Here we go again! Another MT Stream Access Fight.

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Montana SB354 is seeking to gut the MT Stream access law by changing prescriptive easements.https://legiscan.com/MT/text/SB354/2021 Already sailed thru the house of representatives and given the fresh batch of anti access senators and the new governor we are on track to having no stream access in MT by years end. Please write letters, emails, billboards whatever you can to stop this bill from becoming law. I have no party affiliation but this is a classic end around on a fundamental stream access law ,which brings about the potential end to sportsmen accessing streams in MT. Of course the sponsor is from Wibaux where fishing access brings in almost no revenue. With all the travelers, guides, sportsmen ect this bill could cost the state many millions in lost revenue. Please do what you can! Again no political affiliation just wanted to let folks know!
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Here we go again! Another MT Stream Access Fight.

Post by cdmoore »

Done!

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

One would think they would never do something so stupid...

MT legislature- hold my beer
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Oh you would be surprised the last election swept in some doosys.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

tyghguy
Guide

Post by tyghguy »

Water flows towards money and a lot of money has entered Montana Sad for all the regular folks that live there. I wish you all the best in defeating this. Public lands are under attack everywhere!

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Michael, seems similar to some of the issues that we are fighting here in Tasmania. On the occasions when I visited Montana, I thought that the access was really good and I wasn't aware of any problems (except for staying within the stream boundaries when fishing the Ruby). I wish my Montana friends all the best in fighting this nonsense.

Ear4
Master Guide

Post by Ear4 »

Definitely concerning and I would like to help. I am not sure how much weight an email from an out of state fisherman saying “I spend money in the state, if I can’t fish in MT, I will go elsewhere” will have.

Are there any local organizations that I can donate to, who can help fight the fight on the ground?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Why can’t Montana just stay Montana?....

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Please donate to PLWA : https://www.plwa.org/

1-855-318-1330 is the number of the citizen advocate for the Gov.

https://svc.mt.gov/gov/contact/shareopinion Fill out the contact form and let G>G know he promised to protect public access. Despite the fact he had already sued the state to disallow access as a civilian :(

Thanks for doing what you can.

Michael

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

Michael;

Just sent an email to the Governor of the great state of Montana. I'll get a check in the mail to PLWA.

Pat

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, This is not related except as it concerns the concerns of the less well connected:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/22/spor ... c10aa28f41

Jay Edwards

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

Yes, related in that , unfortunately, the prior access laws perfectly "fitted" the Montana of prior times. Just imo, the "new" proposed access laws will "fit" what Montana is becoming... at the loss of the many...
Related, interesting link...

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Email sent.

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

I sent an email and got a response of receipt very shortly thereafter.

Bill Terry
Guide

Post by Bill Terry »

I attempted to submit comments to Governor Gianforte through the link provided by snorider in post #9. I got an error message, and apparently my comments didn't go through. I guess I'll have to send them the old-fashioned way.

FWIW, here are my comments:

Dear Governor,

I have become aware of SB354, which would limit access by fishermen to Montana's world-class trout streams. For decades, Montana has been a Mecca for trout fishermen (and women) from all over the country and beyond, not only for the quality of its fishing but also because of the friendly stream access laws. Specifically, fishermen have been permitted to wade in rivers that flow through private property and to walk along the banks up to the mean high-water mark. This is in contrast to the oppressive laws in Wyoming and Colorado, which prohibit fishermen from even touching the bottom with an oar or an anchor while floating through private property. When I lived in Idaho, I would often fish in Montana, but almost never in Wyoming, entirely because of the more welcoming laws in Montana. (Idaho also has access laws like Montana's.) I never fished in Colorado until I moved here, and if Montana were not so far away, I would fish there and in Idaho exclusively instead of here.

Fishermen wading in rivers or walking along the banks do very little damage to the streambed or riparian habitat. One of the most serious reasons for degradation of riverine habitat is unrestricted cattle grazing along the banks. Cattle break down the banks and cause severe erosion. If ranchers through whose property rivers flow are concerned about environmental damage, they should put their own house in order first. Any other reason for restricting access has to be related to mean-spirited selfishness, which is unworthy to be codified into law.

Sportfishing is a major industry in Montana, accounting for about $700 million in economic output and over 6,000 jobs, according to the American Sportfishing Association (https://asafishing.org/state-reports/ec ... g-montana/). Passage of SB354 would adversely affect this industry and the Montanans who depend on it.

If SB 354 is passed, I urge you to veto it.

Sincerely,
William K. Terry
Ad piscatoribus sunt omnes res secundi.

St Vrain Angler
Master Guide

Post by St Vrain Angler »

Well-stated and nicely written, Bill.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

>: They, private land owners and their supporters, keep trying to wear us down. We must keep up the fight!!! Yes, Montana is changing and changing rapidly. But the loss of the Stream Access law would devastate many business in the outdoor industry. Recreational businesses are second in income producing industries here. Second only to the agricultural industry. The relationship between agriculture and recreation industries has improved in many ways over the years and has a way to go. But this isn't about that relationship as much as it is about the deep pockets wanting their stretch of any water to their selfish selves. IMHO. Please send your oppositions to the Montana Governor ASAP. Thank you.
Mark

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

I made the Paul Revere rounds of fly shops yesterday and this bill in certainly not flying under the radar! At one shop the owner just said "yes we do known!" and handed me a beer! Thats the Montana I love.

https://legiscan.com/MT/rollcall/SB354/id/1060501

Although still way too close to becoming law, there is a positive trend here. You can tell if the MT senate district has a popular fishery by looking for the red X's next to the letter R.

Keep up the good work and a heartfelt "THANK YOU" to everyone who has written letters, donated to the PLWA and told friends!

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

They'll have to amend Woody Guthrie's anthem to "This Land Aint Your Land; This Land Is My Land..."

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

What is the current status of this bill? I have tried to follow it on different sites, it appears to have remained in it's original form closing off public access currently in place and has moved on to the Governor's desk. Is this the case?

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”