Christmas Eve Fishing

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Christmas Eve Fishing

Post by flyfishingpastor »

This year, since we had video-taped the service the week before, for the first time in nearly 4 decades; I had nothing to do on Christmas Eve (I had already edited the service multiple times). So, I went fishing. Now, my 6 member immediate family (my Covid Bubble Group) was gathering at 6 pm for dinner and to watch the service together, so my son-in-law and I went out on Christmas Eve Morning - around 10.

The roads, as expected were bad. Not much snow, but an inch of ice under it, so we made it as far back on the gravel road as we could make it - and called it good enough. The air temp was 21 degrees with a bit of a breeze. The water temp was 31 degrees. The sun was shining but we had to walk about a quarter mile down into a canyon to the stream and the sun didn't make it down there. It had some shelf ice on the shore but the stream was clear as glass and flowing free.

We fished for about an hour or so and the temps were dropping and the wind was picking up and with having to de-ice the rod guides every other cast, we called it quits. Though I was wearing insulated underwear and layers, top and bottom and my waders, I was about frozen when I made it back to the Jeep. Man, it was cold. I loved every moment of it. :) No fish were taken, though I did get a couple of "bumps" I couldn't move fast enough in the cold to set the hook.

Here's a couple pictures. Pic 1 The road in & 2 & 3: Down in the canyon.

That might be the last winter fishing pics this year! :)

Pat

Bamboo River
Guide

Re: Christmas Eve Fishing

Post by Bamboo River »

Beautiful looking pictures.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Christmas Eve Fishing

Post by ibookje »

What is nicer than to be on the river?

McHull
Master Guide

Post by McHull »

That looks cold, but beautiful!

Thanks for sharing.
In the night I dreamed of trout-fishing - The Maine Woods - Henry David Thoreau

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

Very nice pictures and report.

I have a hard time justifying getting out with temps below 28 degrees F. I fish spring creeks so the water is fine, but it is a struggle cleaning the ice in the guides as you stated with colder temperatures.

Tight Lines

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Pat,
Thanks so much for sharing those photos! You made my day, and so glad you had the opportunity!
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Beautiful pictures, Pat, especially the colors in the first one! Thanks for sharing.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

You live in a beautiful state of mind good Sir. Thank you for your positive perspective!
Have a wonderful New Year.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

:skoal

RBishop
Sport

Post by RBishop »

I don't post here often, but those are beautiful moments you captured. Washington is a wonderful state! Wish it weren't so far from Tennessee!

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

Great pics Pat. Too bad the fish didn't cooperate.
Dennis

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

I try to start my Christmas Day off fishing but we were going to my daughter's house for brunch. SO, I fished Christmas Eve since the CE Service was filmed the week before. It was cold as the dickens but I never cease to be amazed by the beauty of nature. 2 hour drive to the stream. 2 hour drive back. 1 hour fishing. Worth every moment spent driving (especially when we hit the mountains). :) I can hardly stand the cold anymore but I love the winter. Go figure. :)

Pat

gjbu

Post by gjbu »

Beautiful pictures.

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

All my pics nowadays are taken on my iPhone. I find it somewhat ironic that I can't leave my phone in the car - even when there's no cell service because it's my camera as well. I've had one iPhone or another for a decade or so and I've gradually began to leave my cameras at home. I used to take pictures to show other people or to frame and give as gifts, etc. Now I only take pictures for "February."

In one of his books, author Gene Hill said something like "February is the time in your life to remember." He wasn't talking about just the month. He was talking about a season, a time in every persons' life when they can't do what they did. February is the time of year when fishing is over for most of us and the next season hasn't come around yet. That's when most of us clean up our gear, tie flies or even occasionally tromp through the snow to fish to remember the past season; the highs and the inevitable lows. We sit by the fire, real or imagined, with a beverage of choice at hand and remember what needed remembering.

But, I don't think that was what Hill was talking about I think he was talking about "February" as a season of life; when all we used to be able to do is no more and we're not ready for the big "next step" - however you see that. So, I take pictures and I share a few now and then, but not because they are excellent picture quality, I share them with you as a side-bar to my doing what we all love to do. I take pictures for when it's "February" in my life and maybe I can't fish, but I can remember while I wait for whatever comes next. Now, at 65, I'd say I'm in September or so in my life season, maybe October, but "February's" coming and I'll have thousands of pictures that remind me of that time in Idaho or Montana - or was it in West Virginia or Pennsylvania? Or, that time when the Beadster cleared about 50 yards of stream-side brush with GoFish's favorite rod. Or, on the Henry's Fork when my wife and I just sat by the stream because there was a blanket hatch on and she didn't want "bugs crawling all over her." Or, the first time my daughter and I fished in Yellowstone or my grandaughters fishing the Firehole River or Kelly Creek? You get it. I know you do.

So, I'm glad you enjoy my occasional pictures, but there are too many first class professional and amateur photographers to think my photography is technically good. I just point and push a button on my phone. And, wait for February... Thanks to all for your kind words!
Pat

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”