What's your favorite fishing situation?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

What is your favorite fishing situation? For me, it is dry flies during a hatch of mayflies. I like wets and streamers, but the dry fly game is elevated in my eye. My favorite situation is the last week in May, or beginning of June when the sulfur hatch is on. It's an evening rise, and can often be difficult. One night it's like sunfish-off-the-dock; the next, you can't buy a fish. Same hatch, same weather, same time. The mystery is part of its appeal. i also love it when the sulfurs subside, followed by the March Brown spinner fall, which brings up the bigger trout.

novisor12
Guide

Re: What's your favorite fishing situation?

Post by novisor12 »

1.) The Hendrickson hatch
1.A) Hoppers on a stream that has large trout and gets almost no pressure.

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

flat water, tiny flies and an aggressive feeding situation that is a conundrum . . .as close to heaven as I'm likely to get
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

Oxbow
Master Guide

Post by Oxbow »

I also love the hatches, especially looking for the largest fish sipping and then targeting that fish. But my favorite situation is when on a small stream with nothing going on. Then I see a nice trout rise, note the location and estimate where the fish settles down. Game on - it’s just me, the trout, stream and trees, nobody else. Then studying the current for the best place to land my fly and moving into the best location. All the while watching for another rise in the meantime. Probably thinking I may have one shot. I usually wait for another rise to tell me I have not spooked the fish and then cast after determining what type of cast is needed. Sometimes it works and sometimes not but it’s the discovery and thinking process that excites me. Great question.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

post-spawn pike on the flats and in the weedbeds. As visual as any dry fly fishing with the fish generally being a lot bigger. And the electricity of a pike hammering a neutrally buoyant streamer is violent and as adrenaline producing than any other style of fishing for me.

NSA PDI Gnome

twistedtippet
Guide

Post by twistedtippet »

For me it's Trico's. Mid morning spinner falls, 24 & 26 spinners on 12' 8x leader, and a 2 weight rod. Every fish in the river busy gobbling tiny spinners off the surface. Goes on for almost 6 weeks most years.
tt
------------------------------------------------------
Even the blind squirrel gets an occasional nut.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

I like fishing when the Adams or Royal Coachman are hatching. No, actually I get the most thrill when fish are feeding on flies fished in the film.

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

In recollecting, I have to say I've enjoyed myself most when the fish are just "on" and not too picky about the pattern. Just having a Humpy tied on and being able to concentrate on presentation, as opposed to having to decipher why your flies are being refused, makes for a simpler pleasure.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

What does this topic have to do with collecting bamboo fly rods? Just curious...
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

Just dreaming - smallest headwaters in an eastern forest, mid/late summer - long hike in - and then a Leonard Catskill 8' (2-3 wt)... one box of flies - #20 spider with gold floss body, #22 para ant, #18 pheasant tail, #22 olive... I seek this out... the beauty of an eastern forest leaves me quiet...

Ear4
Master Guide

Post by Ear4 »

Sporadic mayfly hatch over smooth water. Picking an individual fish and trying to get THAT fish to eat a fly. And the really good ones do not take on the first drift of the first fly. Few things are finer in life than getting stuck on that one fish who keeps eating naturals but I have not cracked yet. Adjusting flies, angles, etc. I loose all track of time. Hopefully I do get it in the end but I love the process.

Oh and the flies are dries or emergers

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Eric Peper wrote:
01/10/21 19:10
flat water, tiny flies and an aggressive feeding situation that is a conundrum . . .as close to heaven as I'm likely to get
You, you...Ranch addict, you.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

nativebrownie wrote:
01/10/21 20:42
Just dreaming - smallest headwaters in an eastern forest, mid/late summer - long hike in - and then a Leonard Catskill 8' (2-3 wt)... one box of flies - #20 spider with gold floss body, #22 para ant, #18 pheasant tail, #22 olive... I seek this out... the beauty of an eastern forest leaves me quiet...
Yes this I can relate to, to the max. I’ll add that the getting into position, then making the perfect first cast, and getting that fish to rise, ahhh. With a lite cane rod, like a Catskill.

m1911
Sport

Post by m1911 »

Later in the Fall, low clouds and rain; or snow.....and all alone.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

Stalking risers alone on flat water and spying them out in those little out of the way locations on the river. Gentle bank feeders in the shade: very large wild fish, very tiny nearly imperceptible little disturbance to the surface. On the best days it takes some time to study and chose the best position and angle to thwart the current tongues that made the fish choose that lie, and then... perfection!
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

Flyman615 wrote:
01/10/21 20:35
What does this topic have to do with collecting bamboo fly rods? Just curious...
Good point! :lol I paid no attention to the sub-forum, just the topic.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Always changing, but lately I've really enjoyed early season black stones up top in Jersey.

Also had a 3 days stretch on the East Branch one summer where streamers were on all day. For 3 days we slugged giant browns on them, like a ten a piece each day. I remember I pulled one through a chocolatey feeder pouring into the river and caught one that has a bunch of worms hanging out of its mouth. Amazing time.

mac7x
Master Guide

Post by mac7x »

I love fishing Wilson's old home pool early in the morning, early July. One of the best pools on the Miramichi. Around 9 o'clock, see fish showing above the Priceville footbridge, knowing they will soon be arriving, hopefully willing to take a fly.
Absolute favorite is being able to take the time to fish for a salmon that has shown interest in a fly but not taken it. Not always possible if rotation fishing, especially if the fish is moving.

ted patlen
Master Guide

Post by ted patlen »

Searching for sporadic, feeding fish in impossible lies.

cappy
Guide

Post by cappy »

Tiny deep woods NE WTS late spring, or early fall with a light rod and buggy dry fly, while everyone else is fishing larger streams.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”