Braided nylon fly lines

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Braided nylon fly lines

Post by kevinhaney1 »

I've acquired a bunch of old braided nylon fly lines. Not knowing their history, I assume they were made to look like silk lines during the transition from silk to nylon in the 1950s? Since they look very much like silk lines, is there an easy way to tell the difference? And if one wanted to use them, do they require a line dressing to float like silk? And lastly, with nylon that old, would it be wise to use them at all?
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

Lanny
Sport

Re: Braided nylon fly lines

Post by Lanny »

Hi,
I'm no expert but I think there is a burn test. If you burn silk it burns like hair whereas nylon makes a hard plastic blob on the end. I believe dressing helps them float, but not sure if it is necessary.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

Burn test is a good way to tell, you can dress them, they are typically "lighter" or less dense than silk of the same diameters.
You could use them, but I would not use them on "good fish".
Just my opinions.

6tUc05
Master Guide

Post by 6tUc05 »

The two greatest dangers to nylon, in order of significance, are ultraviolet light (UV) and heat. If they have been kept indoors in a moderately cool environment, they Could Be "good as new". You can use the same test that is used on old silk lines: simply pull off lengths convenient for you to pull as hard as you can between your hands "hand over hand" until you have pulled the entire line. If they have been weakened by either, they will break at the weakened spots. Think; Monofilament leaders, and you should be OK. As previously noted, the "burn test" is the simplest way to differentiate. Burned silk leaves ash, burned nylon a "plastic" ball.

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Thanks for all of the information everyone. The one question I still have is do they need dressing to float?

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

I have used them, refinished them and yes you do need to dress them. As as stated burning is the easiest way to determine the difference. They fish very well, though they vary a quite a bit in specifications, as far as weight goes. Which is similar to the difference in silk lines. If you want to refinish them you treat them the same as silk.

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

If you want to refinish them you treat them the same as silk.
So you really need to coat them with varnish? It just sounds like varnish and nylon would not mix well.

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

No, the lines just need to be treated (dressed) with a floatant such as Mucilin to make them buoyant. That is if the finish is still good.

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Do nylon lines have a finish on them? If so what is it?

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

It's varnish.

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

kevinhaney1 wrote:
01/16/21 12:51
If you want to refinish them you treat them the same as silk.
So you really need to coat them with varnish? It just sounds like varnish and nylon would not mix well.
f you need to refinish the line you would use the same formula for silk, "Over My Waders" formula. To float the line while fishing you need to apply a floatant, Otter Butter or Red Muclin.

fishbates
Master Guide

Post by fishbates »

Yes same formula
I like nylon as much as silk
Fine diameter
Very cheap
General don’t rot
Cast great
Dave

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

So what is the time period during which these braided nylon lines were made? And how do you tell if it needs a new coat of varnish rather than just dressing it with a floatant and going fishing?

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”