New Joe Balestrieri rod

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Erik F. Helm
Guide

New Joe Balestrieri rod

Post by Erik F. Helm »

Had a half-day off from guiding, and a new bamboo fly rod from Joe Balestrieri at Redwing fly rods. A 7'9" 4 wt. His long-taper parabolic. Wonderful rod for trout in the Driftless. Here is the baptism photo! Strong rod with authority just as I requested it. His own taper.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: New Joe Balestrieri rod

Post by GerardH »

Beautiful rod (and trutta), Eric!

Santafecino
Guide

Post by Santafecino »

Joe has the touch. I have several of his rods; all are lovely and possess balance and power. I've just received an 8 foot quad for #3-4 and can't wait to see action. I do like to make and restore rods, but with such a maker out there with reasonable prices, well, I've got a lot of his rods.
--Lindsay

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

In agreement here that Joe has the touch, he has built me 2 rods, his 9' 2" two pc. 8/9 wt. "Steelhead/Salt" taper and the same 7' 9" 2 pc. "Long Taper Parabolic" 4 wt. rod that you have save for a different grip. Joe works with you on a rod. He listened to where and how I fished and what I wanted. He made suggestions and explained why. I ended up with rods I was thoroughly satisfied with and at very reasonable prices.

Erik F. Helm
Guide

Post by Erik F. Helm »

Give him a call! He is old-style. No machines, just hand-work... and he may be the best there ever was. Concentration on art and the taper which he develops from your conversation. No two rods are alike. He is a sleeper for sure. Studied Paul Young and Pezon Michel. He was the U.S. repairer for Pezon, so he got to know the tapers, and developed his long-taper parabolics. He is less than half the price of any rod builder in his class. He just loves building rods, and seeing them used! (414) 828-1663 I have been his friend for 15 years. I don't get any kickback. I have a 6 wt. one off that he calls a Parabolic Pace. It is the best casting rod I have ever owned... and I am a casting instructor with over 3000 students taught. His lightened pare 15 for a 5 wt. (Keller model) is beyond amazing! An unsung artist working only for the art! I have cast Garrisons and Paynes... Gillums and Powels... Good... but they often did not dance. Joe Balestrieri rods do dance... a ballet... not a break-dance!

St Vrain Angler
Master Guide

Post by St Vrain Angler »

I was looking for a 7’ 4wt for small-to-medium streams and acquired Joe’s “Type Speedcast” by accident. At first, I thought I’d made a mistake (I’d never cast a parabolic rod before), but a little practice quickly changed my mind. It’s one of the smoothest, most accurate rods in my collection—a joy to cast and fish. And a beauty to look at.

mtnman
Guide

Post by mtnman »

Howdy Eric,

I just took one of Joe's 7'9" Long Parabolic's in on trade from a good customer and friend. It's a beautiful example of Joe's work and casts every bit as nice as it looks! I hate to turn loose of it.

Happy trails,
Russ
Russ Gabel
Frazier Mountain Fly Fishing Company
http://www.fraziermountainflyfishing.com/

Gnarl78

Post by Gnarl78 »

mtnman wrote:
05/02/21 18:49
Howdy Eric,

I just took one of Joe's 7'9" Long Parabolic's in on trade from a good customer and friend. It's a beautiful example of Joe's work and casts every bit as nice as it looks! I hate to turn loose of it.

Happy trails,
Russ
I am the fortunate recipient of this rod. It is my fourth one built by Joe, and I can’t wait to cast it! I echo the others saying he will build you a rod for your specific fishing situation.

Erik F. Helm
Guide

Post by Erik F. Helm »

Gnarl78
Have fun with that rod and congrats! You stole it for the price for sure!
I have known Joe Balestrieri for something like 15 years. We speak every other day about art and literature, culture, and philosophy! I own like 10 rods of his that he has hand made or tweaked or restored... even a Fritz Schreck. I have cast Garrisons, Dickersons, Youngs, Thomas, Winston, Leanords, etc. etc. etc. and beyond. I cast every bamboo rod at our regional gathering of builders here in the midwest. Joe's rods just have an Italian or Sicilian tenor voice to them. He is so under-rated. They just sing! Some day in 50 years, somebody will ask who the hell this was that made this nearly perfect fly rod...? A reclusive artist from the old East-Side of Milwaukee! Working in his garage... with a glass of white wine, and an Aria from Puccini to accompany the hand planing and thoughts... always shifting... always thinking... always altering... the taper!

mtnman
Guide

Post by mtnman »

Howdy Eric,

Hopefully you will appreciate my humor when I say: "I would rather think that I passed the Balestrieri rod on to a very nice and deserving gentleman for a fair price rather than someone having stole it from me" ;)

Happy trails,
Russ
Russ Gabel
Frazier Mountain Fly Fishing Company
http://www.fraziermountainflyfishing.com/

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”