Phillipson Paragon 9' 3/2 5 1/2oz

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Phillipson Paragon 9' 3/2 5 1/2oz

Post by ozarkwater »

For the above configuration...anyone on the board have experience with this rod?

Line weight you find best suited, handling. Any info at all is appreciated. What time frame for production also. Maybe should post under fishing the rod section...

Thank you!

Dave Westburg
Guide

Re: Phillipson Paragon 9' 3/2 5 1/2oz

Post by Dave Westburg »

I have a 9' 5 5/8 oz Phillipson Power Pakt. It's a 7 weight. It's not particular as to line. 7 weight Cortland sylk WF, 7 weight 406 WF, 7 weight sink tip, 7 weight Cortland WF intermediate, 7 weight Cortland full sinking line... I fish streamers with it on big rivers and sometimes use it in the salt water on windy days or in British Columbia when I'm on a trophy kamploops lake. Bright action and can cast a long ways.

The Paragon was the lowest of 5 different grades of Phillipson Bamboo rods. Pretty sure they were made from 1945 to 1952 when the Paragon grade was dropped.

Lots of great info on the Phillipson rod company in Dick Spurr and Michael Sinclair's book Colorado Classic Cane.

Here's me putting my 9' phillipson to work chasing bull trout in the washington cascades.

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

Thank you! Exactly the info I wanted.

BigDog57
Sport

Post by BigDog57 »

"The Paragon was the lowest of 5 different grades of Phillipson Bamboo rods. Pretty sure they were made from 1945 to 1952 when the Paragon grade was dropped. "

Actually, Paragon was added to the bottom of the Phillipson line during the second year of production, so actually in 1947. It wasn't one of the original 4 grades. Pacemaker, Pow'r Pakt, Paramount, & Premium were the original 4.
With the shift to Impregnated rods (Preferred and Peerless) the varnished rods were phased out. It's not completely clear to me, but I think the lower grades like the Paragon were the first to be dropped, as you stated.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I've probably caught more 20+" fish on this rod than any other I own. I used it on the "Miracle Mile' in the late 80's to early 90's. I was in The Mister' pawn shop in Fort Collins, CO, when a guy came in looking to sell this rod, both tips too! The shop offered $20, I offered $25. They kicked me out but I bought it. I put an overcoat on it, and that was it. I use a 6 or 7 wt.

Jay Edwards

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”