otter Butter for many years now and just want to thank you for a great product. I initially bought only a small sample plastic container but after a few days of great results bought two large tins. Use it on both my silk and plastic fly lines. Cant count the number of times I have encountered guys on the water with sinking tips that I have "fixed" with a quick clean and O/B application.

All my fly lines get a thorough cleaning after season ends with mild detergent. Some streams I fish are worst than others and need cleaning during the season, especially those waters that flow through urban areas. Don’t forget to also clean and treat your furled leaders the same way to extend their life and floatability.
Last edited by Silver Doctor on 10/15/21 08:38, edited 1 time in total.

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

Otter Butter is good stuff, I have been using it for years and generally I fish only about 5 or 6 hours so I never noted the line sinking after an application.
But I only have my Ghillie touch the nasty stuff, he's grown an extra ear so I think it's pretty safe.
For the faint of heart, and mind, continue to use Mucilin and watch you line start to sink after a few hours, heck it time to fish wet flies downstream anyways.

Eddie Southgate
Master Guide

Post by Eddie Southgate »

Are there two Otter Butters ? I see one listed as Cutthroat Otter Butter and one listed as the original made by The Eclectic Angler . I have always used the traditional Red Mucilin but will try the Otter Butter on a new 3dt Phoenix line when I know which one to buy .
Wore out old rod junkie , WILL WORK FOR RODS .

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

Eddie Southgate wrote:
10/14/21 13:21
Are there two Otter Butters ? I see one listed as Cutthroat Otter Butter and one listed as the original made by The Eclectic Angler . I have always used the traditional Red Mucilin but will try the Otter Butter on a new 3dt Phoenix line when I know which one to buy .
Eclectic angler sells to cuttthroat and puts their logo on it.

GrayHackleRods
Master Guide

Post by GrayHackleRods »

Eddie Southgate wrote:
10/14/21 13:21
There are a number of resellers that sell Otter Butter, I think CutThroat is the only one that rebrands it. I too carry it in my store and supply a small tub with each furled leader.
Regards,
Lee
http://www.grayhacklerods.net
lee@grayhacklerods.net
Monument, CO
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm.
Patrick F. McManus

Eddie Southgate
Master Guide

Post by Eddie Southgate »

Thanks , I'll give it a try .
Wore out old rod junkie , WILL WORK FOR RODS .

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”