Indicator nymphing with a bamboo trout spay.

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

joep
Master Guide

Indicator nymphing with a bamboo trout spay.

Post by joep »

Curious if anyone indicator nymphs with a bamboo trout sorry. I have a James Reid rod on deck and was thinking about a two hander for nymphing big water. That seems to be something not done well with bamboo. This seems like it may be an effective fun way to fill the void.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Re: Indicator nymphing with a bamboo trout spay.

Post by DaveNJ »

I have, but it's kind of dumb. Guess it depends on what kind of indicator you use. If you use a sighter and tight line it that would be better than a bobber, which ruins the cast. If you are going to use a bobber open your loops up, straight up tomahawk your casts.

Edit: I misread the spay part of it, not sure how it would affect the cast as I don't cast spay rods.
Last edited by DaveNJ on 08/06/20 12:16, edited 1 time in total.

Bud
Master Guide

Post by Bud »

Why?

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

Bud wrote:
08/06/20 11:57
Why?
Not sure, have seen it written about and curious if there was some advantage.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

Not a good use for a James Reid rod.
Get a Center Pin rod for that type of steelhead fishing.
Besides, it’s kind of like playing video games on your phone, while in church. ;-)

novisor12
Guide

Post by novisor12 »

LOL. I agree with Brooks!

cappy
Guide

Post by cappy »

Why not use a 7 weight streamer rod, designed to cast weight. Not sure why you feel the need for a spey rod to indicator fish.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Really depends on the nymphs you're going to use. If you're fishing a 3 or 4 foot deep riffle with a modest push you can use an 8' 5wt and size 14 tungsten patterns. If you're going to use a giant stone then maybe use a heavier rod.

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

Just a thought. I have been trying to figure out what I want. I am probably going to lean towards 9' 7wt with a fixed butt. That should handle lake run fishing in the east pretty well.

Salar4me
Guide

Post by Salar4me »

Fish indicators steelheading with not essentially bamboo Spey rods but longer Battenkills /Orvis Salmon (8 1/2 - 9 1/2). Also with a 10’ Heddon trade rod (L&C). All with extension/fighting butts. It is quite a workout. Mostly NY’s Salmon River. It is effective but a method used where/when conditions warrant. Much rather swing streamers early in the season and I the spring

galt
Master Guide

Post by galt »

By big waters, I assume you mean fishing with a long line. With a lot of line out over many currents, would not managing drag become an issue as nymphs are generally not animated?

Galt
Know the reasons for your actions

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

galt wrote:
08/07/20 15:59
By big waters, I assume you mean fishing with a long line. With a lot of line out over many currents, would not managing drag become an issue as nymphs are generally not animated?

Galt
If you're going to seriously nymph I'd be more concerned with depth rather than distance. Especially in heavy flows you need your rig to get down ASAP. A good drift in the zone a few feet in front of you is more valuable than covering more water. That said, drag shouldn't really come into play, although I would recommend keeping your fly line upstream of your indicator. Also, with this style I would recommend feeding line downstream rather than gridding the water out in front of you or upstream.

Also, nymphs can be VERY animated. Some people tie them on open loop knots (I forget the name of them) to encourage wiggle. Some people even strip certain species (Isos).

old and retired
Sport

Post by old and retired »

The question is can you? Sure. Is it the best tool for the job. Nope. I use a 11' 7" 3wt graphite for trout. Just simple open loop cast to put an indicator along the far bank with enough rod to hold the line off the current and keep everything along the bank. Wouldn't want to hold bamboo up like that Very effective. very small indicator and small flies. Takes practice. I use it more for soft hackles and caddis emergers, cover 70 or 80 feet of water with no effort..

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

old and retired wrote:
08/09/20 13:50
The question is can you? Sure. Is it the best tool for the job. Nope. I use a 11' 7" 3wt graphite for trout. Just simple open loop cast to put an indicator along the far bank with enough rod to hold the line off the current and keep everything along the bank. Wouldn't want to hold bamboo up like that Very effective. very small indicator and small flies. Takes practice. I use it more for soft hackles and caddis emergers, cover 70 or 80 feet of water with no effort..
What prompted this question was the fact my father is moving right near the Clinch tailwater in TN. It is big water and was thinking about covering it with bamboo. Most likely will pick up a 10' Winston rod to nymph with.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”