Marque Hardy. Modèle Hollokona Hollolight. 9 ' 5 /6 weight 3 brins, 1 scion

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

elgato610
Sport

Marque Hardy. Modèle Hollokona Hollolight. 9 ' 5 /6 weight 3 brins, 1 scion

Post by elgato610 »

I just bought my first bamboo rod, a Hardy. Modèle Hollokona Hollolight. 9 foot , soie # 5 /6. 3 brins, 1 scion. I want to use it for fishing spiders . I paid a 100 euros and it has the soft sleeve and is in great condition. Couple of questions: Can I fish this with a 4 weight line or is that a no no for bamboo. 2. What type of reel works well with a 9 foot bamboo rod? I can pick up a Odyssey 420 for 20 bucks, its been well loved but works. Any suggestions about the balance between rod and reel. 3. Any thing special I need to do to take care of this rod or is this rod more of a beater type rod?

samsonboi
Master Guide

Re: Marque Hardy. Modèle Hollokona Hollolight. 9 ' 5 /6 weight 3 brins, 1 scion

Post by samsonboi »

Nice find, it is a nice model rod and if in good condition you probably got a good deal (I’m Canadian/American and don’t know my Euro exchange rates) but I think a Euro is something like 2 dollars give or take a few cents?

You could fish it with a 4, the rod will be fine. As long as you didn’t massively overline it (probably don’t use an 8 or 9) it will be fine with a range of line sizes, it just depends on what you like more. It is not a bamboo no no and bamboo is often more durable than glass and carbon in many respects.

However, for wet flies such as North Country spiders, it is best to have a heavier line than a lighter one. You want a somewhat slow action with a relatively open loop.

I would try a 5 first. You are probably used to having a very underlined rod, as many manufacturers of plastic rods recommend a lighter line in order to make the rod cast farther, sacrificing feel. Bamboo is very different from graphite.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

Oh, and as far as care. NEVER twist sections when taking the rod apart. This is because the rod is made from laminated bamboo and that is not good for the glue joints. Do not get solvents on the varnish, don’t put the rod away in its tube wet, rather hang it to dry in its bag after wiping down the sections with a soft, clean cloth. Also, clean ferrules every so often with alcohol and a cotton swab in the female ferrule.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

elgato610
Sport

Post by elgato610 »

Ok, thanks so much for the tips about rod care and line weight. I will start with a 5 weight and go from there. Now that I have become interested in Bamboo rods, I am seeing them for sale all around me. Here in France there are a bunch of Pezon and Michels for sale on le bon coin ( craigslist meets ebay) for under a 100 euros. I can see how this bamboo thing could quickly become an addiction.

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

Enjoy - 9 footers are very special for wets and dries. My Granger 9 ' Denver Special (5 wt) and my Leonard Catskills 9 ' (4-5 weights) are just beautiful and versatile. One thought - avoid underlining as the bamboo really gets to working with the proper line weight - lighter 9 footers are so much fun...

Enjoy those spiders...

maruoff
Master Guide

Post by maruoff »

You will not have much fun fishing a 4wt on this rod for sure.

It will not load properly and it will be terrible to cast it.

I would typically go for a DT5 WF6 or if you need to load the rod on shorter distances go for a DT6. This will be much nicer and much more fishable. If you use a long leader of 12-18ft you will not have much issues fishing with the thicker line landing too hard fishing soft hackles.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”