Reccommendation for a 3 piece 7.5 - 8 ft rod

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

thomast
Sport

Reccommendation for a 3 piece 7.5 - 8 ft rod

Post by thomast »

Hello!

I am looking for a three piece rod in a length between 7,5 and 8 ft for a 5/6 line.

Three piece for travel purposes (once it's possible again).

I almost only fish dry flies, so what model would you reccommend?

I would prefer a rod by a "classic" maker, not a clone.

My budget is about 2.000 USD.

Thanks!
Thomas

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Reccommendation for a 3 piece 7.5 - 8 ft rod

Post by adrien schnee »

Hi Thomas, when you say a “ classic “ maker, do you mean a builder who offers their own proprietary tapers, or a maker or workshop that comes from a classical period of building, ie the 1950’s or 1960’s? Are you looking for a used rod or to order one from a current builder, or either? Some builders do have fairly long wait lists which I guess you know, which is one reason I ask also. I’m not sure when you were hoping to have the rod, ie this year?

Also, do you have a preference in rod action? Some of the European bamboo rods I have owned had fairly fast tapers. Your preference in rod action will influence the recommendations also.

Best
Adrien

thomast
Sport

Post by thomast »

Hello, with "classic" I mean (older) rods by makers such as Winston, Orvis, Thomas & Thomas, Payne, Leonard etc.

So rods that usually have been used. My favourite dry fly rod has a slower action - it's a Thomas & Thomas Special Trouter.
(Here would be a lighter 3-piece version, but it's too expensive for what it is, in my opinion: http://www.ricksrods.com/product_view.asp?pID=2291)

I also fish with Brunner rods which are very fast (Wildwasser series) but I prefer slower ones.

Regards,
Thomas

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

For a more friendly price tag you should add Heddons, Grangers, Phillipsons and Hardys to the list. These are in the $400-1000 range

Salar4me
Guide

Post by Salar4me »

I second the Orvis 3/2 8’ . Looked for one for about 5 years and paid about $500 us. You can then send me the balance of $1,500! Just kidding! For the price range you are interested in... would think you could find a Leonard

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

Suggest a Granger 8040 as a very user friendly taper. I thoroughly enjoy mine with a standard DT4 or an SA GPX DT4 (about a "4.5)".
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

A budget of $2000 buys a lot of rod. The H. L. Leonard 50DF comes to mind. Rods don't come more "classic" than that.

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Greg Reynolds wrote:
01/18/21 09:59
A budget of $2000 buys a lot of rod. The H. L. Leonard 50DF comes to mind. Rods don't come more "classic" than that.
Greg is right, with that budget, you may as well go for a Leonard, F.E. Thomas, or Payne.

Leonard 50 DF (8') or 49 DF (7 1/2') will come in under budget. An F.E. Thomas Special in either length will also. You might get lucky and find a Payne in your preferred lengths, if you are not looking for "collector grade" rods.

thomast
Sport

Post by thomast »

Thanks for all the replies, my #1 choice would be a Leonard 50DF.
But I will also look for F.E. Thomas, Payne, Granger and Phillipson.

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

Your budget can accommodate a number of paths to achieve success. And I do note you are seeking a 5/6 WT rod. In no particular order;

1) Payne 202, @3/2, 8'0" depending on the rod can be a strong 5WT, a 5/6 or 6WT. Will be at your upper price limit.

2) Heddon Model #17, 20, 35, 50, @8'0", 3/2, 2F should fit in a similar range as noted above & as noted be easier on your pocket book.

3) Granger 8040, 8'0", 3/2, with the above range, above the price of a Heddon, maybe.

4) Not classic, but worth a mention, George Mauer made a "Rocky Mountain Special" in a 7'9", 3/2 configuration for 5/6WT. A nice rod out west.

There are others, the above I am familiar with.

If you have the time, spend the time in your search and cast the rods. You will find a variance within a model line in the ability to handle the two lines noted.

Carl

corlay
Master Guide

Post by corlay »

$2k budget?
RD Taylor.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Blackburn! His 8' 3/2 5wt. rocks.

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Post by DireWolf53 »

corlay wrote:
01/19/21 10:27
$2k budget?
RD Taylor.
+1 on an RD Taylor. I picked up a 35 this summer and couldn't be more pleased.
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

thomast
Sport

Post by thomast »

Thanks, excellent input, just read RD Taylor's credentials, sounds great!

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Not sure if Bob Taylor is ready to build rods again as his workshop burnt down last year?

Palakona123
Guide

Post by Palakona123 »

The Hardy CC de France is a good, quick dry fly rod. Most of them are two piece rods, but they made a 3/2 version too. In my opinion they are worth buying just because of the looks (the pree war versions with graduated intermediates and signature wraps).

thomast
Sport

Post by thomast »

I own a Hardy CC de France 2 piece 8 ft rod - definitely nice.
But I already have lots of Hardys but hardly any American made rods.
That's why a Payne, Granger or Leonard would be my first choice.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

See how many choices you have? We're probably getting you more confused than informed. The Granger 8040 Victory or Special in great condition is among the ultimate "all 'rounders." The Jenkins 71/2 or 8 ft. rods are stellar in build and performance. Loads more, but those are my suggestions.

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Booman2 »

My choices would be a good Leonard M-50 DF or (less expensive) a Granger 8040. I have fished both for many years and they are great. Either could sell for equal or more than you paid in the event that you move on to something else.. These are really great rods, IMO.
Both these rods are 'classic' so be sure to buy from a reputable dealer or do your own research, there are some poor restorations out there.

Bethabara
Guide

Post by Bethabara »

Hello Thomast; I was reading your post and wanted to say, first of all, be careful of what you buy from whom. There are thousands of knock-offs on the market.
I can certainly recommend that you look into West Slopes' website, he is very discriminating in what he offers.
Also Len Codelas in Florida, a very nice person to do business with.
I do realize that a vintage 3/2 magnificent reed from a master builder is very appealing and of course, it's very collectible. But if the rod had not been properly serviced in recent years you may be in for disappointments once on the water. I like your budget $ figure but once again, be careful of what you buy.
If I were buying a 5/6 weight rod in 3/2 configuration I would find an 8.0 ft. rod. Most prefer a 4 wt or a 4/5 weight in 7.6 ft. configuration.
But now all these rods kind of depends on what you fishing for and where.
Mike

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”