One year bamboo anniversary!

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

archer829
Guide

One year bamboo anniversary!

Post by archer829 »

This Friday it will be one year since I joined this site.

At that time, I didn't own any bamboo fly rods, but I had fished graphite fly rods for more than two decades, and because of my love of fly fishing, I decided it was time to turn over a new leaf and try something different. So I came here at the end of July 2019 to research.

Eventually, I bought a rod, and then another, and another, and some old reels, and so on. Last year some of the members here warned me this would happen. The funny thing about classic rods and reels is that you can't just go into a store--at least around me--and try them out. So if you want to compare a couple of Medalists, let's say a round line guard 1494 and a later rectangular line guard 1494, you pretty much have to buy one of each. And if you want to see whether a 1494 or a 1495 is better for balancing a particular rod best, you'll need one of each. How much smoother is a Heddon 125 compared to a Pflueger Medalist? Gonna have to buy one of each and fish them both. Is silk REALLY that much better than plastic, or a 406 line better than a cheaper Hook and Hackle line? Guess what, you're gonna have to buy a bunch to find out. How much different is the build quality on a 1930's South Bend rod compared to a post-war rod? Is the Granger 7633 really as awesome as some have claimed? Well, to find out for sure, you really just need to buy one and compare it to others.

Part of the fun is that some of this stuff only shows up once in a blue moon, especially if you're picky about condition, so it can take quite a while to track down an almost perfect 1492 with a round line guard. Or a mid to high grade Granger 7633 in great condition. Or a never before used South Bend 290. But they are out there if you are persistent. And the amazing thing about this stuff is that as long as you're patient and don't overpay for rods and reels, you can usually get your money back out of the equipment when something doesn't agree with your style.

So that is what I've been doing for most of the last year--basically having a one man Bamboo Bash in my backyard, testing endless combinations of Hardy and Medalist and Heddon reels with silk and modern lines, primarily on South Bend and Granger rods.

I am far from done, but here are some conclusions so far:

1. Silk is awesome! But I'm not sure it's worth the extra trouble, and that sawing noise it makes going back and forth through the guides of my 70-80 year old bamboo rods makes me nervous. So I think I'll save it for special occasions and fish 406 lines most of the time.

2. Earlier South Bend rods are better made than later ones.

3. All rods with the same model number are definitely not created equal. For example, I currently own 3 different Granger 8642's, and there are subtle differences between them. Only one falls into what I call the magic wand category: A well-used, mojo-covered W&M GV8642 that I could fish all day. I've got two identical South Bend 8-1/2 foot 346's, both of the HEH variety, and they have quite different casting characteristics.

4. For blue collar reels, round line guard Medalists with adjustable drags seem to be the pinnacle. Especially 1494's from the time just before the switch to square line guards and plastic spool covers. I've bought a pile of really nice Medalists dating from the early 30's to early 50's, and there's something about the 1939-40 ones that speaks to me.

5. Any bamboo rod longer than 8-1/2 feet is just too heavy for me. Some that I have tried worked really really well, but there's just a lot of weight there, and--blasphemy alert--I guess I'd rather just stick with graphite above that length.

At this point, if I had to pick one rod from all that I've tried so far, it would without a doubt be my W&M Granger Victory 8040. Paired with a round line guard 1494 and 406 DT-5 line, it is like a magic wand in my hands. Honorable mention goes to the mojo-covered 8642 mentioned above.

But there's been at least a little bit of magic in each and every one of the bamboo rods I've tried. And that's why I will keep on buying them and trying them and experimenting with new combinations for the foreseeable future. So thank you to all who have contributed here over the years for helping me learn and providing me with so much enjoyment over the past year!

And stay healthy!

Jeff
Last edited by archer829 on 03/31/22 12:23, edited 3 times in total.

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: One year bamboo anniversary!

Post by canerodscom »

Good for you Jeff. Sounds like you’re having fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I'm only a few years ahead of you and our experiences are quite similar...but, I was infected with the Orvis and Hardy virus and now own just two Medalist. Favoring LHW is another curse that I hope not to pass onto my grandchildren (except perhaps in reels). The Medalist is a great reel and the 8040 a great taper. Short rods are another curse as the longer vintage rods are often much more affordable. Oh, and silk doesn't present an issue in the very dry climate of UT.

Tight lines to all,
Joe

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

That Granger Victory 8040 is a sweet rod. Its funny how folks try all kinds but eventually folks gravitate to these fine known tapers. Sure there are many that are very nice but the 8040 is that Ford Shelby designed to win the 24 hour Lemans race with...

Ahh and the LHW is not a curse its a blessing I say!!!

Salar4me
Guide

Post by Salar4me »

Hmmmm...does anyone else have rods that seem to be mating and multiplying on their own? At least that’s what I explain to the better half - have to find another wall for an additional rack

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

I feel for you with the buying aspect. I believe I'm on year 4 or 5 in my bamboo journey, and really until this summer I never got to handle anything in person unless I bought it. My rod and reel collection is like a breathing leviathan, its chest rises and falls as it slumbers in the corner, more rods come more rods go. I'm in the process of selling 4 of them because I made a mistake and casted a Brandin rod. Don't do that, it will undo just about everything you learned or thought you knew about bamboo.

Also, as a side note.... I'll never buy a rod I havent cast ever again, unless it's not going to be fished for some reason. I have had some rods touted as among the best that were real turds, and I've cast rods by unknown makers that were absolute gems.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Congratulations. Now you need a Brandin.

archer829
Guide

Post by archer829 »

PYochim, don't think that idea hasn't crossed my mind a time or six!

Problem is, using the not-too-expensive (relatively speaking) bamboo rods I have already kind of stresses me out. In fact, I just went on a backpacking trip and grabbed the graphite rods for the first time in a year. And wow, was it nice not to have to worry about having them melt in the truck, or think about them getting scratched when I tossed them to the ground to take a fish out of the net!

So I can't imagine how much my blood pressure would rise every time I took the Brandin out for a spin......

Jeff

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

I fish my rods without worrying too much. The only good boo rod I ever broke (not counting the Montagues that I "torture tested" out of curiosity) was my L. W. Samson rod and it wasn't during fishing. It was in a 4 wheeler accident. Absolutely horrible breaks and an incredibly rare rod. A magic wand for sure. Anyway, moral of the story is buy a Brandin if you want one and fish it hard. That's what they're meant for.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

I truly believe everything should be fished. Everything. If I had a Garrison I would fish it. Can't take them to the grave with us.

archer829
Guide

Post by archer829 »

In theory, I believe that, too, DaveNJ and Samsonboi. But it doesn't always work out that way in reality. My most expensive rod right now is a great Aristocrat 7633. Casts amazingly well in the yard. Every time I'm off to chase the local brookies, though, I just can't get myself to take it out of the display case and throw it in the truck. And so you can imagine what that would mean for any Brandin that came into my possession. Closet queen! And who wants to own a closet queen, right?

Jeff

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

Bamboo, is tough, I’ve had my rods on a rod rack over my suv assembled for a week of fishing, rain be darned, weather, snow, heat, etc, at the end of the trip I just wiped it down dried it and stored it. I fish them hard, and at the end of the day I have great memories of the rod I used. What’s the use of having a beautiful rod designed to cast if you don’t use it? I broke a tip last year on the Gardiner it was a defect on the ferrule. Now I have a short tip by an inch on one of the tips and I smile when I remember the EHC hatch that pm. I broke a 10wt graphite on a False Albacore 4 years ago. I sure as heck remember that that albie! I hunt my 28g Beretta that cost way more than my first three cars, and if it could speak, it would tell me of all the special times we spent together in the woods with my pups. If that Brandin sits in the closet all it’s life, it’s an expensive piece of wood, with no provenance, an expensive paperweight.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Amen. Gonna fish it in the dark.

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Well done Jeff, you have got yourself a couple of highly regarded rods which, most importantly, you really like. That is a commendable achievement for a first year as a cane head.

Ibexfly

Post by Ibexfly »

Jeff
How would you compare the Granger 7633 to the 8040? I have and 8040, and its great, just never cast a 7633
Thanks

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”