Rio Elite Technical Trout Line

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

joep
Master Guide

Rio Elite Technical Trout Line

Post by joep »

I was just browsing and saw a $120 trout line. The price caught my eye so i took a look. They look interesting even with wanting to gag on the price. Anyone have experience. The heads are more than half the 90Ft line. I assume it is a triangle taper type, i only saw them on the bay.

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Rio Elite Technical Trout Line

Post by Shrimpman »

I am neither elite nor especially technical, so they would probably be lost on me. ;)
I can't see myself coughing up $120 for one of them, but if they added "tactical" or "stealth"to the descriptors, I couldn't resist. That sucker would likely cast itself into orbit without my ever touching the rod. Really, they should be outlawed.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

Quick look, Phoenix silk lines are around 200 euros. Not sure what the exchange rate is. I know that taken care of if you get 20 yrs out of the silk, it's only 10euros/year.
Taken care of, how long will a plastic line go? The $120 rio if you get 10yrs out of it, it's only $12/yr.

:)

Just saying. If someone wants to buy it, they will.

BambooNut
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BambooNut »

mer wrote:
12/25/20 15:27
Quick look, Phoenix silk lines are around 200 euros. Not sure what the exchange rate is. I know that taken care of if you get 20 yrs out of the silk, it's only 10euros/year.
Taken care of, how long will a plastic line go? The $120 rio if you get 10yrs out of it, it's only $12/yr.

The same ones who'll pay $1000 for a graphite rod will think nothing of paying $120 for a plastic line.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

BambooNut wrote:
12/25/20 18:58
mer wrote:
12/25/20 15:27

The same ones who'll pay $1000 for a graphite rod will think nothing of paying $120 for a plastic line.
>:D

ffftroutbum
Master Guide

Post by ffftroutbum »

I have used a Rio DT4 technical trout for about 2 seasons now. It’s not the elite version as mentioned in the original post though. It has been a very nice line, and I have really enjoyed using it. I do not really care for the peach side, and it had some significant memory out of the box. However, the memory issues went away after the line was fished or broken in a bit. It also appears a bit fatter than the 406 or Sylk lines. However, I still prefer it along with the Rio Lightline DT over the 406 and the Sylk. It’s a very nice line. I bought a DT5 premier technical trout toward the end of the season but have not used it yet. It has the new slickcast finish in it.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

ffftroutbum wrote:
12/26/20 08:38
I have used a Rio DT4 technical trout for about 2 seasons ...
It also appears a bit fatter than the 406 or Sylk lines.
Rio lines seems to be fatter overall than SA made lines

Bob G
Guide

Post by Bob G »

I want to start by explaining that I am a tad overboard on preferring small diameter double taper floating fly line points and front tapers for my trout fishing. I have had this preference for nearly 50 years, and it was magnified in 1975 when a dear friend gifted me his micrometer. As a result, every few years I try to collect a few manufacturers DT-3,4,5-F lines in an attempt to learn if any recent line offerings, most importantly with advertising that states small diameter profile and perhaps with enhanced casting and material formulas, will appeal to me. In recent years I have learned that the manufacturers’ claims of stated smaller diameters don’t seem to materialize. For example, the front taper and tip of my RIO Lightline in 3 and 4 weight matches the diameter of my past comparable sized 406 and Sylk lines. Please don’t take any of my ramblings as a criticism because compared to most lines on the market these lines do have a smaller diameter silhouette. Instead, this is just food for thought when labeling an entire manufacturer’s lines. Finally, the RIO lightline in double tapers is a beautiful fishing and casting line, and is far and away my favorite plastic line...I do hope that Rio stays with the current taper and formula.
Best, Bob
Last edited by Bob G on 12/26/20 17:58, edited 1 time in total.

Palakona123
Guide

Post by Palakona123 »

I bought a Rio gold in the elite series, but I can’t really see any good reason to do so. I can’t see any difference between a «normal» fly line and the elite. Infact, I prefer the premier version over the intouchcore and elite. This, and the fact that these lines cost about $180 here makes it a total waste, in my opinion.
The premier version has a nice core with little memory, that strech a bit, and absorbe the shock when you hook a fish. The intouch and elite has some severe memory, and has actually too little strech in my opinion. They might last a bit longer, and shoot a couple of inches further, but in actual fishing with wind, abrasive mud and rocks, I can’t see that these expensive lines last longer and shoot further. The technical trout taper seems interesting though.

Bob G
Guide

Post by Bob G »

I apologize for not hitting the threads’s topic in my earlier post. So here goes, I have fished Rio’s Connect-Core (Elite Series feature) in another RIO model floating line, and I am not a fan, and therefore I don’t own and haven’t fished the Technical Trout in the Elite series. However, I do own the Premier version of the Technical Trout line in 3, 4, and 5 weights which also have the SlickCast feature. While I have only fished the 4 weight so far, this line does shoot beautifully. Is the Slick-Cast necessary? No. Yet if nothing else would change (Suppleness and Smaller Diameter profile) on the Rio lightline this Slick-Cast feature would be nice to have. As an aside, the Premier Series lines costs $30 to $40 less than the Elite Series. I understand that either Series of line costs more than many want to spend... Best, Bob
Last edited by Bob G on 12/29/20 13:10, edited 2 times in total.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Bob G wrote:
12/26/20 11:39
Finally, the RIO lightline in double tapers is a beautiful fishing and casting line, and is far and away my favorite plastic line...I do hope that Rio stays with the current taper and formula.
Definitely. It is a nice line. I use a DT4F on my 5 weight Norling and like the combo.

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Post by DireWolf53 »

I suppose if I ever were fortunate enough to secure a beat on either the Test or Itchen (where the trout are mos def elite) I'll give one a whirl. In the meantime trout I stalk don't seem to give a fig what line I use ;)
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

BambooNut
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BambooNut »

DireWolf53 wrote:
12/26/20 21:23
I suppose if I ever were fortunate enough to secure a beat on either the Test or Itchen (where the trout are mos def elite) I'll give one a whirl. In the meantime trout I stalk don't seem to give a fig what line I use ;)
I never saw a trout cast a fly line. Lines are made for humans. I guess some think they're Elite.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”