Perfect timing! This is one heck of a staff.

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

gjbu

Re: Perfect timing! This is one heck of a staff.

Post by gjbu »

It is heavy duty for sure. I see it lasting a lifetime.

mule

Post by mule »

Worked great for me in the rocks and with my fake knees.

tiptop
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by tiptop »

I've used one of these for two seasons now and like it a lot. Besides being a bit on the heavy side, the one drawback I've found is that rubber tip that's provided will wear through pretty quickly if given a hard workout in rocks. I ordered 3/4" replacement cane tips off of ebay that last much longer. They are wider at the bottom and the rubber is thicker and maybe tougher. These:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carex-Cane-Tip ... 2749.l2649

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

After seeing Mark's original post, I pulled the trigger on one and used it on the Grey's River last week. What a difference a staff makes! This was the first time that I used one. Although it feels heavy in the hand, I never noticed it while on the water for 6 - 7 hours per day. I highly recommend this staff.

redband02
Guide

Post by redband02 »

Got mine Friday. Used it Saturday. Great staff

Bud
Master Guide

Post by Bud »

After a week on the Deschutes and a week wading on the volcanic rock in Yellowstone the rubber tip of my staff finally gave out. Lasted me about two years. Took 5 minutes and a nickel to fix and good to go. A great staff for us old guys wading where we probably shouldn’t.

redband02
Guide

Post by redband02 »

Does anybody have a good idea for a retractor? the one I bought is not strong enough to hold the staff up, it comes all the way out due to the weight of the staff and the handle lays in the water.
Thanks

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

NO ONE should go fly fishing without using a wading staff, no matter what your age is! That third leg may keep you from cracking your head open. Been there, done that! Or keep you from breaking a fly rod! Been there, and done that too! They are also good for beating off the farm dogs and cattle when fishing private farm streams. Been there, and done a lot of that! A nice strong lanyard is a bonus too!

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

redband02 wrote:
10/11/20 09:31
Does anybody have a good idea for a retractor? the one I bought is not strong enough to hold the staff up, it comes all the way out due to the weight of the staff and the handle lays in the water.
Thanks
After seeing that the recommended retractors were 25% the investment in the staff, I decided to forgo the retractor. The staff for which this post was started stays in the holder quite well. I think the risk of loss is very minimal.

Salar4me
Guide

Post by Salar4me »

I have been using a telescoping trekking pole which collapsed recently. Ordered the Riverstick a few weeks back and tested it out the past two days - heavy duty - well engineered! Not the best of pics...

herkileez
Sport

Post by herkileez »

Salar4me wrote:
10/22/20 16:16
I have been using a telescoping trekking pole which collapsed recently. Ordered the Riverstick a few weeks back and tested it out the past two days - heavy duty - well engineered! Not the best of pics...
Great autumn pic to me !!...Thanks for the kind comments.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”