4 wgt vs 5 wgt?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: 4 wgt vs 5 wgt?

Post by Flykuni3 »

Oh yeah, it'd handle 10' of 5 line, but I normally cast 6'--20'. Heheheh.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

Flykuni3 wrote:
01/04/21 20:33
Oh yeah, it'd handle 10' of 5 line, but I normally cast 6'--20'. Heheheh.
:rollin :hat

MattZilliox
Guide

Post by MattZilliox »

I'm going to resurrect this out of curiosity.
Before finding bamboo, and having fished with folks of a more European influence at times, I've always thought the American opinion that a 5wt graphite is perfect for trout seemed odd. They have always felt overgunned for me unless I'm fishing streamers or double nymphs. Then I love a 5 and 6 for delivering those flies.

I like to fish light. I fish a sage 0wt and zxl 2wt often. I have landed many big fish in New Zealand, Wyoming, Idaho and South Africa on the 2wt. I also fish a troutsmith glass 3wt a lot.

My first bamboo rod is a 7ft 6 5wt. While I think it's a delight to fish, I find myself missing the delicacy and fun factor of my 2 and 3wts and I'm searching for something lighter, like a 3wt.

All of this said, it seems an 8'3" 4wt would be perfect. Just like an 8ft 2 or 3 has been my go to in glass and graphite.

As i gain experience casting bamboo, i hope to develop preferences just like all of yours. Id wager i still end up fishing 3s and 4s a lot.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

MattZilliox wrote:
04/03/23 09:29
I'm going to resurrect this out of curiosity.
Before finding bamboo, and having fished with folks of a more European influence at times, I've always thought the American opinion that a 5wt graphite is perfect for trout seemed odd. They have always felt overgunned for me unless I'm fishing streamers or double nymphs. Then I love a 5 and 6 for delivering those flies.
I haven't been through this thread and just responding to your query specifically:

I think the advice of a 5wt is not as much that it's "perfect" for trout as it's a case of if you're only able to have one rod or it's your first rod, a 5wt might be the best choice because it has more versatility than a 3, or a 2, or a 0 wt for the reasons you noted above. If you're really into fly fishing and have the means to do so, then it certainly makes sense to explore those lighter weights and have multiple rods.
Last edited by GerardH on 04/03/23 10:42, edited 1 time in total.

MattZilliox
Guide

Post by MattZilliox »

I hear the versatile argument. You can get bass, carp, steelhead, and even little tarpon on a 5wt.

I'm seeing these posts of how folk choose bamboo between 4 or 5 and some folks seem to just always fish a 5. I know these cats aren't holding just one orvis 8ft 5wt to do everything, we are speaking of choice.

It's just interesting how we all make choices. Like it never occurred to me that you'd not take a 3wt because there's probably 18 inch fish.

One commenter Even thinks bamboo is tougher for fighting fish! I'm excited to test all of these theories.

EastslopesTH
Master Guide

Post by EastslopesTH »

MattZilliox wrote:
04/03/23 09:29
I like to fish light. I fish a sage 0wt and zxl 2wt often. I have landed many big fish in New Zealand, Wyoming, Idaho and South Africa on the 2wt. I also fish a troutsmith glass 3wt a lot.

My first bamboo rod is a 7ft 6 5wt. While I think it's a delight to fish, I find myself missing the delicacy and fun factor of my 2 and 3wts and I'm searching for something lighter, like a 3wt.

All of this said, it seems an 8'3" 4wt would be perfect. Just like an 8ft 2 or 3 has been my go to in glass and graphite.

As i gain experience casting bamboo, i hope to develop preferences just like all of yours. Id wager i still end up fishing 3s and 4s a lot.
Another thing to consider is that a 4wt (or 3wt etc) in graphite doesn't necessarily equate to 4wt in bamboo due to the fact graphite is so stiff (fast) compared to bamboo. IMHO, the fact action handles larger fish a little easier than fuller flexing bamboo does. I used to fish smaller trout rivers with a 7'9" 3wt (St Croix Legend Ultra) and it handled trout up to about 16" or so really well. However, after switching almost exclusively to bamboo for smaller waters, I mainly fish those same waters with 4wts (in lengths from 7' to 8'). Quite frankly I feel 7'6" 4wts are a sweet spot for me and I have several that get fished regularly.

I'm not discouraging 3wt bamboo, but I feel they are more limiting on the size of water and fish they could (should) be used on. I own several 3wts that I use on the smallest of streams that I fish where the trout are usually 14" or less.
Anyway, I know this is a late reply but I hope it helps.
Ron

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

[quote=MattZilliox post_id=975852 time=1680532174 user_id=32227
All of this said, it seems an 8'3" 4wt would be perfect.
[/quote]

Longer hollowed 4 weight rods are a delight to fish.

If you can’t get a delicate presentation with 5 weight rod you won’t get it with a 4 weight rod either. And if you’re using a lighter weight rod to create the sensation of making a small fish feel like a larger one, you’re only fooling yourself.

MattZilliox
Guide

Post by MattZilliox »

Thank you both for adding some nuance

Yes, it's because graphite is "faster" or more stiff that I prefer 2 and 3wts. They seem to protect tippet better.

And again. I'm limited in bamboo experience, but I'm a pretty able caster who fishes long leaders to "picky" fish often. The 9ft 4wt helios won't ever deliver the delicacy of the zxl 2wt. Can I be gentle enough with it and a long leader? Sure. But that 2wt and its accompanying line play with gravity and physics differently.

I do think the 5wt bamboo lays out a more delicate cast than the 4wt helios though.

Only one thing to do, and that's fish a 3wt, 4wt and 5wt a bunch and see what happens... terrible, I know.

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

I use a Winston WT 8' 3pce 3 wt and it is as full working as any of my bamboo rods, not stiff at all, I mean really smooth. My Montana Brother's 904L likes a 4wt, also not fast, or stiff, I haven't tried it with a 5 though, or I might find it OK with a 3 too.

A lot of my Bamboo rods are equally adept at handling either a 4 or 5 wt line, if my average casting range is over 30 feet I'll probably use a 4, if it's shorter I'll happily use a 5 then, but they work fine the other way around too.

Now some of my 4 wts do not like a 5 all that much, they are rather like 3/4wt rods in my opinion. My 1 through 3 wts pretty much like that line designation although my 1 works quite well with a 2wt line at shorter distances but I can easily stretch it out to 30 feet.

I've a couple of 5/6 weights that are also fine with either line and one, my Walton Powell, is adept with a 5/6 or 7 weight line equally.

I think most rods will easily handle at least two line weights handily. Most of my fish are caught within 40 feet.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

I've had a couple of old time bamboo guys, who are much more knowledgeable than I am, tell me that 5/6 wt seems to be the sweet spot for bamboo rods. Maybe...I don't have anything to refute or support that notion. But for my own collection, I see no need to go lighter than a 4wt.

flyty2
Master Guide

Post by flyty2 »

I feel under gunned with a 9' 6wt graphite on some of the large rivers I fish, where every fish is over 16" and most of the fish I catch are in the 18"-20" range. Because of the current, I think it takes me too long to land the fish (maybe I need to learn more about landing a fish?). I would rather not fish a 5wt bamboo on those rivers. I've also waded to the end of a submerged gravel bar before, where I could feel the current removing my footing if I went a step too far, and in my precarious position I had no ability to chase a fish down river.

Are you guys/gals fishing from a drift boat when you land big fish with a 3-4 wt?

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

I'm sure I'll take some heat, but such a silly guestion.
What is the point of it?

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

I have no issue with fishing light line 2,3, and 4 weight rods. My issue is, how many fish survive after a twenty minute tussle on a 2 weight rod and a 7X leader in 68 degree water. Oh yes let us not forget the arbitrary hero shots.

There are times when a light line rod is appropriate:

Sneeze anywhere near here and you’ll put the fish down for hours.

From my perspective it all boils down to using equipment appropriate to fooling the quarry and landing the fish quickly to ensure its survival. If that means a 2 weight and 7X or a 6 weight and 4X, it’s all a matter of venue and fish size.

Richard, the Fishin’ Pole 🇵🇱
Random Casts

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

With the exception of salt water fishing (and maybe carp and steelhead) fish size is never really part of my determination.
It is fly (size), water (size and flow) and wind (potential), that has me picking rod line weight and length.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

So here's another important question...8ft vs 8 1/2 ft rod? Other than 6", what's the point?

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

steeliefool wrote:
04/03/23 18:28
So here's another important question...8ft vs 8 1/2 ft rod? Other than 6", what's the point?
Same could be said 7’6” vs 8’
or 7’ vs 7’6”
or 6’ vs ???
all of a sudden I’m fishing a six-foot rod ;-) !!

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

I've got a 5 1/2 footer I'll sell you! It's all the rage!
Do you think the fish know the difference? or care?

flyty2
Master Guide

Post by flyty2 »

steeliefool wrote:
04/03/23 18:39
I've got a 5 1/2 footer I'll sell you! It's all the rage!
:rollin

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

Hello,

I fish the Driftless. For many years fishing graphite, I would fish exclusively 2 and 3 wts. I only fished anything bigger out West, and mainly 4 wts. Never had a problem landing fish anywhere. Sure, I might not catch big fish like many people on the forum, but I have my share of big fish.... I don't understand when people talk about several minute fights.... I don't think I have fought a fish for more than 5 minutes, and it is just a guess. I remember once in Colorado, probably 20 years ago fighting a few fish for a while, but doubt it was more than a few minutes. My biggest brown, which took me to my backing, was in the Bighorn many years ago. That was 4-5 minute landing at most. And I was a very new to fishing. Great memory.

Anyway... when I started fishing bamboo I focused on lighter rods, bought a couple 3 wts and even a 2 wt built by a forum member. Sooner I was also buying 4 and 5 wt rods. Different makers, different tapers... But I fish 4 and 5 weights in the Driftless and I don't find them "heavy" at all. With my limited knowledge I do think bamboo is a complete different "animal" than graphite (duh, pretty obvious observation).

If I did a blind test of some of my rods, assuming that I did not recognize the grip in my hand, I might called a 3 wt a 5 wt and vice versa. Again, I am a newbie, but wts in bamboo have a completely different meaning to me compared to graphite. Unfortunately this leads me to buy more rods / blanks!

Tight Lines

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

There isn’t a straight answer. Not all 4 or 5 wts are created equal. Compare a light 7’ designed for a 5 to a fast-actioned 8’ 3” 4.

Plus a lot of times it’s more about what you feel like fishing for the day than matching conditions exactly.

John

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”