Summer isn’t paying attention to the calendar

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Summer isn’t paying attention to the calendar

Post by BigTJ »

Yesterday, a full three weeks into the Fall season, I caught the fish below on a #10 dry fly at about 5:30 in the evening, air temp in the low 80’s, wet wading with sandals and shorts. The calendar says it’s Fall but Summer doesn’t seem to be agreeing with it.

Credit to the James Reid 8’2” 2 wt prototype I was using it handled the fish with no problems.

John

joep
Master Guide

Re: Summer isn’t paying attention to the calendar

Post by joep »

How was the rod, my ticket is coming up with James any day?

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

It is fantastic. James’ rods are typically pretty strong for their line rating. For close up fishing I use it with a DT-3 silk Phoenix line. About 10-15’ of line plus a short furled leader when I’m fishing that setup. Hope you enjoy the rod.

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

I'm still wet wading over here (eastern WA) with the days in the 70's and the water in the high 50's. I'll take it as long as the sun keeps shining down. :)

Pat

CDCdun
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by CDCdun »

I typically love October. You never know what you’re gonna get. Some years it’s a late summer, others an early winter. But it’s always pretty. The prettiest month (really Id say September 15th-October 15th). Nice fish and that rod sounds really cool. It’s been a long time since I’ve fished anything below a 4 weight. I may have to give those light lines another go!

Jake

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”