Frst fish

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

fireman10
Sport

Frst fish

Post by fireman10 »

Got the bug to make cane rods earlier this year after fishing a few. Took a week long class from a local maker and when I got home I started splitting cane. What a blast i've been having. Finally got out today to fish my first solo build. A Payne 101 taper. Caught a bunch of eager trout and smiled with every one. Making a Payne 98 taper right now. My wife calls it a mid life crisis but its just relaxing as hell for me. I can disappear into my shop and there's just no way to rush things. You cant skip ahead and you have to just follow what you've learned.

GrsdLnr
Master Guide

Re: Frst fish

Post by GrsdLnr »

Looks great! :skoal

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

Way to go! Keep posting pictures.

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

Very nice! I love the challenge of tying my own flies and actually catching fish on them. I can't imagine how great it would feel to catch a fish on a fly you've tied and a rod you've made yourself. I doubt I'll ever know that feeling, but it sure looks like you're enjoying it. :)

Pat

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Excellent work fireman10. That has got to feel great getting your first rod hooked to a fish. Hopefully you continue to enjoy the hobby of rod building. I am just getting started with straightening strips and planing and I agree there are no shortcuts. And if you are indeed a fireman, THANK YOU for your service.

Michael
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

MGrallert
Guide

Post by MGrallert »

way to go!!

fireman10
Sport

Post by fireman10 »

I am. 23 years in the fire service and 30 years as a paramedic. Still love my job but looking forward to my next stage........retirement.

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

Thats very talented! The rod looks great!

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

fireman10 wrote:
10/08/20 14:47
23 years in the fire service and 30 years as a paramedic. Still love my job but looking forward to my next stage........retirement.

Nice-looking rod. If that's a midlife crisis, embrace it. You earned it!

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

Good for you!!
Gary

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”