Is this a better casting motion?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Is this a better casting motion?

Post by billems »

They guys above who mentioned not to mix the standard style cast with the Lefty Kreh method are on the money. Lefty fished a lot of species that demand power casting, and few could compete with him in that arena. For general fresh waster trout fishing, stay with the traditional method as taught my Joan Wulff, Mel Krieger, etc. A great book that illustrates the classic style casting is Joe Brooks' book, "Trout Fishing." The diagrams and explanations are laid out in marvelous detail. Good luck.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Put your right foot forward like Korich. That will help with your shoulder movement.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

As I wrote earlier you're getting there. Try this with a rod outside to see what happens.

The movement is a bit rough yet. We need to fine-tune the angle of the fore arm. In this video it's locked in a 90 degree angle with your upper arm. This angle starts quite small/narrow when casting short distances and gradually widens as you increase (if needed at all) casting distance.

I can understand that meeting with an instructor or going to the GGCC is not what you want with the current pandemic. Casting is fun, so it's probably a nice way to fill up a few moments in a day.

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tim Anderson »

There is not really a pandemic-related problem with going to the Golden Gate Angling and Casting Club ponds in Golden Gate park in San Francisco. The ponds are large and very much open-air. Social distancing is easy and visitors wear masks when they are close to somebody else. Saturday mornings are the best time to encounter the bamboo crowd, but excellent casters are not limited to the bamboo folks.

I assume that the Oakland casting ponds have similar conditions, but I am a GGACC fan.

Tim

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

Please don't consider this "snide," but I learn more about my casting stroke by "listening" to what the rod tells me than I do from any other input. As the years go by and the quiver gets a bit more full, I've noticed that my timing and stroke varies from rod to rod -- not substantially but enough that it makes a difference, sometimes quite a significant difference.
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

Minnesota
Guide

Post by Minnesota »

Eric Peper wrote:
01/20/21 10:34
Please don't consider this "snide," but I learn more about my casting stroke by "listening" to what the rod tells me than I do from any other input. As the years go by and the quiver gets a bit more full, I've noticed that my timing and stroke varies from rod to rod -- not substantially but enough that it makes a difference, sometimes quite a significant difference.
I know what you mean. As Lefty Krey put it “ I didn’t make the cast, the rod did it.”
Regards,
Richard

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Too much wrist not enough vertical movement for me. Im out west so need an authoritative power stroke most of the time that relies more on skeletal structures and bigger muscle groups in the back and shoulder.

John

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”