Terenzio artificial silk weight question

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

ffftroutbum
Master Guide

Terenzio artificial silk weight question

Post by ffftroutbum »

Hi folks, I have certainly enjoyed my DT4 Terenzio artificial silk line. However I always thought it was a bit light. I weighted the first 30 feet today and got 111 grains. If I accounted for the 6 inch tip I got 112 grains. That makes it closer to a 3 1/2 than a 4. I am considering ordering a 4 1/2 DT. Does anyone have a weight on their artificial silk DT 4 1/2? Thanks

holla999
Sport

Re: Terenzio artificial silk weight question

Post by holla999 »

hi,
yes, the Terenzio art. flylines are on the light size.
but when you grease them good, the weight is better.
I grease them with help of the heatgun, so the grease is in the line, not on it.
do not forget that plastic lines are all over the AFTMA weight.
when you are not casting great distances you would be better with the 4 1/2.
good luck with your flylines
greetings from the Netherlands
Peter

BambooNut
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BambooNut »

holla999 wrote:
12/12/20 05:36
hi,
yes, the Terenzio art. flylines are on the light size.
but when you grease them good, the weight is better.
I grease them with help of the heatgun, so the grease is in the line, not on it.
do not forget that plastic lines are all over the AFTMA weight.
when you are not casting great distances you would be better with the 4 1/2.
good luck with your flylines
greetings from the Netherlands
Peter
Plastic lines are mostly overweight. There are some that are as they should be like the 406.

wb4tjh
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wb4tjh »

I have two Terenzio artificial silk lines. I had them made as a 4.5 and 5.5 weights and they cast perfectly. I have not weighed them, but after using them, I find no reason to complain. They cast very well when the wind is up.

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

Perhaps you did not weigh them correctly I find it hard to believe that 6 inches of fly line weigh one grain weight.
My terenzio's seem to cast nicely but I have them in 41/2,5,51/2 and 6 weight so I generally can match them up correctly.

Bud
Master Guide

Post by Bud »

In my experience transitioning from plastic lines to silk is tricky but interesting. I have a Terrenzio DT5. I have not weighed it. I use it on a Sherrill 7’9” rod that I use a Cortland 444 DT5 on. Both lines cast extremely well on this rod. But the character of the rod changes from line to line. With the plastic line the rod has an extremely pleasant medium action easily lays out 50 feet of line without much effort and without having to double haul or punch out a cast. Add a little more power and a double haul and 70 feet isn’t a problem. With the Terrenzio, the rod loads differently. First of all, the line picks up from the water surface easier and the line speed increases without adding power to the cast. The rod doesn’t load as deeply to generate the same line speed so the action feels a little faster and the tip feels like it recovers faster. I don’t think these differences are because of line weight as much as different characteristics between silk and plastic lines.

For what it’s worth , I have found that on most of my rods I can go down a line weight when I switch to silk with suffering any loss of performance. Your results may vary.

Bob G
Guide

Post by Bob G »

I just did the math, and it is actually quite logical that the 6 inch tip section would weigh 1 grain. I have owned and fished the Terenzio Artificial Silk line in a DT-4 and it is a beautiful casting line. In this Thread’s case ffftroutbum has weighed his DT-4 line and noted that it is light at 111 grains, and he was simply inquiring if any member has a grain weight on the front 30 feet of a DT-4 1/2 Terenzio Artificial Silk line.
Best Regards, Bob

ffftroutbum
Master Guide

Post by ffftroutbum »

Yep, thanks Bob, just trying to determine if anyone that has a 4.5 has weighed it. I ended up ordering a 3.5 and 4.5 weight anyways, so I can always weigh them when I get them.

Rsagebrush - I tried to weight the line as carefully as I could. It is possible I could have made a mistake. Heck, I can breathe on my grain scale and get it to move. In accounting for the tip, I added six inches to the amount weighed and held the six inch tip in a neutral position from the scale. It appeared to result in a one grain difference. But at the end of the day I am not sure it’s really that material. As a gut check, I also weighted on an Umpqua grain scale. It actually came up lighter on it. I think I trust my other grain scale more.

There is no doubt that I have enjoyed my artificial silk line. Heck the summer before last, I took a rainbow from the Ranch section of the Henry’s Fork in the seven pound class with mine. It was the second largest fish I have caught on the Ranch. I was thrilled, and these are truly excellent lines.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”