What's your favorite fishing situation?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Bill Terry
Guide

Re: What's your favorite fishing situation?

Post by Bill Terry »

PT, am one day going to NZ, gathering info till that happy day comes...is the dry fly casting in NZ truly the long distance casting of legend?
[/quote]

Sometimes. The fish in NZ are extremely spooky. If you can get a drag-free float from a longer distance, you have a better chance of not spooking a fish. I'm a passable caster, but not an expert, and sometimes the needed distance taxes my limits. My moments of greatest glory were on a backcountry NZ river where the fish was about 80-85 feet upstream, and I needed to lead it by several feet. I either caught the same fish (a 9-pound rainbow) three years in a row or caught three different fish of the same size there in successive years.

No, I can't usually make 85- or 90-foot casts. It helped a lot that I was standing on a rock 10 feet above the river.
Ad piscatoribus sunt omnes res secundi.

Gnat
Sport

Post by Gnat »

Dry flies when trout will rise on small to medium size mountain streams and lakes.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

When I'm catching fish.

orangescud
Sport

Post by orangescud »

Swinging soft hackles when caddis are hatching. The tug is the drug!

Diamond Dan
Guide

Post by Diamond Dan »

Large fish rising along the bank on an outside bend during a Blue Winged Olive hatch.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

I'll go a little different route. My favorite situation is to be fishing in a river/creek/lake with a high fish density. I figure I can sort out everything else if I am confident there are fish there......

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

JUSTAPAYNE
Sport

Post by JUSTAPAYNE »

To protect you guys from my poor American language... a few pics to say it all about a favorite day by the riverside

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”