The curse of the first cast

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

The curse of the first cast

Post by kevinhaney1 »

I went fishing on a little Trout Creek today and again fell victim to what I call the curse of the first cast. I caught a nice rainbow on the first cast, and then nothing else the whole day. This seems to happen to me more often than not. Is this curse a real thing? Does it happen to other people, or just me?
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

adkfan
Guide

Re: The curse of the first cast

Post by adkfan »

Yes, experience has taught me that a fish on the first cast does not bode well for the balance of my day

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Exact opposite for me. If I get one in the first few casts usually means “it’s on” and I just completely hose them rest of the day.

If I don’t touch a fish after 4 or 5 runs and I’ve cycled through 5 or 6 fly changes that’s when I know it’s no bueno.

nuchamps5
Sport

Post by nuchamps5 »

I find I usually snag a tree on my first cast, but no curse for me, I usually can't stop catching trees all day! :D

jmcj1984
Guide

Post by jmcj1984 »

It is much worse if it is a salmon or Steelhead , I have gone home after the first cast also had many long days after the first cast fish,it is more satisfying to fish all day and catch one in the last few minutes ,keep at it luck might change

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Happened to me today - same thing. One fish - bam!
Then nothing for 30 mins... poo.
I even moved a little.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Unthinkable, that trout on the first cast. A curse that has been around for a very long time. So spooky. :evil

I had a good friend that had been making plans to fish Montana for a long time. Pouring over maps, calling outfitters for the best time of year. Researching insects etc. etc. The the day came when he got on the plane and landed in Missoula. Which, is scary enough. Anyway, he rushed to the rental car and blasted down the highway to Rock Creek. Through open the door and grabbed his rod as he splashed into the creek. Flipped out the line with some indescribable fly and woosh! The trout was on, his very first cast. He hasn't caught a trout in Montana since. Years of counseling hasn't eased the pain or metal anguish. His angling soul had been stolen. The curse lives. Sad.

:)

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Years ago when I lived in the Twin Cities I ordered a rod from Jim Reams. I receives a call from him one evening (long ahead of schedule) saying he had shipped my rod that afternoon. The rod (8'6" five weight) arrived a few days later. I was anxious to christen it so the following day I drone to the Namekagon to try it out. On the first cast I took a brown that was probably 18". The fish hit a large stonefly nymph. No more fish that day. Not even a strike.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Yes! The curse is real. I can't believe you guys are talking about this.

I was out with a friend this winter who first casted us, I was so bummed haha. He knew it, too. Couldn't even enjoy the fish because we were cursed.

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

If the curse is indeed real, there must be some sort of anti-curse, gypsies tear concoction, or other spells to ward it off. Anyone have one?

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Hey if I catch a fish that is a blessing! First cast? heck even better chasin the ole skunk off early.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

kevinhaney1 wrote - there must be some sort of anti-curse
Please remove this curse for the time being. Thank you.

The discussion is under review by the ruling board - and is pending immediate but short term reversal since we are asking politely.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

Dwight
Guide

Post by Dwight »

My goodness! I think I would’ve been better off not knowing about this phenomenon. I don’t think I’ve ever been “fortunate” enough to hook one on my first cast, lol.

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

The discussion is under review by the ruling board - and is pending immediate but short term reversal since we are asking politely.
??????

St Vrain Angler
Master Guide

Post by St Vrain Angler »

And all these years I thought the curse was unique to me.
I finally solved the problem by quietly reciting on my first cast, "I hope this second cast is as good as my first."

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

cabin fever 101!
jim w

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

I fished a favorite stretch for 2 hours only to find ample boot tracks and cleat marks on the rocks and Zero fish. Moved to another spot and on the virge of giving up hooked one decent brown. I guess the moral of my story is at least I got one. Hopefully better days are ahead.

redietz
Master Guide

Post by redietz »

I'm a firm believer in that curse. In fact, I always make my first cast a "junk" one to place that I don't expect to catch a fish, for instance to where I just waded in from. If I do hook a fish in spite of that precaution (it has happened) I'll put some slack in the line and hope the fish shakes itself off.

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

I'm a firm believer in that curse. In fact, I always make my first cast a "junk" one to place that I don't expect to catch a fish, for instance to where I just waded in from. If I do hook a fish in spite of that precaution (it has happened) I'll put some slack in the line and hope the fish shakes itself off.
Now that's the best advice yet!

Expsp4043
Sport

Post by Expsp4043 »

I fished the Pine Creek near Gaines, Pa. this morning. I hooked and landed a beautiful 14 inch rainbow on my first cast. Several casts later I caught a 12 incher. I then took several side steps to my left, stepped on a slippery slanted rock and fell in the ice cold water clear up to my chest. I scrambled to my feet, uttered a few choice words and went to my car where my waiting wife helped see undress and wring out my clothes. We then went to our camper near Galeton where I stripped down to my underwear and dried my clothes before heading home. I haven"t fallen in in quite a few years. The curse of the first cast?? Mike

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”