Super Slam Fishing

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

carl otto
Master Guide

Super Slam Fishing

Post by carl otto »

I have fished the Big Hole a half dozen times in the past decade. This year I once again was able to catch 6 salmonid species in a days float trip (Rainbow, Brown, Brook, Cut, Grayling & Whitefish) for what they call a "super slam". It made me think of other river systems and their salmonid populations. Other than Michigan's "Soo", where else is it possible in the U.S. to catch so many species in the same days fishing?

Carl

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Re: Super Slam Fishing

Post by DaveNJ »

This is one of the few times living on the East Coast doesn't compare.

Le sigh.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Rock Creek; Rainbow, Brown, Brook, Cutthroat, Cutbow, and Bull Trout. And the incidental Squaw fish. But with the state of Mt. being over run at this time I might look elsewhere. Rock Creek has been getting crushed over the past decade and now with an additional 6,600 home currently being built in Missoula it's only going to get worse. Good Luck! :)

Bud
Master Guide

Post by Bud »

Standing on the same rock on my home river, the Brazos I was able to catch a largemouth bass, a white bass, a long nose gar, a bluegill, a red breasted sunfish, a channel cat and a black drum in the same afternoon. Still would have preferred to be on the Big Hole.

BambooNut
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BambooNut »

I never heard of a Super Slam before. I don't fish any waters that have Grayling. I believe the Roaring Fork has Whitefish but I hardly ever fish there.

I did catch a Grand Slam (Brook, Brown, Cut, and Bow) from Chalk Creek here in Colorado. It surprised me for that water and didn't realize I was doing it until I caught the Cutthroat.

Sorry, I don't know Michigan waters but thought i'd mention Chalk Creek because I know some members here fish it.
Pete

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

Love that water upstream of Wise River on the Big Hole—those “super slams” are common up there, and make you appreciate those grayling and whitefish.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

Well up here, brook, brown, rainbow, smallies, chubs and sometimes salmon parr.

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

I had a similar morning of 6 species on the Big Hole 37 years ago under a highway bridge. Was wonderful for a teenager fairly early on in his trout fishing life.

Bud, your variety of species caught in one afternoon would be wildly exotic to most Albertans - none of them exist there. I think the vast majority of anglers from Alberta would take your outing over the one I had on the Big Hole!

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Kept track once fishing the St. Croix River in MN and caught walleye, sauger, crappie, Northern Pike, SM and LM bass, goldeneye, white bass, sheepshead, catfish and a small 38" sturgeon. Oh yeah, one of the catfish caught had a lamprey hanging on it. Many days on St. Croix and Mississippi mean 4-6 species but that one day was an all out blast for variety.

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

I'll be hoping for a Super Slam when I visit Twin Bridges in late June for 4 days of guided/accommodations with Four Rivers Fishing Co. I'm really looking forward to fishing the Big Hole and Jeff since it's been 20+ years I last fished them.
Dennis
Last edited by firehole on 01/04/21 18:23, edited 1 time in total.

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

Hellmtflies wrote:
01/04/21 10:00
Rock Creek; Rainbow, Brown, Brook, Cutthroat, Cutbow, and Bull Trout. And the incidental Squaw fish. But with the state of Mt. being over run at this time I might look elsewhere. Rock Creek has been getting crushed over the past decade and now with an additional 6,600 home currently being built in Missoula it's only going to get worse. Good Luck! :)
Did that one several years back with Gary Lafontaine and my buddy John (WiFlyfisher). Had to work hard for the bull trout as it was in a little hidey hole where the fish was very visible but so was anything coming after it. I think John had that slam too, less the bull trout.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

novisor12
Guide

Post by novisor12 »

I've never done it but theoretically in October in the lower niagara river you could catch a Chinook, coho, Brown, rainbow (steelhead), lake trout, and Atlantic in the same day. I have caught all in the same location in the month of October, but never in the same day. I've also caught smallmouth, walleye, muskie, sturgeon in the same location in October. If you really want to push it you could add carp, sheepshead, rock bass, but those are all non game fish in the niagara.

Probably the best I ever did in a day was laker, steelhead, brown, king, coho. I've only caught 2 Atlantics in the lower niagara.

Cimarron
Guide

Post by Cimarron »

Though I’ve never tried for the big slam in the lake I have a cabin on in northern Ontario, I’m happy for the idea. It has lake trout, northern pike, walleye, smallmouth bass, perch and whitefish, plus a few other players. It would be one heck of a hard and lucky day.

mac7x
Master Guide

Post by mac7x »

Super slam? Give me a break. For me, a good day on the Miramichi is a parr, a chub, and if I'm really lucky, a six inch brookie.

putemback
Guide

Post by putemback »

How ‘bout a Chama slam: rainbow, brown, cutthroat, and carp on the Rio Chama.

:skoal
Justin

"I'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog when it doesn't like a person."-Bill Murray

FreestoneVintage
Sport

Post by FreestoneVintage »

I live not far from Holter Dam on the Missouri in MT. Not strictly salmonids, but I think the Craig super slam would be a rainbow, brown, whitefish, carp, walleye, and a spillover Kokanee (grand slam = 'bow, brown, whitey). The Koke would be fairly easy at certain times of the year, but a carp and a walleye would be very special additions to a day of troutin'.

Nate

6tUc05
Master Guide

Post by 6tUc05 »

Bud...

You have a PM.

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

I did a 3 trout slam on the Dolores River in Colorado one time. Brown, Snake River Cutt, and Rainbow in that order. And one time I fished a place called Lee Valley Reservoir in Arizona (southeast of Show Low, AZ), and caught Grayling all day long. Only fly that worked for them was a size 8 black Wooly Bugger! The Ranger said we could keep all of them we wanted because the lake would freeze over during the winter and they'd loose them anyway. I still put'em back!

Doug K
Master Guide

Post by Doug K »

BambooNut wrote:
01/04/21 10:04
I did catch a Grand Slam (Brook, Brown, Cut, and Bow) from Chalk Creek here in Colorado. It surprised me for that water and didn't realize I was doing it until I caught the Cutthroat.
almost did that this fall in Chalk Cr, was also surprised by it.. brown, cutt and brook, did not find any rainbows. I've got an inkling to head up this year once the creek is stocked since then I'll know where to find the rainbows..

also did the grand slam a couple times in Rocky Mt NP, more by accident than design.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

The main stem of the Big D out east here has numerous species, so don't count out east of the Big Muddy.
It can be salty here as well, then all bets are off!

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”