Warmwater Rods

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Warmwater Rods

Post by Canewrap »

I've been playing around with short 6wts for warmwater fishing situations. Is there enough of a demand for these kinds of rods? Or, is everybody just keyed into trout rods for bamboo?

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Warmwater Rods

Post by oddsnrods »

Over the years I have come up with rods I wanted to fish with for various warm water species- spinning rods of various lengths, a few carp rods on British tapers, bait casting from bass to muskie plus a double handed spey rods.

One 'crowning glory' was managing two 20lb + muskie in a day on one of my rods, almost a third which veered off at the last moment..

Lots of species to make rods for.

Malcolm

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

I use a Asbjorn Horgard bamboo for float tubing for bass and other warm water fishes. 8' for a 7 weight and it is just great!

mcflyfish
Guide

Post by mcflyfish »

I live in a 'warmwater' environment and fish almost every day..primarily with my plastic rods...yet...since I fish my bamboo for trout only a few times each year on trips...I occasionally get them out just for a change and fish them locally. An 8' 5wt is great for the bluegills and crappie, but I prefer a 8'6" 6/7wt for bass and even use my Carlin 8'6" 7/8 for small tarpon and redfish.

IndyRiver

Post by IndyRiver »

I fish warm water primarily and enjoy a short 6 weight bamboo rod. Works well from a boat or kayak. I actually fish a 5 weight rod with a 6 weight line so that I can fish slightly larger flies when the need calls for it.

alberta al
Master Guide

Post by alberta al »

Back in my Minnesota days, my main rods were a Mike Clark 8 foot 2/2 6 weight and an Orvis 9 foot 2/2 9 weight. I caught everything with those two rods. The Orvis was my big stick for casting the huge poppers and hairbugs for pike and muskie. The Clark was my bluegill and bassing rod, but it did catch a 25 pound muskie in Pokegama Lake near Grand Rapids. I also used both up on the North Shore.

6tUc05
Master Guide

Post by 6tUc05 »

For all practical purposes, having spent my entire fishing career (just shy of 80 years now) here in Texas, where "trout streams" are about as scarce as "hen's teeth", to regularly fly fish, one had to zero in on the "warm water" species. In my formative years as a fly fisher, I was taught that you selected a rod based on it's line weight rating, which was (is) correlated to fly size. Thus, you determined fly size first, which led to the proper line weight, and ultimately to the proper rod. Typical winds in the fishing area also had (have) a significant role in the process. Big, bulky deer hair flies require a heavier line, which can increase by as much as 2 line sizes (i.e., from a 5 to a 7wt) in areas with prevailing high winds (the Texas Gulf Coast is a prime example, as daily winds can average in the 20mph range). (Back in those days, the 9ft rod was pretty much the norm.) Such daily ranges are not uncommon in the Central Grassland Prairie region. Most all of my colleagues recommend anything from a 5 wt to a 9 wt; be it glass or grass. Rods within this range also work quite well for our coastal bays where the targets are typically young redfish, speckled trout, sheepshead, etc. With few exceptions the bamboo rods in my quiver are 5wt and above. So,I would say that there is definitely a niche today for rods of 5 wt and greater. Also, IMHO, it is not so much the equipment as is the knowing HOW to properly use the equipment. As I recall, Lee Wulff was a proponent of this philosophy. as they say; "Whatever floats your boat."

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”