Casting question

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Casting question

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Back cast and forecast should be the same speed. Try to think the rod tip in a straight line.......... $.02

Jay Edwards

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

It’s an old video about casting from the 1980’s but sure worth a watch.
To improve the first basics of casting the principles taught doesn’t change.

https://youtu.be/UWwOUvEOHN8

Bill Moschler
Guide

Post by Bill Moschler »

I have never made a practice cast without a leader. why would one do that?

BambooNut
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BambooNut »

I read that's not good for the line.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

BambooNut wrote:
12/23/20 09:51
I read that's not good for the line.
You are correct -- when I first started 45 years ago, I practiced casting without a leader and the end of the fly line looked like a cat-o-nine-tails.

wiesent
Sport

Post by wiesent »

I am just starting my fly fishing career at 21 years old :D I have never had any lessons, just copied from other good casters and tried to soak up as much as I could. But in principle, the others are right, with lessons you do nothing wrong and is also recommended.

I approached fly fishing with a "learning by doing" attitude. Lots of reading, lots of videos and trying it out right away. At some point, the moment comes when you realize that it gets better.

Cast, cast, cast.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

wiesent wrote:
12/23/20 12:19
I am just starting my fly fishing career at 21 years old :D I have never had any lessons, just copied from other good casters and tried to soak up as much as I could. But in principle, the others are right, with lessons you do nothing wrong and is also recommended.

I approached fly fishing with a "learning by doing" attitude. Lots of reading, lots of videos and trying it out right away. At some point, the moment comes when you realize that it gets better.

Cast, cast, cast.
Self taught is not always bad. Listening to others/reading/viewing is the key :)
Good casting: from rest, accelerate, stop, pause, accelerate, stop. Fundamentals.

dorenac
Master Guide

Post by dorenac »

I am self taught having learned from Mel Kreiger videos over and over and over again. Secondly I used some of Lefty Krehs books and videos. Lefty's books will have frame by frame photos which really helped me. FWIW

wctc1
Master Guide

Post by wctc1 »

Good thread. Strongly agree with BambooNut on casting on asphalt, also on having at least a short leader and bush.

Kiley used to cast on the road to test his rods. Since it was a bit downhill, his clients sometimes thought great things. But Steve's quality was A #1, so his rods had great value.

Anyway, Steve had to buy new test lines every once in a while. On the other hand, when I tried casting on his road, it gave him a good excuse to cringe, throw up his hands, moan, and wander into his shop for a wee dram of the Irish.

Thus, I got to cast a lot of Kiley rods.

Be safe; I want everyone to have a great 2021 !

Ps: My best memory of casting was with a carbon based, woven graphite rod that cost about 1K in Joel's parking lot, with permission to try it along with the folks there that day. One of Joel's guides asked me after a few casts about what I was aiming at. I said, "that leaf." We both laughed. Anyway, the rod was way out of my price range, plus it was not organic, so it was just a fun time. Happy 2021 ! Hay! I alrady said that and it's not even New Yaer's eve!

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

It looks like the the member (Minnesota) who started this topic is unfortunately not longer among us?
His last visit was May 2021...

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RMorrison »

Probably true of hundreds of threads on this site 4+ years old.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Only a few of us ding-dongs are in it for the long haul!

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Post by JoeBolt »

If you were lead here by my recent post, I get it. I admired Minnesota's bravery to film and ask for critique, and to see him get great advice.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

ibookje wrote:
02/01/24 17:34
It looks like the the member (Minnesota) who started this topic is unfortunately not longer among us?
His last visit was May 2021...
Minnesota mentioned earlier in the thread that his health prevented him from driving to somewhere he could get lessons; I remember watching his casting videos when he posted them but I can't recall what if he was elderly or anything like that. Hope he's still with us in the grander scheme of things.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

GerardH wrote:
02/02/24 09:43
Minnesota mentioned earlier in the thread that his health prevented him from driving to somewhere he could get lessons; I remember watching his casting videos when he posted them but I can't recall what if he was elderly or anything like that. Hope he's still with us in the grander scheme of things.
I helped Minnesota with answering his questions via PMs.
Also made a casting (actually breaking down the casting motion) video for him.

Haven't heard from him since the last exchange of PM, but the recent continuing of another casting topic (started by me BTW) by member JoeBolt 'revived' this topic...

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”