"Sealing" a synthetic ("plastic") floating fly line

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

PAGH
Guide

"Sealing" a synthetic ("plastic") floating fly line

Post by PAGH »

Hi All,

My apologies if this is inappropriate to post here, but this subforum was the closest as far as I could tell.

I have heard about "sealing" a synthetic floating fly line with the intention of helping to keep the tip from sinking as fast as it would if it were not so sealed.

What kind of "sealant" is appropriate for sealing a synthetic floating fly line? (and if it is something obscure, where can I obtain it?)

Should the end of the fly line to be sealed be washed with a detergent such as Dawn dish washing liquid, rinsed and be allowed to dry thoroughly prior to sealing and then fly line dressing/floatant reapplied to the end of the line after the sealant has thoroughly dried?

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge and experience. I really enjoy the forum and the insight I've gained from the membership.

Kind Regards,

PAGH

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: "Sealing" a synthetic ("plastic") floating fly line

Post by PT48 »

I take it that you are talking about a tip without a loop on it. I have used Aquaseal for sealing the exposed end and I have also used it on any little cuts in a line which is otherwise in good condition. I got the idea from Ted Leeson's Guide to Tackle Care and Repair.

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

I've never felt the need to seal the end because I use a needle knot to attach a permanent butt section and seal it with pliobond. I've used PVC cement to fill a nick in the coating of a PVC line and I'm sure it would do the job on the tip too. Aquaseal should seal the end of a line too, though it dries a bit hard.

PAGH
Guide

Post by PAGH »

PT48 and 16pmd,

Thank you both very much for the help!

PAGH

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Another option is a dab of Knot seal from Loon. Is a flexible adhesive

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Water is going to get in even if you seal it. I use a drop of super glue but it only does so much. Tips of plastic fly line are notorious for sinking. Suggest daily treatment with Otter Butter as the best way to keep the tips floating.

tabrods406
Guide

Post by tabrods406 »

PAGH,

Please don't use Dawn or any other dish detergent on your line. They have the possibility to actually strip away some of a modern line's coatings. As to the tip sinking the most common cause of that is a dirty line. A line cleaner made specifically for the purpose will usually help the tip to float again.

Tom

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

I use a designated line cleaner (Rio) and on the nail knot to a ten inch butt section of 30 pound mono I then attach the leader to this butt section with a blood knot. I treat both with a drop of Loon UV Clear Fly Finish and buzz it with a UV light. It works for me.

dublhaul
Sport

Post by dublhaul »

Years ago I interviewed some fly line makers/designers for an article in the long-defunct Fly Tackle Dealer magazine. Bruce Richards, now retired, but then the head guru at Scientific Anglers (and one of the finest casters you'll ever see) pointed out several things. Since I didn't want to misquote him, I shot him an email, and here's his response:

"Water can wick into a line for a short distance. A properly tied and tightened nail knot will largely prevent it though. If someone wanted to put a dab of some sort of waterproof adhesive on the cut end it wouldn't hurt anything but I doubt it would do much good either. Much more important for tip flotation is to use the smallest nail knot that's strong enough and make sure that the leader butt is stretched straight, and dressed. If the leader butt stays on top, so will the fly line. For light lines I use a 2 turn needle nail knot, plenty strong and very light. I've seen lots of 5 wt. lines with poorly tied 7 turn nail knots slathered in glue, works sort of like a split shot clamped on the end of the line."

You can take his thoughts to the bank.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, The problem may be that the taper is in the PVC coating, which is thinner at the end, so not as buoyant. Cleaning helps, as does a floatant.

Jay Edwards

dublhaul
Sport

Post by dublhaul »

bluesjay wrote:
09/26/20 14:07
Hi Guys, The problem may be that the taper is in the PVC coating, which is thinner at the end, so not as buoyant. Cleaning helps, as does a floatant.

Jay Edwards
Bruce mentioned that as well. So the portion of the line with the least amount of floating material is having to support the (typically) non-buoyant core, the knot, any added "goo" and the heaviest part of the leader. And it's exposed to the maximum amount of wear and tear, being the most-used portion of the line.

perfesser
Guide

Post by perfesser »

Last edited by perfesser on 01/25/21 17:53, edited 1 time in total.

JMQ4
Sport

Post by JMQ4 »

I use a small drop of UV knot sense

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

I also use the UV Cure stuff. It seems to work reasonably well.

Pat

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Super glue or zap-a-gap, plus floatant.

Morten

Post by Morten »

I think what is responsible for the tip sinking in most cases, is the leader, and drag.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”