Orvis Madison purchase (pic corr.)

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

mdwinks
Sport

Orvis Madison purchase (pic corr.)

Post by mdwinks »

Hi Everyone,

I'm mostly just "publicly celebrating" my first Orvis rod purchase. I had been looking to buy a Battenkill, but the opportunity came to get an Orvis Madison at what I felt was a pretty good price. I paid $300 for the rod (with tube and bag). The seller said its a slower action rod and protected tippets well. The rod is 2/1. 6'6" 4wt. weighting 2 3/8 ounces.

Here's a few questions if anyone cares to chime in:

My understanding is that this a low level Orvis. What are the differences between this and a Battenkill (beside that fact this comes with just 1 tip)?

Is there a "taper" that this compares to, or that has name? (flea, midge, etc.)

Although I bought the rod to fish, not to buy-and-sell, I'm curious what the market value might be (assuming the rod is in "very-good" condition). I assumed around $400, or perhaps just a little more.

Any thoughts are appreciated! -Mark

Last edited by mdwinks on 01/10/21 17:27, edited 1 time in total.

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Re: Orvis Madison purchase

Post by DireWolf53 »

Congratulations Mark,
You have yourself a fine rod. The Madison line of rods were basically one tip Battenkills. Sometimes the cane had a few surface imperfections but the rods themselves were built to the same std as the Battenkill rods. Your rod corresponds to a Deluxe or Superfine of the same size.
I think you'll find it fishes well with a 4 or 5wt line. I'll let others with a better idea chime in with an idea of the current value of the rod. That being said (IMHO) there isn't a glass or graphite rod out there there compares to your rod at the price you paid for it.
Enjoy your new rod.
Paul
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Orvis Madison purchase

Post by Greg Reynolds »

It's the Madison grade version of the "Flea" model. If it weighs 2 3/8-oz, it's the MCL (Madison Cork Locking) variant. I like the MCL rods quite a bit because of their light weight.

The only real difference between it and the high-grade "Flea" is the reel seat and having 1 tip. Orvis used cosmetically blemished bamboo for the lower grade rods, but you're not likely to notice.

A copy & paste from my notes:
"The 6 1/2-foot, 2-oz, 10/64-ferrule Flea has a slow-action taper for 4-weight synthetic lines. It was designed by Wes Jordan in collaboration with Bud Frasca of William Mills & Son in New York City. It was introduced in the 1967 catalog and made through 1992.

During its production, it was also offered in Madison (1969-1992, variously with walnut or cork-locking reel seats) and “125” (1982-1985) grades. The Flea was re-released in a special high-grade limited-edition in 2007 and cataloged through 2009."

The price you paid is lower than I'd expect--they're a desirable model.

Get back to me with the serial number after you receive it, and I'll add it to my database

Best regards,
Greg

mdwinks
Sport

Re: Orvis Madison purchase (pic corr.)

Post by mdwinks »

Sorry, I originally had the wrong pictures attached (although these aren't too great either).

The serial number is 77822.

Thanks gents, great info!

wb4tjh
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wb4tjh »

According to Orvis, the ONLY difference between the Battenkill and Madison are purely cosmetic; the tapers are identical between the same model Battenkill and Madisons. Cosmetic blemishes are in the cane, NOT in the finished rods. I have seen Mdison rods with two factory tips, likely special order.
Last edited by wb4tjh on 02/01/21 18:04, edited 1 time in total.

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

The only difference between my Battenkills and Madisons is in the latter having one or two blackish "water stains".

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Shrimpman wrote:
01/23/21 00:06
The only difference between my Battenkills and Madisons is in the latter having one or two blackish "water stains".
Water stains? I thought they were beauty marks. :D

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

Precisely! I like extra fungus on my pizza and casseroles, so why not a little on my fly rods?

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”