Small brushy stream rod recommendations?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

MKA
Sport

Re: Small brushy stream rod recommendations?

Post by MKA »

I have a couple of streams that sound much like the environment you described. And like you, I didn't want to take a nice rod into those streams due to high risk of damaging a rod. Fishing just isn't fun to me if I'm worried about breaking or damaging a nice rod as I bushwhack through some mountain creeks of mine. I picked up on the auction site three years ago a 6' 3wt Zhus bamboo rod for $70 and it works just fine. Roll casts better than some of my premium rods, actually. I have just as much fun bringing in a little wild brown on it as any of my premium classic rods. Last year I added another 6'8" 3wt Zhus rod ($125) and like it as much as the 6' rod. They aren't status brands, but I won't cry if I break one of them either.

chestatee
Master Guide

Post by chestatee »

PHY Midge. Here's Bob Lancaster's iteration. There are many fine builders duplicating this taper. Heavenly for all small stream, bushy environs.

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

What a gorgeous stream and the rod is clearly a good fit. Hopefully it is not too difficult to navigate.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

I would never, ever recommend a glass rod like the amazing $70 Cabela's 3/1 fiberglass for 4/5 lines. With it's sharp green blank, excellent wraps and finish, fine reel seat and bag and carrying case. Never.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

nuchamps5 wrote:
02/23/21 21:16
Flykuni3 wrote:
02/23/21 21:10
My top-rated 7’ is the all-around Duracane, they come up for sale now n then. But the 7’, a good one, is usually pricey, you know this already. I fish tight streams, and I like my 6 1/2s a lot, but the 7’ is versatile. (If you can find a one-tipper the price will be lower, and fishing small doesnt put much wear on a rod.)
Thanks! I've never fished a Leonard, but it's on my wish list. Do you find the 7' Duracane does well with a 4 wt on short casts?
Yes it will, it's a great taper, works in small places or larger. In fact, my largest spring creek fish ever, a measured 24", was taken with a 7' Duracane and 6x, black beetle. And I take my best rods into rough territory, most of the time that's what I fish. Small California creek, with logs, rocks, branches everywhere, but great fishing with an 8' Akimaru for DT3. (You just have to take it slow and easy and be careful. One, to save your body, two to care for the rod. My fibula says so. The repaired one.)

VanfromMaine
Guide

Post by VanfromMaine »

I have a Pennington 6 1/2' 4wt Canadian great rod if you can find one

nuchamps5
Sport

Post by nuchamps5 »

Flykuni3 wrote:
02/24/21 19:22
I would never, ever recommend a glass rod like the amazing $70 Cabela's 3/1 fiberglass for 4/5 lines. With it's sharp green blank, excellent wraps and finish, fine reel seat and bag and carrying case. Never.
Of course, nobody would ever recommend something like that! :lol

Kenneth
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Kenneth »

Coming really late to the conversation, but, yes, Orvis Flea.

Or the Rocky Mountain, even more of a pocket rocket for the extremely tight situations.

Or any vintage 6-1/2' to 7' Orvis, for that matter -- the good thing is that they're great rods for not too much dinero, most will easily come in under $1,000.

How about Cottengim rods? His 6 to 7 footers are great for your application, and extremely good value for money.

BTW, @Chestatee, I did a double take when I saw your photo. Here's the near mirror image why:

The rod in the photo above, An R. Sealey Tudor Lightweight 7' 3wt made in Redditch, is another superb "small brushy stream" tool that costs next to nothing, but I've never seen another, so I can't really recommend it. Not like Darrell's other "non-recommendation" :lol .

Good luck on your hunt,
Kenneth

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

I don't see fishing small water is any more dangerous to a rod than larger venue's unless your a complet Klutz. Why have nice equipment if you're not going to use it.

cappy
Guide

Post by cappy »

rsagebrush wrote:
02/25/21 08:23
I don't see fishing small water is any more dangerous to a rod than larger venue's unless your a complet Klutz. Why have nice equipment if you're not going to use it.
I could introduce you some waters that would change your mind. I'm sure a few spoken words would be "are you nuts", where did all them fallen spruce trees come from, and we need to go over and under them because the banks are to thick to get out - LOL
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

rsagebrush wrote:
I agree. I've been fishing short bamboo rods on tiny rhododendron & mountain laurel choked streams for many years without harming a rod. Difficult streams require careful, slow-paced fishing to even get a shot at the fish--or prevent breaking a leg a long way from the car... :(

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Agree with the recommendations to seek an Orvis Flea, or a PHY Midge (or clone), but also to consider contacting Tommasini on the Forum for one of his 5'5" 3/4 wts.

nuchamps5
Sport

Post by nuchamps5 »

rsagebrush wrote:
I mean, I guess I agree, I've never broken a graphite or fiberglass rod on these streams, so maybe it's not any more dangerous to the rod. There are definitely some places where I question my sanity for trying to fish it, but even then, I suppose, my rod hasn't broken.

I think my bigger question was what to fish that would be affordable. I've got a PHY clone on the way, but prior to that, I didn't even have a short, light line bamboo rod.

Kai Larson
Sport

Post by Kai Larson »

Joe Arguello 3 weight is my go-to rod for small streams with brush or a tight canopy.

I fish this rod more than all others in my quiver combined.

dder
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by dder »

One rod not mentioned and a real favorite of mine is a 7 foot 3 p 4wt that Dennis Stone makes. its a great taper and based on a shorten 7630 Granger taper.Think it would be a good fit for small bushy water. I bought a blank and wrapped it myself but think Dennis would do one for around your price range. I wouldn,t recommend bashing it through the brush but fish pretty thick small mountian streams around here and as has been said you just have to take your time and move slowly and carefully.heres a picture of stream.steep and rocky
and here is one of rod and fish
Daryl

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

rsagebrush wrote:
02/24/21 09:07
Member Tommasini here sells really nice bamboo rods he makes for a very fair price, I have a 6' 3pce 2/3 wt (I prefer 3wt) that works excellently for the waters you refer too.
For sure - superb on my smallest headwaters...

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

Save up a little extra money and get that Flea. I challenge you to find one negative word about that rod on this forum...

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

I like short rods and have several but in this situation there is an argument for a longer rod which may be better for roll casting.

Cod Beck, Yorkshire, UK. When I am not using an 8' or 7'6" rod I use a 6'9", #4, Constable Wallop Brook Rod.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Yep, that is more open than our mountain streams and I would go with an 7.5 or 8ft rod there. Right now, I am building myself a 6' 8" 4wt. for close quarters work.

nuchamps5
Sport

Post by nuchamps5 »

Godfroy wrote:
02/25/21 16:00
I like short rods and have several but in this situation there is an argument for a longer rod which may be better for roll casting.

Cod Beck, Yorkshire, UK. When I am not using an 8' or 7'6" rod I use a 6'9", #4, Constable Wallop Brook Rod.

I think I'd agree that, in that scenario, I'd like an 8' rod, both for roll casting and to help with steeple casts over bankside vegetation. We have plenty of streams here like that, and I'd definitely go with a longer rod in those cases.

I'm thinking more picking through downed trees, bow and arrow casts, with an occasional roll cast thrown in.

What I love about these threads is the wide range of tactics people like and I love seeing the differences in what we think of when I say "small brushy stream." I'd categorize everything people have shown as a "small brushy stream" even though my mental image is different from some of them. :)

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”