Henrys Fork - Ranch Section in July?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Dead Drifter

Henrys Fork - Ranch Section in July?

Post by Dead Drifter »

Hello All.

So I have some forced furlough days this year, and was thinking of a 4-day weekend (Thursday to Sunday) in either June (starting the 24th) or July (starting the 15th or 22nd). About a 10-12 hour drive from Colorado, so will probably get full days of fishing on Friday and Saturday.

Any thoughts on timing? Latter part of June or Mid-late July? Looking for the best dry fly opportunities.

I look forward to the sage advise from forum members who know the ranch well.

Thanks,
Dave
Last edited by Dead Drifter on 02/08/21 16:18, edited 1 time in total.

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Henrys Park - Ranch Section in July?

Post by narcodog »

Th best fishing I have had is in June. The grass has not gotten thick and there were plenty of bugs. I am not an expert though I did stay at Holiday Inn a time or two.

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

For the Ranch, the late June time is definitely likely to be better. Green drakes in late morning and brown drakes in the evenings are the famous hatches, but caddis and PMD's are also likely. The lower HF should also be very good at that time. That's not to say that the mid July time isn't also very good, with caddis, flavs, and PMD's the likely good hatches along with ants and beetles. Check out the archived fishing reports from Henry's Fork Anglers and Trouthunter to get an idea of the hatches.

The late June time will have more anglers on the Ranch because of the drake hatches, but it's a wide river with miles of water, so you don't need to crowd or be crowded by other anglers.

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

Since I don't fish the HF in the "shoulder seasons" (early spring/late fall) so I can't say I've ever fished it when it wasn't at least fairly crowded and certainly never when the drakes are hatching. That's a world class event and it brings people in from all over the world. I hit it in late June exactly once and it was crazy busy, which is not a huge data sample but big enough for me since my preference is smaller, back country, no-name waters.

But, what the heck, each season is different and sometimes you just have to go when you have the times so, I'd say go and do your best. 16pmd is correct, there is LOTS of water in the HF so if you catch it just right, or even if you don't, it might be an epic trip. :)

Pat
P.S. I would do my gazetteer research before the trip and be prepared to do some walking/exploring. Even some of the lesser fished stretches can sometimes have some dandy fish. And, HF is a special river and well worth fishing any time you can get to it. I haven't fished her in 5-6 years now. First, due to crowds and the last few due to water fluctuations. But, I'm getting the itch to go back this year if the COVID thing is winding down. Well, maybe next year? :)

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

Since I live in Island Park I would consider 3 options vs. HF.
Madison River outside YNP
Yellowstone River YNP
Slough/Soda Butte Creek YNP
Dennis

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

I feel compelled to reply because the "Ranch" stretch of the Henry's Fork is the only place I fish anymore due to one of cancer's "gifts that keeps on giving" -- substantially reduced and unstable mobility. That said, I have always felt that fishing the Ranch is at least as great a test of hunting as it is of fishing. You are constantly carefully walking the banks looking for rising fish primarily because you will almost always find them. Once a feeder (or feeders) is found it becomes a situation of figuring out what they are eating and what stage of the foodform is catching the fish's eye. Your best bet is to figure you'll wear out a lot of felt walking the banks, and use a lot of tippet changing flies, but if you're careful and perceptive you'll get some of what I consider the most entertaining fishing available anywhere. As far as timing, well, I've spent an average of four months there each summer for the last 20 years, and I've had good and bad periods in each of those months, but I've always been entertained.

Eric

Late Edit: It's possible that one of the most valuable pieces of gear you could have is a seine net to aid in discovering what bug is the "plat du jour" for those maddening sippers.
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

I've never fished the HF, too many people for me. But I'm curious. Why don't I ever hear about fishing the canyon stretch down stream from the "Ranch" ? I've never fished it but that water looks awesome.

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

Hellmtflies wrote:
02/07/21 10:40
I've never fished the HF, too many people for me. But I'm curious. Why don't I ever hear about fishing the canyon stretch down stream from the "Ranch" ? I've never fished it but that water looks awesome.
That water IS awesome. Getting to it can be, shall we say, a tad challenging . . .but not nearly as challenging (from all I hear) as getting out. It's been getting fished a bit more in the past 6-7 years.

As to the "too many people" on the Ranch stretch . . . yeah, but it's pretty easy to get away from them and because of the "sameness" of the Ranch water, the fish can be anywhere . . . and generally are.
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

Why don't I ever hear about fishing the canyon stretch down stream from the "Ranch"
As I recall there is quite a bit of water between the bottom of the ranch and the start of the canyon. There is a turn out just west of where the highway crosses the river. Follow for a couple miles and there is a dirt road to the right which will bring you down to a stretch of HF just above the canyon.

RandallM
Master Guide

Re: Henrys Fork - Ranch Section in July?

Post by RandallM »

I'm hoping to be back out on the ranch this year from July 8th to the 12th. A bit late for the green drake hatch, but should still be a good trip.

Missed out last year due to the beer plague which was disappointing to say the least.

Ryan_pv

Post by Ryan_pv »

Hellmtflies wrote:
That’s a great stretch of water from where the ranch ends down to riverside campground. There’s some nice technical ranch-type water until the canyon begins and the homes in pinehaven. That canyon holds a lot of salmon flies and golden stones early season. Osborne to Riverside, as it’s called, is a fun drift.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Ryan_pv wrote:
04/11/21 10:06
Hellmtflies wrote:
That’s a great stretch of water from where the ranch ends down to riverside campground. There’s some nice technical ranch-type water until the canyon begins and the homes in pinehaven. That canyon holds a lot of salmon flies and golden stones early season. Osborne to Riverside, as it’s called, is a fun drift.
No, I was talking about the water below the water falls.

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Henrys Fork - Ranch Section in July?

Post by 16pmd »

That section, Cardiac Canyon, doesn't get fished much. Difficult put-in for guides, who have to drag an inflatable down a steep slope, then stay out of its way as it begins to pick up speed on its own and tough for clients to walk down that slope to the river. Only one good walk-in access for wading anglers and tough wading/scrambling from there. Marine Corps-types like it for wade fishing, but not a lot of pressure and some good fishing, mainly with nymphs.

Ryan_pv

Post by Ryan_pv »

Hellmtflies wrote:
04/12/21 12:05
Ryan_pv wrote:
04/11/21 10:06
Hellmtflies wrote:
No, I was talking about the water below the water falls.
Ben Smith @ Trouthunter knows that stretch real well. Fished it with him for the first time last June. Yep, gotta drag an inflatable down a steep dirt path. Not far after the put in there’s a nice little drop down “surprise falls.” Fun section to fish. Very scenic. You take out at the Warm River ramp after the bridge.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”