What's your favorite fishing situation?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: What's your favorite fishing situation?

Post by billems »

Nice to know we have so many dry fly fans. I often get weary at fly shops when some guy gets in my face with: "Well, when I go fishing, I go to catch fish!"

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

when steelhead eagerly eat skating dry flies.

jvh
Master Guide

Post by jvh »

My favorite is bluegills on beds. Use a short 4 wt and wet flies or popping bugs.
Vern

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

Happy bonefish tailing along a a mangrove bank.

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

Any time I can go is the best, or favorite time for me! I don't have to have a hatch, or even catch fish, though I rarely get skunked, but the getting on the stream is what brings sanity back to an other words topsy turvy world like we're having now. But I guess my really favorite time is when I can have the stream where I'm fishing to myself so I can enjoy the solitude and commune with nature, and appreciate what our good Lord has created for us to enjoy. It's not always the catching that is the most important part of fly fishing!

wiesent
Sport

Post by wiesent »

I have really come to appreciate autumn fishing last year. When the trees begin to change color and already a little begin to fall from the trees. In addition, a beautiful sunshine and everything is nice and quiet and you hear only the birds chirping. In the best case still a hatch of small flies, a beautiful bamboo rod and the day can only be terrific.

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

Though I've only fished there on 2 trips 14 days total, the endless shallow flats on Ambergris Caye, Belize. With a calm wind and the sun behind you it's possible to see bonefish from a distance, wade quietly to them and see the fly taken and then it's hang on!

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

billems wrote:
01/11/21 11:41
Nice to know we have so many dry fly fans. I often get weary at fly shops when some guy gets in my face with: "Well, when I go fishing, I go to catch fish!"
That does get old.

scarlet>fire
Guide

Post by scarlet>fire »

So many favorites. First, my favorite situation is when I am on an adventure with my brothers or family and have multiple days committed to the adventure. Theres something about having plenty of time to settle into whatever the trip is.....mind frame is different than a day trip for sure.

For specifics- I really love a solid baetis or pmd hatch. I also really love swinging two handed rods for steelhead (winter or summer) Summer time in the high country, Fall on a lonely small stream in the Colorado foothills ranks up there too.......

Cheers and tight lines
Chris

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

For me it's a back country rock strewn stream in late July with no one around, sun shining, light breeze at 75-80 degrees. The stream has shrunk to fishable clear levels and there are midges, Green Drakes, PMD's, and terrestrials about. I have a sandwich and a bag of granola in the pack. I'm fishing with a 7'er for a 3 or 4wt. and I'm putt'en da steel to more trout than I can count. The trophy for the day might be a foot long. :)

GrsdLnr
Master Guide

Post by GrsdLnr »

Brooks wrote:
01/11/21 12:06
when steelhead eagerly eat skating dry flies.
X2 :skoal

Though just about any fish on a surface fly will do it for me.

Drossi
Master Guide

Post by Drossi »

My local stream has a pretty good Iso hatch in and around father's day. I love fishing it for a variety of sentimental reasons that go beyond the actual event.

A close 2nd would be small stream fishing for wild browns after a late spring storm gets them up and dirty. Love to fish little dark buggers and hunt for out sized fish, a 14"er in a stream that usually only gives up 8"ers really gets the juices flowing.

pgwulf
Guide

Post by pgwulf »

By myself, with trout rising to adults for which I have the proper size, shape and color imitation.
"Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend...inside a dog, it's too dark to read!" Groucho Marx

CDCdun
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by CDCdun »

I suppose my very favorite fishing situation is casting a dry fly to a rising fish. I am positioned down river and casting straight up over his back. Everyone always talks about the need for a downstream presentation to selective fish, but 95% of the time I'll take an upstream presentation. To add to it, I can see numerous heads up around the one I'm casting to. I know, once I fool the first fish, my next targets have already shown themselves! The river doesn't matter so much as long as its a beautiful setting. Henry's Fork, south fork of the Snake, Madison, Yellowstone...all great.

My next favorite situation is swinging flies for steelhead, especially once I've had a hit or grab, letting me know the fish are in there!

Jake

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

Flykuni3 wrote:
01/11/21 02:39
Eric Peper wrote:
01/10/21 19:10
flat water, tiny flies and an aggressive feeding situation that is a conundrum . . .as close to heaven as I'm likely to get
You, you...Ranch addict, you.
I'm trying to quit!
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

McHull
Master Guide

Post by McHull »

This!
A nice boulder choked freestone river that will allow you to fish big bushy dry flies or a brace of nymphs or soft hackles.

In the night I dreamed of trout-fishing - The Maine Woods - Henry David Thoreau

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Me with a fine fly rod near or in a body of water containing fish...I'm easy.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

retro-1
Guide

Post by retro-1 »

Favorite is 75 deg. before or after run off, dry dropper conditions.
Did least favorite yesterday. -8 degrees, wind, iced up guides ect.
No strikes, still better than a good day at work.
Eleven Mile Canyon, Lake George, Co.

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

I love finding fish eating on a far cutback bank of a wide wading river like the Lamar in the Lamar Valley, and then having them take a dry gently before they even know they ate a fly, when you tighten your line and feel the thump thump of a big boy. I also love casting deep into a mangrove slot accurately and swimming a suspending streamer out of the mangrove and then see a flash and fell the pull as you strip strike and try and pull that hoss out of his house.

sodbank
Master Guide

Post by sodbank »

I truly love trout and salmon fishing through out the country but my home waters here in South Jersey hold a special
place in choosing my favorite fishing.
It's 11:00 pm on a moonless night in late May. The tide is high , up in the salt grass and just stating to ebb. I can hear
the tail slaps and slurps of Striped Bass and Weakfish feeding on the baitfish and shrimp coming out of the grass on the dropping
tide along a sodbank with a steep drop into deep water. I wade quietly along the bank and make a 40 ft. cast up current that
lands just inches off the grass. Strip strip strip and BANG! Strip strike and hold on as a 15lb.bass or 8lb. weakie clear your
line out of your stripping basket and are into the backing of your 8wt. in just seconds!

Doug

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”