finally a rod is fishable

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

woody osborne
Guide

finally a rod is fishable

Post by woody osborne »

today i got to lawn cast a dennis stone blank i been getting together for a while. it is his thinned version of the f e thomas special light. 8' 4/5 wt. i cast a 5 wt line on it, smooth, well behaved rod as far as i can tell. very, very happy with the rod.
it sure puts some line out. i have another of his f e thomas blanks as well, though not the thinned down version. pics will not be forthcoming due to finish apparitions that make it look less than let's just say great. looking forward to improving finish techniques on the next rod. i used gudebrod yellow silk, an old stock struble seat with walnut insert, blued ferrules(builder installed), black snakes and an Joe Arguello agate stripper.
much appreciation of the rod builder's craft here. you guys/gals are pretty spiffy. future plans for this rod include redoing wraps and varnish properly(better).
Last edited by woody osborne on 07/14/23 19:52, edited 1 time in total.

wb4tjh
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: finally a rod is fishable

Post by wb4tjh »

I have three of Dennis' rods I built from blanks,,,,two Dickersons, a 7012, 8014, and his three piece Cascade taper. All of them have been fine casting and fishing tools. I went whole hog on the Cascade...had Dennis hollow build it, flame and ammonia gas the blank. it came out to a beautiful dark caramel color and I installee a nice coco bolo real seat. It is trukly a beautiful rod that casts and looks just stunning in the sun.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”