Cleats...?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Barleywine
Sport

Re: Cleats...?

Post by Barleywine »

It sounds like the softer aluminum is what I need for the type of hard rock that I mostly encounter. Does anyone have a source for aluminum sheet-metal screws with hex heads? I've searched around, but the only aluminum screws that I could find have round heads. I'd be putting the screws into Simms G3 boots.

–Chuck

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Hard to find. Zinc plated washer hex heads work fine in felt. Lowes, Home Depot, ace.

Barleywine
Sport

Post by Barleywine »

creakycane wrote:
09/23/20 12:32
Hard to find. Zinc plated washer hex heads work fine in felt. Lowes, Home Depot, ace.
Thank you creakycane. Much appreciated.

–Chuck

Jacque Le Fluer

Post by Jacque Le Fluer »

I must be behind or nowhere in the ball park. I thought felt was out because of carrying invasive species to other river/creeks. I haven’t fished in a while but my boots are plain. I need to get caught up.

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

Yes, felt should be out, most folks understand the problems with it, some folks like to use it for obvious reasons and they isolate the felt to the body of water they use exclusively so as to not transmit any bad stuff that goes along with all that. But felt is not welcome at many places in this country. With the development of modern rubber soles and different choices in cleats, felt should probably be a thing of the past in the near future. The economy of scale will take care of that due to lack of demand etc, or they will just be too expensive to produce.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

Loogie wrote:
09/24/20 11:03
Yes, felt should be out, most folks understand the problems with it, some folks like to use it for obvious reasons and they isolate the felt to the body of water they use exclusively so as to not transmit any bad stuff that goes along with all that. But felt is not welcome at many places in this country. With the development of modern rubber soles and different choices in cleats, felt should probably be a thing of the past in the near future. The economy of scale will take care of that due to lack of demand etc, or they will just be too expensive to produce.
Felt can be treated, and washed, and or frozen works too. The entire boot is the problem. People think that it's OK to have rubber soles and then fish away with a good conscience. It's not. The entire boot causes the spread of invasive species. Your entire boot needs to be aggressively cleaned between different watersheds. The spotlight on felt was a good way to bring attention to the problem, but it's not felt, it's the whole boot.

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

Brooks wrote:
09/24/20 11:23
Felt can be treated, and washed, and or frozen works too. The entire boot is the problem. People think that it's OK to have rubber soles and then fish away with a good conscience. It's not. The entire boot causes the spread of invasive species. Your entire boot needs to be aggressively cleaned between different watersheds. The spotlight on felt was a good way to bring attention to the problem, but it's not felt, it's the whole boot.
I'm glad someone pointed this out. Thanks buddy.
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

trland
Master Guide

Post by trland »

I think someone mentioned it above but the screws used for motorcycle and mountain bike racing on ice are only about ten cents apiece and work great. I bought a bag of the 3/8" a few years ago. https://koldkutter.com/products

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

I have been using these for about a year. They are easy to get on and off and work as well as any cleats I have tried.

Jacque Le Fluer

Post by Jacque Le Fluer »

I have had to weAr those cleats before....... on ice......everyday, on and off several times a day. And they are good. Would have never thought to use them in the river. They will break over a period of time. But they should last a long time for water.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

What are those called and where are they sold?

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Yaktrax ICEtrekkers Diamond Grip Traction System. I got mine at REI. I think they're around $40 a set. It takes about 10 seconds to put them on.Not perfect, but a lot easier than screwing studs into your boots. Just remember to take them off when you get in your car or walk into a building.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Great thx

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

I've had a pair of Simms Flyweight Vibram soled boots for three months. I bought them for fishing YNP I also bought the $70 cleat/stud kit. Two of the cleats have already fallen out after only using them 5-6 times. Does Simms really believe that these screws will hold in rubber?

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

I can't speak for rubber soles, but with felt, I mark and drill pilots holes and epoxy the studs into the felt. I have not had one fall out, knock wood, and some are worn to a nub

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

Barleywine wrote:
09/23/20 11:20
It sounds like the softer aluminum is what I need for the type of hard rock that I mostly encounter. Does anyone have a source for aluminum sheet-metal screws with hex heads? I've searched around, but the only aluminum screws that I could find have round heads. I'd be putting the screws into Simms G3 boots.

–Chuck
Tons of them on eBay. Search "aluminum sheet metal screws hex"
Last edited by Webfly on 10/11/20 15:24, edited 1 time in total.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

You''ll see the aluminum sheet metal screws often don't have the slotted hex heads (which is what you want) and are 3x-4x as much as zinc plated steel; ie, 12.00 for 30. The steel are boxed by the hundreds for 7$/box and you can find them in all hardware stores. Most hardware stores, except large, exceptionally stocked shops, don't carry aluminum sheet metal screws with proper heads for turning into a wading boot stud. They are Al c0ntenders on ebay, but they are expensive.

perfesser
Guide

Post by perfesser »

Last edited by perfesser on 01/25/21 19:08, edited 1 time in total.

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

If you're a Do it Yourselfer, and cost is an issue, do what used to do. Drill holes in the soles and put Pop Rivets in the holes! Holes won't hurt them as they are going to be underwater anyway!

And if your really smart, your already carrying a wading staff. That 3rd leg has saved me from many a fall!

wb4tjh
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wb4tjh »

Felt is outlawed here in MIssouri....I have Simms boots with Vibram soles and I added both carbide and aluminum studs to my boots. They do NOT slip on rock, mud, or ice. It is a bit expensive using both types of studs, but at 74 I am not as steady on my feet as I used to be.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”