Options from Midland, TX?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

OPBamboo

Options from Midland, TX?

Post by OPBamboo »

I'm going to be in Midland, TX For about six months, through early November. What are my options to find fish in (preferably) moving water, likely in the September/October time frame. Seems the options are northern NM/southern CO and Texas hill country, nothing closer than about four hours. Open to all suggestions/recommendations/ideas.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Options from Midland, TX?

Post by jim royston »

Maybe the Ruidoso River in Ruidoso N.M.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

Have George Bush helicopter you out to Montana on weekends. Or start bassin'.

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

About 7 hours from you is the Cimarron River in New Mexico. It is a small tailwater and I don't know how it fishes in the Fall. I fished it a few years ago in June and caught quite a few fish and had an enjoyable trip. Angel Fire, N.M. is just a few miles away and if you camp, there are numerous sites along the stream's path.

Cimarron
Guide

Post by Cimarron »

If you come to New Mexico you’ll be right at home. It seems the entire state of Texas comes for the summer and fall. Don’t forget your mask though, like they do.

6tUc05
Master Guide

Post by 6tUc05 »

Speaking as a Texan, the nearest trout fishing in Texas to the Midland/Odessa area is about 40 miles north of San Antonio, a several hour drive away on the Guadalupe River. It is a put-grow-take "tail-race" fishery that extends perhaps 25 river miles below the Canyon Lake Dam. It is the ONLY year-round trout fishery in the state. If you are Trout Unlimited Member, you may be able to access some of The Guadalupe Chapter leased waters along the river. However, there is ample public access along the river all they way down to the historic German community of Gruene (they don't pronounce it; they translate it: Green!)

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

I'm a wallpaper contractor and I drove to Midland for a job back in 2016. That place is a wasteland for trout fishing and I remember thinking that when I was there. Thankfully I got another job in Aspen in the fall of 2016 that redeemed the week I spent in Midland (which reminded me of my hometown of Bakersfield, CA which used to be a huge oil town too). 18 days in Aspen and it was either the Frying Pan, Roaring Fork, or go to work. Heaven!

TXTrout
Master Guide

Post by TXTrout »

Moving water in Texas is normally bass or panfish fishing, outside of the upper Canyon Lake tail water as previously described. There is some tank (pond) fishing for bass in that area, and a couple of lakes within a hour and a half from there.

I would generally look to the east of Ozona for most fishing and make a trip to the Devil's River state natural area. Amazing river.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

TX Trout what about carp? Nothing like sight fishing for grande onion ring lips with swimming nymphs in the fall when it cools down. Might be a good opportunity for the OP to stretch out his fly lines. The lake near my house in Reno kicked out a 35 ponder last year. Not on a fly but my buddy got one close to it on a fly.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mynews4.c ... ginia-lake

John

6tUc05
Master Guide

Post by 6tUc05 »

It goes without saying that to have carp, or any other fish, you first have to have water. Next, you have to have access to that water if you want to fish there. For the uninitiated, Midland is in one of the drier parts of the state and the nearest stream is the Pecos River, very close to 100 miles away. Not a bad drive; BUT, getting stream access from a landowner can be much more difficult than pulling hen's teeth. Ninety two percent of Texas is privately owned, and Texas landowners are notorious for "protecting their rights". You have to be a family member, or know a family member, to access most of the state. Texas, to my dismay (I have lived and fished here for just over 75 years!) is not like some of our neighboring states who negotiate "public access easements" with landowners. To add insult to injury, Texas Water Law is a bit uncertain as there is very little "case law", though the written law is rather clear. The "fly in the ointment" is in it's application. Who wants to pay surveyors to establish the legal "high water mark" for a given stretch? Definitely NOT the landowner; nor is the fisherman interested in paying the fees just to catch a few fish!

It is a bit unnerving to have a landowner point a rifle at you while wading a stretch of water and tell you to NOT come beyond point "X". Been there and done that!!!

cutthroattroutnm
Master Guide

Post by cutthroattroutnm »

If you have a LONG weekend in there, the San Juan River below. Navajo Dam would be a worthwhile trip. Just read the fishing reports on Abe’s website and follow the suggestions. Jay Walden is honest in his assessment and almost always spot on when it comes to flies and techniques. Good luck.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

I I live in a place where there is close to unlimited public river access and loads of trout. Need to remember to not take that for granted.

The SJ is a phenomenal river everybody should fish it at some point regardless of where they live.

John

Mister Bill
Master Guide

Post by Mister Bill »

I spent the summer in Hobbs in 1967. Did you know that there are no bridges in Hobbs, it is that flat.

I made the trip to Ruidosa when it was a hole in the wall. Better than a stick in the eye.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”