Orvis Nymph Fly Rod

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

orangescud
Sport

Orvis Nymph Fly Rod

Post by orangescud »

I thinking of acquiring an Orvis 8 foot Nymph fly rod. Can tell me what you love or maybe do not love about owning and fishing one?Thank You for your help in this matter.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Orvis Nymph Fly Rod

Post by Greg Reynolds »

I've never even seen one, but it has a very slow action and isn't for everyone.

Boo
Master Guide

Post by Boo »

I’ve owned a couple Orvis Nymph rods. They are very slow/full flexing and “whippy.” A nice rod for swinging wets/soft hackles on smaller streams.

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Booman2 »

I think there is searchable history on this site. I owned one and really liked it, great change of pace and a really smooth slow action rod for casting under 40 feet. I fished the Hat Creek PMD hatches with one for a while and enjoyed it. Not for your only rod, but excellent for a change of pace, IMO.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

A copy & paste from my notes:

The 8-foot, 3 3/4-oz, 11/64-ferrule "Nymph" has a delicate slow-action with the Orvis-recommended WF4 line. It was intended for use in the summertime with tiny flies with sufficient length to allow line-mending in difficult currents. It’s not a rod for long casts or fishing in high wind.

The rod was introduced in the 1969 catalog and made through 1975. It was only available as a high-grade rod (equivalent to the “Battenkill”) with one or two tips.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”