Small stream/strong winds rod recs

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

taylor16
Sport

Small stream/strong winds rod recs

Post by taylor16 »

Hello from the Billings/Red Lodge area of Montana-
I’ve been enjoying fishing some of the small creeks in the Beartooths for small but eager brook trout with my 5/6wt Dickerson 761510 RB as well as my Sweetwater 7’9” 5wt pent rods and would love to have something more delicate for these waters. The winds are often an issue and very strong. Any suggestions or recs for a lighter weight rod that could handle some wind?

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Small stream/strong winds rod recs

Post by Flykuni3 »

Driggs, 7’2 for 5?

McHull
Master Guide

Post by McHull »

Payne 98
I have a clone that would be right at home on the streams you've described.
A 7' 4wt with some backbone that can punch out casts pretty far.
In the night I dreamed of trout-fishing - The Maine Woods - Henry David Thoreau

St Vrain Angler
Master Guide

Post by St Vrain Angler »

If you like parabolics, Joe Balestrieri's (Redwing Fly Rods) 7' 4wt "Type Speedcast" would be perfect for that situation.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Driggs would be a great choice. Young Princess, line a Pickard 7’ 4 wt, would be good too.

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Post by DireWolf53 »

You might consider an Orvis Rocky Mtn.
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

There is not much about casting in high wind which would be considered "delicate" ;) I would recommend a sweetgrass 7'3" penta 4wt if you are set on a lighter line weight, because you want a fast rod with a light line in the wind. If yer not set on a 4wt, find a 6'6" or 7' 5wt or 6wt, it will greatly increase your chances of hitting the creek rather than willows. The rocky mountain which D-Wolf suggested is a 6'6" 5wt if I recall correctly. I have a leonard 39 6' rod which is a tip action 5wt and a great rod for lil cricks in big winds.
Cheers,
Michael
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

I am not a believer in the notion that smaller waters require shorter rods. In the situation you describe I use a 8' Schroeder quad. It is a stud.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

I don't really fish anything smaller than a 4wt these days because I feel that I can make a heavy rod light, but I can't do the opposite. That said, I want to give a +1 for the Sweetgrass 7'3" 4wt penta. Only rod I own two of. It's beautiful in close, but it can hammer out a 50 foot cast if needed. It will also handle a weighted fly if needed.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

taylor16,

Can you refine your request a little? When you say delicate, are you looking for something shorter, bendier, or to carry a lighter line like a 4wt? Or maybe you mean something else? Line weight and bendiness are often conflated, which can be a mistake in many cases. A nice soft, full flexing 5wt or even a 6wt might actually be the ticket in your case.

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

I prefer a Garrison taper for such... specifically a 7' Garrison 201 to punch a light line in touch places/conditions... Art Weiler from PA makes some fine Garrison clones at reasonable prices... good luck whatever you choose...

Ed

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

In MHO there are two ways of tackling (excuse the pun) this issue. One is to go fast action. I fish in NZ a lot where wind is a fact of life. I use a fast, strong graphite rod to cut into the wind. The other is the catapult approach. This involves a rod with lots of flex (pretty much into the grip) which loads right up and flings the line into the wind. I have a 7' 5" 4/5 bamboo rod which does this quite nicely. Whilst I have not, in the past, been a fan of slow actions, I have really warmed to this rod and enjoy using it. It also gives plenty of time to incorporate hauls, especially on the forward cast so as to give a bit more emphasis to the fling.

chsparkman
Master Guide

Post by chsparkman »

We were in southern Colorado last week. The wind was horrendous and though we were on a small stream, we broke out our 6-weights (Dickerson 8014) and they did the trick nicely.
...as for us we pin our faith and fealty to the silk-wound PENTAGONAL rod cunningly yet simply devised of its FIVE subtle, individual triangular strips of cane throughout...

Holden, George Parker. (modified by me) Idyl of the Split Bamboo

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

creakycane wrote:
07/13/20 14:46
Driggs would be a great choice. Young Princess, like a Pickard 7’ 4 wt, would be good too.

mac7x
Master Guide

Post by mac7x »

My recommendation concerns lines, not rods. The smaller the diameter, for a given weight, the less it will be affected by the wind. Therefore, silk, if you don't mind the expense, and the bit of extra work. If those are a problem, the Cortland Sylk and the 406 lines are supposedly small diameter, though I have no experience with either. And all are available in double taper.

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

I’d use a Sir D
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

I am in western MT on a 2 week trip and am just about to go to just such a stream with just such wind as you describe. After yesterday I am taking a rod that Joe Balestrieri (Redwing Fly Rods) made for me recently. It is a 7' 9" " 2 pc. "Long Taper Parabolic" and I have not decided for sure if it's a 4 or 5 wt. for me. Today because the water is small and I'm expecting wind, I will use a 406 DT5F.

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

The most effective method to compensate for wind in a cast is fly line velocity, therefor the higher speed you can generate the less the effect of the wind over time. Yes a thinner line will have less drag effect but probably not enough to compensate for strong winds at a given speed. The speed generated by the cast will determine the effect of the wind over time (in a cast its a very short time). So a slow cast will be affected more than a higher speed cast. In general you need a rod that can generate a higher speed or a "faster" rod as they have been recommending.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Loogie wrote:
07/14/20 09:20
The most effective method to compensate for wind in a cast is fly line velocity, therefor the higher speed you can generate the less the effect of the wind over time. Yes a thinner line will have less drag effect but probably not enough to compensate for strong winds at a given speed. The speed generated by the cast will determine the effect of the wind over time (in a cast its a very short time). So a slow cast will be affected more than a higher speed cast. In general you need a rod that can generate a higher speed or a "faster" rod as they have been recommending.
+11 it is all about line speed when casting into the wind. BUT in the West small streams tend to be narrow, this may be different on the east coast ::) :lol One thing that will make your life way easier in the this type of creek is keeping the line down out of the wind. I like 6-7' rods for this reason, a side arm cast will often make all the difference by keeping the line below the willows and/or stream bank. If you are casting into the wind, speed is your friend, but if you are trying to hit an 8' wide creek in a strong side wind, good luck with an 8' rod and overhead casting. I learned this the hard way, given my propensity to fish creeks 5-10ft wide. Casting overhead will often result in the line blowing into the stream side herbage (nods to Ollie) while side arm casting with the tip low and with a short rod the line will often end up splashing down in the creek due to turbulence. I don't know about you guys but I usually catch more fish with my line IN the creek. My strategy for strong side winds : stand with your back against the downwind bank, pay line out down stream and let the fly swing, make a low side arm cast using water tension to load the rod and steering the cast into the wind along the upwind bank. Not going to break any distance casting records this way but you get two chances, one on the swing and one on the cast; both have a better chance than a fly hanging in the bushes.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

Fish downstream, roll cast, keep your fly in the water, doesn't matter what rod you use.

:)

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”