Phoenix silk line for Lake Erie Steelhead

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

jburnett

Phoenix silk line for Lake Erie Steelhead

Post by jburnett »

I am a new member. Although I have seen some posts on connecting silk lines to leaders, I hope to get some additional guidance from some of you.

I plan on using an 8 weight Phoenix silk line for Laker Erie tributary steelhead this Fall. Does anyone have a suggestion as to the best way to connect a leader to the line? Jean Brookes at Phoenix suggested a nail knot or braided nylon loops specifically made for salmon lines - I got the sense this was because of the potential size of the fish. I am wondering if a Minicon loop would suffice. I'd rather not get into nail knots (I'm lousy at tying knots - I only use three). If any of you have used a Minicon, does it let water into the silk line? If so, I would be concerned about the line not drying and then rotting. I may be overthinking this.

Any advice would be appreciated. By the way, I plan on using a leaded St. John reel with a brass foot repaired recently by Bill Archuletta. I'll attach the reel to an Orvis Manchester, 9 foot rod, built in 1948. I just bought a wet fly leader from Zen Outfitters. I plan on swinging flies. I may not catch any steelhead, but I'm looking forward to using this outfit.

Thanks.

John

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Phoenix silk line for Lake Erie Steelhead

Post by creakycane »

Welcome - I'd whip a loop in the end of the line, using monocord and a bit of superglue.
Here's the concept.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks3iBFhwpOY

perfesser
Guide

Post by perfesser »

Last edited by perfesser on 01/25/21 19:13, edited 1 time in total.

jburnett

Post by jburnett »

Thank you, gentlemen. I appreciate your prompt replies!

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”