The Complete Fisherman

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

The Complete Fisherman

Post by kevinhaney1 »

If you haven't seen this 18 minute film, it is definitely worth a watch!

https://www.patagonia.com/stories/il-pe ... 85862.html
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

mlarocco
Master Guide

Re: The Complete Fisherman

Post by mlarocco »

I would like to fish there. For some reason as I watched my mind kept drifting off to thoughts about epic meals ::)

japhy0508
Sport

Post by japhy0508 »

Absolutely loved it. Enjoyed the less is more philosophy and the years of watching/learning/note taking....a dedication to the art. Thanks for sharing.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

Great short film!

I have always been a big Yvon Chouinard fan from his days big wall climbing in Yosemite and selling pitons out the the trunk of his car. That's where the company Patagonia got its start, from the trunk of his car. That's a fascinating story itself!

Chouinard always finds people and places that take you back to the very basics of fly fishing. I liked the line (paraphrased), "...simplicity is when you can't take anything more away".

Notice that the old man has but one rod but a large wallet loaded with lines and leaders. Chouinard is a student of fly fishing and his explanation that it all boils down to the action of the fly is spot on. However, it's how that old man does that that is his secret. Very cool.

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Excellent. Reminds me of the saying, "beware the man who has just one gun."

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

That is a great short film, thank you. I love the simplicity; the taking away of everything unnecessary. I also know that Yvon truly appreciates the beauty and unabashed soulfullness of this fishing . I had the honor of eating lunch with Yvon on a mountain top in the early 1990's. He is as genuine and thoughtful as you would imagine. Seeing him now I realize that he was about my age on that day. This made my evening, now back to the roof to trowel the chimney cap, in a storm....Love MT...
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Havana
Sport

Post by Havana »

A great film on the joys of simplicity but also, I think, on the value of experience. The skill and knowledge displayed is founded on a lifetime of experience. Sometimes we miss that because we're all in such a damn hurry and focused on the wrong places and things. Go out and do things and pass on the experiences.
Some days I fish, the rest are wasted

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”