First Good Ride Of The Year

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

DaveNJ
Master Guide

First Good Ride Of The Year

Post by DaveNJ »

Fished the Catskills for the first time of the year yesterday. Got on the BK around 9, saw some caddis but no risers. It was eerily quiet and I didn't move a fish. I decided to slow down and drove around a bit, scoping out water. A riffle on the EB I like was looking good, but nothing. Went a little farther down river and walked into an area that can keep you busy all day if it's cooperating. Now at this point it's 65 degrees and lightly raining on and off. Quiet. Eerily quiet. And still no fish. I headed to a turbulent pocket that ALWAYS produces. If nothing hit there I would have gone home, but a pheasant tail proved deadly and I found three willing bows. One immediately took half my line out and walked me downstream about 100 yards. I hooked it at the top of a rough run and it just sweeps them downstream. That was my first fish of the year up there, and it was a backing fish! Pretty psyched. The other two were ok, I honestly dropped my tip on both of them and let them shake free because I didn't want to walk with them.

Tried another spot on the BK but couldn't find anything rising. An older guy entered the water way too close to me and without saying a word flicked a cigarette into the run, so I left. No time to fish with trashy people.

Saw one rise all day, presumably on a caddis.

We're about a week out from better action I'd say. Even though it was warm it was pretty much winter mode fishing still.

Expsp4043
Sport

Re: First Good Ride Of The Year

Post by Expsp4043 »

I fished the Willowemoc near the Museum on Saturday. Tried Nymphs, streamers and wets. Nothing. Never saw a rise. Talked to several other guys and they had the same results. Very few fishermen on the Willow and the Beaver. We did see 4 Bald Eagles in trees though. Water needs to warm up some I think. Mike

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Yea.... I worked very, very hard and covered a lot of water to find my fish. If I didn't have local knowledge I would have been SOL.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

"Tried another spot on the BK but couldn't find anything rising. An older guy entered the water way too close to me and without saying a word flicked a cigarette into the run, so I left. No time to fish with trashy people."

When will they ever learn. :(

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

I felt like it was deliberate. There are no shortage of awful encounters up there, haha.

However, I did meet my best fishing friend on the EB. That was a good run in.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

jhuskey wrote:
04/13/21 20:23
"Tried another spot on the BK but couldn't find anything rising. An older guy entered the water way too close to me and without saying a word flicked a cigarette into the run, so I left. No time to fish with trashy people."

When will they ever learn. :(
Chances are if this guy has made it to the "older guy" phase of his life, he'll never learn. And we continue to clean up after these reprobates.

upstate
Master Guide

Post by upstate »

Yeah reports are pretty poor. Perhaps last years drought and extremely hi water temps took its toll!!!

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

upstate wrote:
04/14/21 08:51
Yeah reports are pretty poor. Perhaps last years drought and extremely hi water temps took its toll!!!
I'll tell you.... last year was AMAZING until mid May and then just crapped out, IMO. It's a shame that Drakes on the BK have been unfisheable due to high temps the last few years.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”