fly reel

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Oatka II

fly reel

Post by Oatka II »

I have a Hardy 3" pre WW II St. George Reel and I want to find a Bamboo fly rod to compliment my reel. What weight fly rod should I look for?

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: fly reel

Post by PYochim »

I'd pair it with a 5 weight. Something to consider is that double taper lines take up more space on the reel than weight forward lines of the same weight. So if you use a WF you will be able to get more backing in it, for what that is worth.

60InchDV8
Master Guide

Post by 60InchDV8 »

Assuming you are wanting to match this great reel with a rod for small to medium size streams, I would recommend a 3 to 5 wt dry fly rod, from 6 to 7 1/2 feet. I like a midge style rod for dry fly fishing on small streams. A Hardy CC de France from 6 to 7 ft and a silk 3 or 4 wt line would be a versatile outfit for small to medium size streams and an ideal match.
Regards from the Restigouche ... Jim

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

A superb functional and aesthetic match for a 7.5 to 8.5 foot 4 or 5wt. If your reel has an aluminium reel back, it would better match the shorter end of the spectrum. You could go beyond these limits in either direction, but why?

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”