Silk fly line

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Palakona123
Guide

Silk fly line

Post by Palakona123 »

I’m thinking of buying a silk line, and I have looked through some different options. On my list I have the Phoenix, Terenzio, Thebault and Peche a soie.
Would some of them be better that others, or are they all very much the same? Are there any big difference in tapers? I am first and foremost thinking of buying a DT 5 and 6, but most of the fishing I do is on large waters, so I am also considering a WF. Also, I am in need of a DT 13 (ish) if I am to fish a couple of my salmon rods, so I wonder if any of these makes are open for special orders.
All input is appreciated.

JUSTAPAYNE
Sport

Re: Silk fly line

Post by JUSTAPAYNE »

I have about 12 of them and fish exclusively with silk from DT3 to WF7. I would consider Phoenix first as the quality is constant over the years, I know they do take orders for salmon lines but I think a DT13 could be challenging. Never own a Terenzio witch have the reputation to need a long breaking period. Thebault are good ones but production isn't steady in quality.

60InchDV8
Master Guide

Post by 60InchDV8 »

I would recommend Terenzio who would be able to offer DT and WF as well as TT and shooting heads for your salmon rods.
Regards from the Restigouche....Jim

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

terenzio a little rougher but after a couple of uses just as nice as my Phoenix lines.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Terenzio also makes half line weights and artificial silk (easier maintenance) - I have a 5.5 artificial and it is a great line.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Vintage salmon lines can be picked up for pretty cheap. I have a DT-10 and -11 that are both nice I think they set me back $20 for the pair.

Palakona123
Guide

Post by Palakona123 »

Didn’t know about the half line weight Terenzi, it would defentley suit a couple of my rods well, so I guess it’s going to be a Terenzio DT 4,5 and Phoenix DT 6 than. Thanks for helpful replies once again.

scarlet>fire
Guide

Post by scarlet>fire »

I have fished silk lines a long time and prefer Phoenix. I did recently order a couple of 1/2 dt 4 lines from zen outfitters and I am excited to check those out as well. Have fished all of them listed and have enjoyed them all. Cheers- bamboo and silk is a nice combo. Best, Chris

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

I like the Phoenix lines but I am also a fan of those made by Ian Moxon. I have a DT 4/5, 25 yards and I have just bought a DT 5, 18 yards. The 18 yard, DT line I think is a useful length for stream fishing, less line to unreel and dry out and proportionately cheaper. The 18 yard Moxon line costs less than half the price of a new, 30 yard Phoenix line. Worthy of consideration, I think.

A difference between the Moxon and the Phoenix is that the Moxon has a very fine tip with a built-in loop, which is just visible in the photo.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Thanks for the heads up on Moxon lines.

dqatar
Guide

Post by dqatar »

To all of you silk fly line Lovers ,you need to Explain to the new-be , Whats the Proper way to Dress Silk Fly Line .making sure that it wont sink . Thank you

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Use otter butter. Comes with a chamois applicator and directions. Less sticky than red mucilin and lasts longer.
Last edited by BigTJ on 04/16/21 14:55, edited 1 time in total.

baughb
Guide

Post by baughb »

I bought a Zen Silk for my 5 wt and it is a fine line and I was glad to support another board member. Even had my choice of color.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Food for thought - https://www.overmywaders.com/index.php?cleaningsilk
Complete honesty - I have two lines I have fully reconditioned into garbage. Not my calling obviously.

Some find getting into reconditioning a joy... or you can find one near new and work it into what you need.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

perfesser
Guide

Post by perfesser »

ian moxon's lines are now sold exclusively by richard fieldhouse at www.barbless-flies.co.uk. they run from about $100-$130 with free shipping. i own four of mr. moxon's lines: two l4's, one dt6 and one dt7. i also own a level 4 phoenix fly line. mr. moxon's lines are not finished as smoothly out of the box as the lines from phoenix, but of course, they become better filled and polished over time in use. they are very consistent in diameter down their lengths, and they float and cast just the same to me. moxon lines have several redeeming features: one, they taper to extremely fine tips which allow a shorter leader and tippet combo, two, the level lines come with furled leaders which, in effect, makes them a tapered line, and three, they are less than half the price of a phoenix. my normal procedure with silk lines is to bring two lined spools with me, say two 4's or 6's, and if one begins to sink badly and i wish to continue to fish on top, i just swap spools and deal with drying and regreasing at home.

i have used my moxon lines for over a year now, and am quite pleased with their performance and value.

i also own and use a pair of newton streamline silk lines, a dt5 and a dt6 purchased nib, and they have given good service as well. if one was on the bubble thinking of trying silk, as bigtj pointed out, deals are availabe on ebay. i've purchased seven lines from the bay for between $29 and $45 and only been stung once.

reviewing your question palakona123, phoenix and moxon does offer wf lines but i would suggest instead of getting a weight forward line, just get the next size down double taper. it will weigh less at 60-70 feet, and the ability to mend it will remain. i no longer use wf lines.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”