Reel to balance 8.5' rod

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

nuchamps5
Sport

Reel to balance 8.5' rod

Post by nuchamps5 »

I've picked up an 8.5' rod that I like the action of, but I'm having trouble finding the right reel to balance it. I find that my CFO IV and III are great for my shorter rods, but they seem really light for this rod and it's still tip heavy. The rod weighs out at 5 5/8 oz and throws a WF6 well, but I'm guess to find a reel that balances this rod, I won't be worrying about line capacity.

Any suggestions for a reel to balance this rod? I'm assuming I'll need a reel that weighs around 7 oz empty, though I can always put some lead core under the backing. I'm partial to click and pawl reels, but this might not be possible given the need for some weight.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Reel to balance 8.5' rod

Post by ibookje »

Budget: Pfleuger Medalist 1495
Higher price: Hardy Perfect 3 3/8"

JMQ4
Sport

Post by JMQ4 »

Maybe a Young's Beaudex or Pridex? I am not entirely sure of the weight.

BambooNut
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BambooNut »

It depends on where you like it to balance? For me, an 8 1/2' rod takes a 10 oz reel to balance it. Reels aren't that heavy, so I need to add weight to it.

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

If you're a believer in balancing a rod with a reel, I would find a way other than leadcore on the spool. Contrary to common belief, the spool is the worst place to add weight. It adds to startup inertia when a fish takes off - bad when using light tippets - and also adds to the momentum of the spinning spool when the fish slows down, possibly causing an overrun and tangle.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Peerless 2A if you can find one.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Tell us more about the rod. I have a South Bend Finalist 1144 that balances heavier 8 1/2' rods (like yours) nicely and it is currently set up for LWH. These are available for not a lot of money. PM me if you'd like to know more as mine is ready for a new home.

Cheers,
Joe

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

ibookje wrote:
01/08/21 15:51

Higher price: Hardy Perfect 3 3/8"
That's what I use . . . happily.
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

The Perfect is a great choice and what I prefer on my 8 1/2' 3/2 Granger 5 weight. My 8 1/2' Thomas dry fly rod is a stronger rod and takes a 6 weight line so I mount a 3 3/8" St. George with the brass reel foot. Balance point isn't "in the cork" but within an inch or so of the front of the grip and comfortable. If on a budget the 1495 Medalist is also a good choice.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

nuchamps5
Sport

Post by nuchamps5 »

16pmd wrote:
01/08/21 16:44
If you're a believer in balancing a rod with a reel, I would find a way other than leadcore on the spool. Contrary to common belief, the spool is the worst place to add weight. It adds to startup inertia when a fish takes off - bad when using light tippets - and also adds to the momentum of the spinning spool when the fish slows down, possibly causing an overrun and tangle.
Thanks, that's great to know! I've never used leadcore to add weight, so this is a really good point that I hadn't really thought of.

nuchamps5
Sport

Post by nuchamps5 »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:
01/08/21 16:51
Tell us more about the rod. I have a South Bend Finalist 1144 that balances heavier 8 1/2' rods (like yours) nicely and it is currently set up for LWH. These are available for not a lot of money. PM me if you'd like to know more as mine is ready for a new home.

Cheers,
Joe
Thanks everyone! These are great suggestions, plenty to go from here.

I don't know a ton about the rod's history, it's a Gene Edwards 8.5' 3/2 with 18/64 and 12/64 ferrules, but I don't know much else, as it doesn't have the original tube and the rod doesn't bear any other markings. I'm not a collector, I'm just in the market for rods that I like how they fish. Might not even be the original reel seat or anything, but I liked how it performed and I got it for a good deal, so I figured I'd fish it!

I like it with a WF6, but I definitely think it could cast a 7, and it can even throw a DT5 without speeding it up too much. No idea what it was originally rated for, the rod sock doesn't have any writing on it.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”