YNP first week of October

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Bud
Master Guide

YNP first week of October

Post by Bud »

I just returned from a week in YNP with good friends Robert Sherrill and Rusty Moen. The weather was clear and warm which made the fishing a little more challenging than usual for this time of year. Not much baetis action and swinging soft hackles for run up fish was spotty. Grasshoppers were still pretty active along grassy banks. We did manage to connect with some nice fish and the park was beautiful. I caught my first West Slope Cutthroat in the Gibbon. What a beautiful fish. The Lamar was pretty low which concentrated the fish in deeper holes with some structure. Once
We found them the cutthroats were very user friendly averaging a solid 16 inches. Robert showed up with a prototype 8 1/2 foot 4 wt of his own design that rocked paired up with a Zen Outfitters silk DT4 line. It has enough power to deal with the afternoon wind and is long enough to lift a lot of line for effective mending. I loved it. Hit him up for the details. We stayed at Dennis “Firehole” Callaway’s condo just outside of town. I highly recommend it. It’s away from the chaos of West Yellowstone at a very reasonable cost.
It was a great trip with wonderful friends.

owenscaddis
Master Guide

Re: YNP first week of October

Post by owenscaddis »

Looks like a great trip with great friends. Thanks for posting.

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

Musta been beautiful walking those banks... wonderful...
Your rod choice reminds me of my last trip to YNP. Carried one rod - fished the smallest to the largest - a Granger Colorado Special - 8 1/2' - 4-5 weight.... Was perfect and did everything as designed...
Again, all looks pretty great to me...

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Booman2 »

Messel and I departed a little prior to your arrival. Fishing was OK in the park, but the crowds were huge. Next year, I am dressing Gregg up in a grizzly bear suit and have him wander around someplace far away from where I want to drive and fish.
I'd like to fish Robert's 8'6" #4, sounds like it is a winning taper. I used my old Leonard M-50 and a really old Winston 8' 6" #5.
When I was there the lower Gibbon was very slow, much like the past few Septembers, at least for me.

Bud
Master Guide

Post by Bud »

We found the Gibbon slow too. But those West Slope Cutthroat are beautiful.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Nice!
Thanks

redband02
Guide

Post by redband02 »

I was in Yellowstone last week also. Blue bird skys and moderate temperatures. Morning fishing on the Firehole was good. Afternoon fishing very slow.

YNP reported in the local news last night that visitation for 2020 in September was up 21% over visitation last September. And last year was a record breaking year for visitation. I could believe it. Traffic was about normal for July, way to heavy for October, a couple of accidents, Elk and Moose jams, parking lots full at lower geyser and midway geyser basins, people parked on the shoulders at Midway. Madison parking areas on SR191 packed. Lots of fishermen on the Madison in the park, few on the Firehole and Gibbon. Motel prices down to affordability

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

Bud,
Thanks for the plug. It's always enjoyable having you guys stay every year. Looking forward to seeing you next fall. Stay safe & healthy my friends!!!
Dennis

P.S. It snowed overnight in Yellowstone Country.

Bud
Master Guide

Post by Bud »

We’re looking forward to it.

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

Hi, I was there too a couple days. Tuesday and Wednesday, but in the East part. Fished Lamar, Soda Butte, and Slough Creek (this one by the campground). Overall it was pretty slow with only getting consistent action in Lamar. Although we caught bigger fish in Soda Butte. I have fished Slough a couple times before in the first and second meadows. In my opinion is worth the hike.

I fished a 7'9" 5 wt Bill Critchfield rod, a pleasure to cast.

Tight Lines

scarlet>fire
Guide

Post by scarlet>fire »

Gorgeous photos of one of my favorite places on earth! Thank you for sharing! Cheers, Chris

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”