So it's Rocks Ya Want, eh?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Here's where my wife and I were fishing yesterday.....:)

Last edited by Hellmtflies on 08/06/20 19:35, edited 2 times in total.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Re: So it's Rocks Ya Want, eh!

Post by DaveNJ »

That last picture looks fun. I would love to pull a streamer through it and see a fish cross the pool for it.

How did you do?

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if one of these photos had a grizz standing in the water swatting at a big cutthroat. Looks like dangerous wading to me!

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

DaveNJ wrote:
08/06/20 19:02
That last picture looks fun. I would love to pull a streamer through it and see a fish cross the pool for it.

How did you do?
Well....Not as well as one would think. We found only Rainbows to 12"s and Brookies to only 8"s. I'll have to go back when the water recedes.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:
08/06/20 19:07
It wouldn't surprise me one bit if one of these photos had a grizz standing in the water swatting at a big cutthroat. Looks like dangerous wading to me!
Oh! This is in the heart of Big Bear Country for sure. Check out the sign....:)

pgwulf
Guide

Post by pgwulf »

Hellmtflies wrote:
08/06/20 20:08
NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:

There's still a sign on all the doors of the SUB (Student Union Building) at MSU that includes "...No Grizzlies Allowed..."
"Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend...inside a dog, it's too dark to read!" Groucho Marx

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: So it's Rocks Ya Want, eh?

Post by PT48 »

If I was in that spectacular country, I would probably want to stand on the highest rock and, Tarzan-like, thump my chest and let out a blood-curdling howl. There again, that might only serve to attract every grizz in the vicinity.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

pgwulf wrote:
08/06/20 20:19
Hellmtflies wrote:
08/06/20 20:08
NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:

There's still a sign on all the doors of the SUB (Student Union Building) at MSU that includes "...No Grizzlies Allowed..."
Well, MSU is right down the street from my home. This isn't anywhere near that. :)

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

PT48 wrote:If I was in that spectacular country, I would probably want to stand on the highest rock and, Tarzan-like, thump my chest and let out a blood-curdling howl. There again, that might only serve to attract every grizz in the vicinity.
Peter, let me know before you do the manly act so I can run! :D

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

On second thoughts Jay, I think I will leave it to those intrepid and indestructible outdoor types who model themselves on the likes of Natty Bumppo and Jim Bridger.

Ear4
Master Guide

Post by Ear4 »

Man, I have got to stop reading your posts Mark. I am getting a serious case of MT envy here in the North East.

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

My primary religion being "devout coward" I would see that sign you posted and turn around. Grizzlies and alligators keep me from a lot of water I'd love to fish, and sharks turn me off from saltwater too. Black bears I can live with though.

Anyway, knowing your wife's propensity for dry flies that just (doesn't) look like the type of waters she'd have much luck in (or on).

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

bassman wrote:
08/07/20 14:59
My primary religion being "devout coward" I would see that sign you posted and turn around. Grizzlies and alligators keep me from a lot of water I'd love to fish, and sharks turn me off from saltwater too. Black bears I can live with though.

Anyway, knowing your wife's propensity for dry flies that just (doesn't) look like the type of waters she'd have much luck in (or on).
Actually she did quite well just fishing whatever open pools and eddies she could find along the bank. She said she stuck about two dozen smallish Rainbows and a couple of Brookies.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

bassman wrote:
08/07/20 14:59
LOL, loved this.

I can never enjoy skinny dipping in the ocean because I'm confident that if a shark was going to bite me then it would go for my worm.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Yea, life gets weird when you are no longer the top of the food chain. :)

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

I'd like to think that if I was getting mauled I'd bite back at some point.

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

There was a time when that was my favorite kind of water. There are much fewer people and the fish haven't been hammered like nearly everywhere else. Sadly, those days are largely over. I still try 'em a couple of times in a season just to prove I can but the next morning reminds me that my back and knees think I'm overly optimistic. :) Still, it looks like fun. Thanks for taking us with you. :)

Pat

Dwight
Guide

Post by Dwight »

Hellmtflies, Thanks for the beautiful pictures! Did you spot any backcountry campsites in that canyon? (:

Dwight

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Dwight wrote:
08/08/20 16:17
Hellmtflies, Thanks for the beautiful pictures! Did you spot any backcountry campsites in that canyon? (:

Dwight
No. But that said I wasn't looking for them as I don't camp. I've done that but it's not for me. I like a shower and a bed after a day like this. :)

Dwight
Guide

Post by Dwight »

I was thinking last light might be something to behold on those pools as some larger fish start to move about. But I'm sure that's not all that starts to move about in that neck of the woods, lol.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”