small/mid sized stream recommendations...

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: small/mid sized stream recommendations...

Post by Flykuni3 »

One more because it's Friday. The first great small stream stick I ever owned: 6 1/2' 3/2 DT3 Mike Cark, 1996. This rod has traveled a lot, including Scotland and England. It has caught a lot of fish over the years.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Darrell, great looking fish. OP, don't overlook an Orvis 6 1/2' - 7 1/2' Deluxe/Battenkill/Superfine as another nice small stream rod, although not on your short list. I just picked up a 6 1/2' Superfine Fly & Spin version and although sold as a 6 WT, I just lawn cast it with a DT4 and WF5 and liked it a great deal. I'll be breaking it in tomorrow on some of our local cutthroat, browns, or brookies depending upon where we end up going.

japhy0508
Sport

Post by japhy0508 »

Ah man.....so many lovely choices....this is gonna be a hard one to decide on!?

wb4tjh
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wb4tjh »

headwaters wrote:
09/17/20 17:13
I think a 7012 might nicely fit your parameters. However, based on your earlier success, I would suggest you talk to Dennis Stone, and let him know what you're looking for.
...........Ditto on the Dennis Stone 7012 Dickerson...I have one and it is an excellent casting 7 foot rod for small streams. I fish mine a lot at Roaring River State Trout Park here in SW Missouri. The stream varies from 40 feet or so to about 60 feet wide. I own three of Dennis' rods and they are beautiful fishing tools.

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

Gillum 7' 3/2 out if the lovely reed. I did not like it but that is the perfect rod for what you want to do. It is a 4/5 but really a fast 5.

owenscaddis
Master Guide

Post by owenscaddis »

I do not mean to further add confusion to your decision, but I would suggest that of the waters you mention, you may want to go two different directions. For Hot Creek, Upper Owens, Kern and even the San Joaquin I really like a longer rod to help with mending and punch a cast across the river (especially for Hot Creek where wading is frowned on). I have used a Jim Reams 4/5 weight 8'3" rod which I found to be close to perfect for these streams. I recently acquired a Chris Vance 8'6" which would also work well. For the gorge and smaller streams I would suggest the shorter rods already discussed. I have the Reams rod plus a few others in Carlsbad if you ever want to connect.

japhy0508
Sport

Post by japhy0508 »

Good points owenscaddis. I don't anticipate using this for something like the upper owens and I hear you with hot creek....that might be a stretch based on the reasoning you provide. The gorge and san joaquin is more where I see it being used to best effect as well as a second rod for smaller streams when I head into the back country. I have a slightly extended 8013 for bigger water and bigger fish, so if I could get away with two rods, that would be great.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”