Fishing and the pandemic and these times

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Mister Bill
Master Guide

Fishing and the pandemic and these times

Post by Mister Bill »

What unusual experiences have you experienced during the pandemic and as we are rounding the corner?

Have you experienced any scarcity of products like rods, reels, wading gear, boats/float tubes and so forth?

It took me forever to receive a rod that was ready to ship because of the postal service snafu around election time. Don't know who to blame for that.

I had a long search before I finally found the float tube I was after, and that was sheer luck.

My fly shop said yesterday to allow three months to get a pair of the wading boots you want.

Lupalupa
Guide

Re: Fishing and the pandemic and these times

Post by Lupalupa »

I do not wear a mask when outdoors fishing by myself. I did have a woman approach me looking for some maskless camaraderie in the woods. She tried to get me to chant a few versus of "Freedom" with her. When I did not want to partake in the chant she walked off fist pumping in the air "Freedom, Freedom, Freedom"

It was odd and awkward to say the least

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

Lupalupa wrote:
04/11/21 09:49
I do not wear a mask when outdoors fishing by myself. I did have a woman approach me looking for some maskless camaraderie in the woods. She tried to get me to chant a few versus of "Freedom" with her. When I did not want to partake in the chant she walked off fist pumping in the air "Freedom, Freedom, Freedom"

It was odd and awkward to say the least
Was she naked? :D

cregb
Master Guide

Post by cregb »

An odd appearance of Mel Gibson from Braveheart for sure. I would have been a little unnerved as well.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

One thing that stands out for me is the increase of human traffic on trout streams using tackle that is not traditionally relegated to the species. I'm seeing tackle boxes and 5 gallon pails and lawn chairs and portable coolers being toted streamside. It is not for me to dictate how a person should choose to pursue their leisure, but it concerns me to see former productive and picturesque streams being depleted.

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

I experienced a major scarcity of access. In July 2020 I drove out to western MT. to fish where I have a number of times before. I arrived 3 days before the day the Tribal Council had announced the large Reservation I was staying on was to re-open for non-residents. They changed their minds and that meant that instead of being able to fish my favorite stream 17 minutes away from my rental, the nearest stream off the Reservation was about 55 minutes and some others 2 hours away. I was forced to fish quite a bit of new water and seem to have survived the experience unscathed.
Last edited by jimwright on 04/13/21 19:12, edited 1 time in total.

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

The biggest change for me was HUGELY elevated "people traffic" in heretofore overlooked areas that I like to tromp around in/on.

And, of course, with the much higher head counts on the streams and camping on every flat-ish spot you could park or plant a tent on, the trash and number of gates (on private lands) left open will make no friends with the landowners that have been kind enough to let a few of us who know and have permission to fish/hike private property. Time will tell what, if any, changes will come.

Pat

wannabe
Guide

Post by wannabe »

The most notable pandemic-related fishing disruption for me was the delay of a rod I had ordered on a trip to Japan in the summer of 2018. Last April--a year ago--I got the exciting news that my Takemoto, 8'6" #6, 3/2, eight-sided, composite ferrule rod (seen here on the "Got a new rod lately?" thread: ) had been completed and was ready for delivery. When the flyshop in Tokyo went to ship it, they were told that no international deliveries were going to the US. After a year of waiting, the flyshop was finally able to find a way to get it shipped to me. Looking forward to getting it on the water on those windy and/or big-bug days this season! I'm a patient guy, and fortunate to have enough rods so that I didn't find myself deprived in any profound way. But, even still, it was a more than a bit crazy-making to know that a cool, much anticipated new rod was ready but stuck in a closet waiting for delivery.

All's well that ends well.

Bret

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

We are very lucky. Both my wife and I have been working from home for over a year. Before the pandemic I was traveling quite a bit and with two kids (14 boy and 12 girl) it was hard on my wife. Getting a kitchen pass to go fishing was not as easy as these days, now, it is. I have basically gone fishing every weekend that I wanted to, weather conditions allowed. Also, working from home allows me to tie flies, tie a few flies everyday during boring meetings that I do not need to actively participate. I love fishing and cooking, two hobbies not materially affected by the pandemic.

I have seen heavier usage of my favorite fishing spots, but I fish very early and hike quite a bit. I barely see anybody but when I am hiking back or in the parking lot. I did go on my annual fishing trip out West early October without much problems. That time Wyoming. In a few months I will hit Colorado. The biggest drawback has been cancelling trips to see family in Spain and Canada, I fish in both places. Not been able to see my family has been the hardest.

We have not lost anybody close to us to the virus.... As I said, I am pretty lucky, a lot of people suffering a lot through the pandemic. Increase in fishing traffic and some garbage are issues that will diminish over time. Especially if we take a garbage bag with us each outing.

Tight Lines

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

Like many of you, I've seen an uptick of fly anglers. Outdoor sports is among the few activities available in this plague. I hear that Montana is overrun. I had difficulty getting a campsite in Minnesota State Parks. I try not to get frustrated by the crowds. Where else can they go? I do hope, however, that things return to normal when the pestilence subsides.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

I share your perspective regarding where and what else can they/we do? I had a devil of a time finding a new bike last spring and ended up buying one in the shipping carton. Some business concerns did benefit from this situation. Overall though, it has surely tested our resolve. Let's keep the faith and hope for a brighter future. Fortunately for me, I enjoy high tech Carp fishing!

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

barebo wrote:
04/11/21 16:45
One thing that stands out for me is the increase of human traffic on trout streams using tackle that is not traditionally relegated to the species. I'm seeing tackle boxes and 5 gallon pails and lawn chairs and portable coolers being toted streamside. It is not for me to dictate how a person should choose to pursue their leisure, but it concerns me to see former productive and picturesque streams being depleted.
Sounds like New Jersey. :)

ted patlen
Master Guide

Post by ted patlen »

Some of this new crop have zero respect for anything or anyone else. They are simply miserable, ignorant people. And Hellmtflies, I understand that it's easy to knock Jersey but I've see this behavior all over the Rockies, and in Eurpoe as well...

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Drossi
Master Guide

Post by Drossi »

Hellmtflies wrote:
04/17/21 09:39
barebo wrote:
04/11/21 16:45
Sounds like New Jersey. :)
I will have to add that in good 60 degree weather I fished both Saturday and Sunday mid-afternoon, with Hendricksons and caddis hatching on rather popular NJ area streams and had all the room I could want, saw only a few other anglers and 3 of them were a father with his 2 sons. Youth baseball and golf courses (and clubhouses) are opened up out here and people are beginning to go back to their regularly scheduled programming.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

I’m starting to see a dowtick in fishing pressure as other activities are opening up.

The craziest thing I saw last year was all the people overnight camping on the banks of one of my favorite rivers in undeveloped campgrounds because the legit campgrounds were all closed. Not going to miss folks camped out on some of my favorite runs.

John

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”