Orvis Battenkill

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

fireman10
Sport

Orvis Battenkill

Post by fireman10 »

So I got this rod on a trade and I’m curious. There is no other markings on the rod other than “ Orvis Impregnated” Battenkill. I was told it was a 8 1/2 for 6wt. Rod is in as new condition and casts beautiful loops with a 5wt line. Just curious if it’s a counterfeit. No tube or sock. ImageImage

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Orvis Battenkill

Post by Flyman615 »

Looks absolutely legit to me. Those of us who collect Orvis rods will tell you that you simply can't assume all Orvis bamboo fly rods will be marked the same, for example.

If I were you, I would relax and fish it!

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

fireman10
Sport

Post by fireman10 »

I really appreciate the intel. I am going to fish the ---- out of this rod over the next 2 weeks. Its going on a journey along with a few others to northern Montana.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Looks legit to me as well. The scripting is different from my Orvis, but they are from the sixties to mid seventies. I suspect that your rod is a more recent build. Perhaps from the 80's or even later.

oldphart
Sport

Post by oldphart »

The Quote marks were found on early (50-60's) rods and disappeared later. I have an early deluxe with the same style of roundish marks.
Greg Reynolds can probably confirm this
Hank

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

It's not counterfeit, but it may have been back to Orvis for a refresh. Not that it matters. Please post the serial number and I'll check it against my photos of rods built in the same period.

In early 1966, Orvis phased-in the inscription style that included the rod specifications. Later that year, they started using stainless guides and stopped bluing the winding check.

I assume it's the 2-piece, 14/64-ferrule, 4 3/4-oz, slow action "Joe Brooks" model, which was introduced in the 1965 catalog.

Regards,
Greg

fireman10
Sport

Post by fireman10 »

I’m not finding any numbers on rod at all. Just the writing I posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

I've been thinking about this rod, and spent time this morning going through photos of Orvis rods made from the mid-1960s to the mid-1970s.

Aside from the inscription, which again is in the basic format Orvis used until early 1966, it has characteristics of rod from about 1971-1974. I think that basis the shape of the cigar grip (less tapered), the tone of the bamboo and the general finishing. The hand writing isn't typical of rods of that period, but I did find an example that is close-enough to make me think that the same person wrote the inscription on this rod.

The near-near condition of the rod with the lack of a serial number (and tube & bag) is confusing though. My best guess is that it's a factory rod refinished at Orvis before Ron White retired . If it was made from a kit, it was finished as well (or better) as the work done in Manchester at the time. In any case, it's a very nice rod and I hope you enjoy it.

fireman10
Sport

Post by fireman10 »

very cool info. I was curious, but am super happy with this rod. I am having a truly great time fishing with this rod, especially with dries. Gives very nice tight loops and is as accurate as I can hope for. Would like to locate an Orvis tube for it at some point. I'll keep my eyes peeled on the sites.

Thanks for your help,

Kevin

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Contact Orvis, they may be of some assistance.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”