Storing your rods

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Mister Bill
Master Guide

Storing your rods

Post by Mister Bill »

I was wondering how you guys store your rods, as there could be a number of opinions.

In a tube with the cap on?

In a tube with the cap off?

In a breathable wooden case/tube?

Out of the tube in the bag, maybe on a closet hanger?

Displayed openly on a rack?

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Re: Storing your rods

Post by DaveNJ »

In the tube, cap off. If I fish I let it dry on its sock for 24 hours. I basically don't use my caps unless I'm traveling or think others will handle them.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

In the tube, cap on loosely, so not totally air-tight, standing straight up in my closet.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

DaveNJ wrote:
04/19/21 08:38
In the tube, cap off. If I fish I let it dry on its sock for 24 hours. I basically don't use my caps unless I'm traveling or think others will handle them.
Ditto! For me too. Except I just leave the rod out of the tube until the next morning. Then into the tube it goes without the cap. The tubes are kept upright in the rack, caps off to let them breathe.

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

In the tube in vertical position with cap partially threaded. With so many rods, keeping caps in order would be a problem if left off.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

I vacillate on whether to leave the cap on the tube or not...there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus so long as the rod is dry. When I do, it's only threaded a half turn or so. Periodically I'll take the caps off to let them breath...not sure what's the proper protocol on this.

Like others, after a day's fishing, I hang my rod(s) in its bag from a nail or hook for a day or two to dry.

EastslopesTH
Master Guide

Post by EastslopesTH »

Out of the tube in the rod sock hanging in a cabinet. I've had to straighten too many rods that have been stored in the tube leaning in a corner.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

How does a rod take a set in a properly fitted aluminum tube, even if it is leaning in a corner? An aluminum tube cannot deflect under its own weight so is it the sections somehow deflecting under their own eight in the tube? Never heard of that one before but then again I store all my tubes vertically.

My rods are in the tube with the cap on, either in my gun cabinet or in a leather rod case. I have zero moisture issues so don’t need the cap off. Rods dry for 2-3 days before going back in a tube.

John

Woodlakejag
Master Guide

Post by Woodlakejag »

Most are out in display racks, the rest are in tubes in a tube rack. Caps are on. I think if the rods are kept in the house (as opposed to garage, attic, basement) they are fine in the tubes with the caps on, but who knows.
Facebook - Bamboo Fly Rod Identification and Value
Instagram - vintagebambooflyrods

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

My bamboo rods are stored vertically in four small, ventilated gun cabinets. In their tubes and bags with caps on. I also have a few on display, vertically and horizontally, but out of their tubes/bags and a few are jointed.

Scott
Last edited by Flyman615 on 04/19/21 14:16, edited 2 times in total.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

BigTJ wrote:
04/19/21 10:44
How does a rod take a set in a properly fitted aluminum tube, even if it is leaning in a corner? An aluminum tube cannot deflect under its own weight so is it the sections somehow deflecting under their own eight in the tube? Never heard of that one before but then again I store all my tubes vertically.

John
Especially when you consider the rod bag in the tube offers even more support/rigidity to the rod sections, so there's no way they can bend from their own weight.

EastslopesTH
Master Guide

Post by EastslopesTH »

BigTJ wrote:
How does a rod take a set in a properly fitted aluminum tube, even if it is leaning in a corner?
I think this is part of the issue for some rods, John - the tubes are not necessarily sized right for the number of rod sections. I think one key factor is maintaining proper room temperatures and not letting the rods get too warm. Sort of like fine wine!
Ron

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Tommasini wrote:
04/19/21 09:49
In the tube in vertical position with cap partially threaded. With so many rods, keeping caps in order would be a problem if left off.

Same as Marty.

MaccFly

Post by MaccFly »

Nice thread, I have a pair of 40yr old unfished flyrods in tubes, they are both die straight. I've made rod tubes for one or two of my rods ... it seems I might need to make more :-D

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

EastslopesTH wrote:
04/19/21 11:40
BigTJ wrote:
How does a rod take a set in a properly fitted aluminum tube, even if it is leaning in a corner?
I think this is part of the issue for some rods, John - the tubes are not necessarily sized right for the number of rod sections. I think one key factor is maintaining proper room temperatures and not letting the rods get too warm. Sort of like fine wine!
Ron
Agree on keeping the rods cool. My basement in Reno is ideal. It would be a great place to keep a mummy! Not a bad place for fly rods either. Much better than upstairs where we get very dry in the winter.

John

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

In the tube, cap on. Put away after thorough drying. I am not sure that exposing the rod to the wide humidity shifts we have here is a good idea
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Post by DireWolf53 »

I follow the KISS rule...
Vertical, thorough drying and caps on. Never have had an issue in 40 yrs with this protocol.
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

teter wrote:
04/19/21 11:40
Tommasini wrote:
04/19/21 09:49

Same as Marty.
No, not an issue. I simply place each cap down and to the left of the respective tubes. I don't have any children or pets so nothing ever gets moved unless I move it. :)

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

In a wardrobe, in their bags, attached to bulldog clips which are attached to coat hangers.

GrayHackleRods
Master Guide

Post by GrayHackleRods »

Vertically, in the rod sock, in a tube, caps on in a wine barrel, in my office in the basement.
Regards,
Lee
http://www.grayhacklerods.net
lee@grayhacklerods.net
Monument, CO
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm.
Patrick F. McManus

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”