Best Streamer 6-weight set-up?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

maruoff
Master Guide

Post by maruoff »

Looking for your opinions on a complete 6-weight streamer set-up.

Basically open to any recommendations in cane, glass or graphite. Stiff graphite e.g. like Sage TCR or RPLs not an option.

Looking for a powerful (not stiff) option, that easily loads at short distances but shoots out a lot of line if needed. Fishing from the bank or wading.
The line plays an important role here as well, so that would be interesting too.

Streamer sizes 2-10, so must not be able to cast 25cm-lemming-imitations.

Currently my set-up is either a Heddon 8.5ft 2F with a Cortland Clear tip WF6S or a Fenwick 856 with the same line and/or a Teeny 250grain sink tip.

Nice enough but still very interested in your opinions :-)! Take care and you and your families stay healthy!

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Best Streamer 6-weight set-up?

Post by ibookje »

Is fiberglass an option too?
If so there are tons of great streamer rods

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

PLenty of glass options - a vintage Fisher 8' #6 would be superb and a Fenwick 806 would do nicely. Have fished both with streamers ( and each will handle dries, also). If you go modern glass, get your wallet ready. Imo, I cannot believe how expensive modern "name" glass can be...

spruce grouse
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by spruce grouse »

In cane, I could heartily recommend a Chris Carlin SH series 6 wt. I see that the standard length is 8’6”, but the one he made me was 8’3”. Hollowbuilt, medium fast, pretty powerful. It was the one bamboo rod I took to Labrador for big brookies. Hopefully going to catch some hickory shad on it this evening.

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

Phillipson 9' 3/2 5 5/8 oz. taper rods in various grades are very good. I have one that's a trade rod (Ed M. Hunter Approved) and it's a favorite. It's not cranky about lines but I particularly like a WF6F "long belly" like the older Orvis "Easy Mend", it casts very well and mends easily (imagine) too.

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

Tom Morgan designed his glass Streamer Special 8'3" 6 wt. for what you're looking to do. He was an expert streamer fisherman. It's still made by Tom Morgan Rodsmiths and would be an excellent choice. I think it's available as a blank or as a finished rod.

maruoff
Master Guide

Post by maruoff »

Thanks much for your valueable insights!
What lines are you using with these rods exactly?

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

For getting a positive turnover a line with a ‘blunt’ front taper. There are many streamer lines but you could also look for a ‘nymph’ line (not Euro nymph). They have short front tapers to turn over rigs with bobbers

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

In Bamboo, look no further than the Granger 3/2, 9050 or 9053 rods for flinging streamers. Look for a good J.W. Young "Pridex" reel. Line it up with Cortland WF6F 444 Sylk and you will be set! Adjust your leader length for depth.
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

This may get the thread locked but the cts affinity x rods are unbelievable. They are fast but smooth and progressive in the longer rods. I’m using the 11’ 3 and 5 wts for most of my streamer fishing. The 11 foot 3 wt weighs a bit over 3.25 oz and throws a WF 5. From the bank it is unbelievable but it sucks pretty bad from from a boat. I am putting all my weight on sparsely-tied large-profile streamers (no split shot or sinking line) and using very long ultralight leaders. Completely dead euro style presentation as well. Results from Sunday attached below.

For bamboo my favorite streamer rod is my Karstetter Canadian Canoe 8.5’ with a DT-6 silk line or 9.5’ 5.1 oz EC Powell with the the same line on bigger rivers not fishing from a boat.

Cheers,

John

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

Hi Marcus Hope all is well. God, forgive you mention the dreaded graphite, John. It's all good. That whole process of locking up productive and fun threads simply because you mentioned "GRAPHITE" is so pretentious.
Marcus I too really like Tom Morgan's 8'3" six glass rod as due to the sensitive tip and how due to that it allows you to manipulate the streamer or any other wet pattern in a more delicate fashion where the strong more typical tapers on cane, glass and yes GRAPHITE doesn’t have the finesse to provide gentile movements in the fly. I have been using the Gartside soft hackle streamer with the Morgan rod and it really does provide more delicate movements to trigger those big browns in our area. It also can throw a long line which to me is essential in our area as the wild browns are so spooky. The advantage is the slower retrieve with more fine movements really works with marabou type patterns which I really enjoy. Too bad that they are not being made any more. Shane Grey built my rod and maybe he has more of the actual Morgan blanks built by that highly regarded guy in Kerry Burkhiemer. Not sure I have his name spelled correctly. Maybe he could build you a blank and have another glass builder such as Tim Liederman or Shane complete the rod for you. Wish the new Morgan crew had stuck with Kerry as his work is at the peak of quality but maybe there is a reason for that.

Thanks Bohemian Bob

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

16pmd wrote:
04/28/21 13:29
Tom Morgan designed his glass Streamer Special 8'3" 6 wt. for what you're looking to do. He was an expert streamer fisherman. It's still made by Tom Morgan Rodsmiths and would be an excellent choice. I think it's available as a blank or as a finished rod.
DITTO!

Tom McCoy
Sport

Post by Tom McCoy »

FWIW my favorite streamer rod is an old, ugly, beat up Fenwick FF80 4oz. 7/8. The more I cast that rod the better I like it. Has a strong but still feely tip that is just great for manipulating streamers....and they don't cost much!

novisor12
Guide

Post by novisor12 »

I'd go with a 7 weight for streamers. Pretty much any 7 glass weight would work. A sage sp 790 is slower than an rpl and much slower than a tcr. A scott g 790 is another one. I dont have much experience with bamboo so I'll defer to others but when you get to size 2 and 4 a 7 weight is a better choice than a 6 imo.

chsparkman
Master Guide

Post by chsparkman »

I agree with novisor12 that a 7-wt is great for streamers. A Dickerson 8015, 8615 or 901812-C throw out streamers with authority.
...as for us we pin our faith and fealty to the silk-wound PENTAGONAL rod cunningly yet simply devised of its FIVE subtle, individual triangular strips of cane throughout...

Holden, George Parker. (modified by me) Idyl of the Split Bamboo

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Marcus, with your Cortland 6 wt sinking line and your Teeny 250 gr sink tip, size 2 to 10 streamers, a very well balanced taper with a forgiving tip yet strong mid and butt is the Winston 9 foot 6 wt BII X designed by Sam Druckman. It’s a wonderful casting rod with a lot of feel for graphite that loads well in close, and in capable hands ( other than mine ) can unload an entire fly line as well. Even smaller trout still come alive on it. Not all of the rods in the BII X lineup were winners, but this one is.

With sinking lines and glass I think you might find the Epic 686 to have quite a lot more power in delivery than the Fenwick 856, though in fairness I have not handled that particular rod. The Epic retains the feel and flex of glass , but has an abundance of strength to handle sink tips and streamers. It can take on a 7 wt floating line easily as well. Much lighter in hand than some other longer glass rods I have handled as well. Can be found on the secondary market in 3 pc on CTS built blanks from NZ and currently in 4 pc on Korean made blanks. I think the differences are subtle, both would certainly do the job.

In bamboo in that length and line weight I really liked my Phillipson Dry Fly Special. It’s a wonderful taper, but the tips are not as beefy as on some other cane rods, and repeated casting of sink tip lines could possibly take it’s toll with sets. I personally would not be as comfortable using more valuable single hand ( for overhead casting delivery ) contemporary 6 wt hollow built rods with sink tips and streamers, simply because the ones I am familiar with have power, but thinner tips, and also a whack with a size 2 steamer on a 250 gr sink tip could cause serious damage.

The Phillipson 9 foot 7 wt could do the job, as could the Granger 9050 or 9053 as mentioned. There will be a lot less swing weight going with an 8 1/2 footer though and the Orvis lineup has one or two in that length that would likely be very good for your purpose. A Heddon 2 1/2 ferrule in the same length as your 2 F Heddon you are using now would provide some extra power as well. The Dickerson tapers mentioned above would be all be great, as would the 861711 in a 6 wt or the 8014 in a 6. Also in the Paul Young tapers a Para 15 with wet fly tip would work, or a Para 16 or even 17 and a heavier line.

But if you don’t need to fish bamboo for this purpose, the Epic and BII X are both terrific, light in hand, enjoyable rods that look great, will handle sinking lines and streamers fine and don’t cost a mint.

Good luck with the quest and I hope whatever you come up with, that it serves you well.

maruoff
Master Guide

Post by maruoff »

Thank you all for your excellent advise!

I had bought a Granger 9050 especially for that purpose years ago but stopped usinig it because its quite a hefty rod. Even though I fish bamboo at any length I find an 8.5ft just nicer to handle.

The Phillipsons and a Heddon 2.5F are options I havent considered yet so these are high on my list now. Will consider the other options still. Some very interesting rods mentioned here :-)...

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

Hi Marcus, I don't remember if we already discussed that "via" private messages... I used for years an 8'#6 two piece rod. It' s Cattanach's version of the Para15, tip being a mix of the original dry and wet tips. I used the rod as an allround, with floating DT#6 line, dry flies or nymphs. And with the sinking line WF#6 and streamers hook #2-8, mostly with streamers tied on #6 long shank hooks.

r :)

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

If you liked the Granger 9050 consider a Wright & McGill Water Seal in the 8 1/2' length. Mine is a true, solid 6 weight whereas I fish fives on my Granger 8642. Water Seals are impregnated so a bit more durable perhaps and I have been told that is why they fiosh a line weight heavier.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”